Author Topic: Buy SBR or convert AR pistol to SBR?  (Read 25948 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: Buy SBR or convert AR pistol to SBR?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Also of note, last year the ATF made a new updated ruling on "parts kits" and pistol conversions (thanks to T/C Arms).

Once a serialized receiver is listed as a rifle, it can only be converted to pistol or SBR with the ATF paperwork and stamp.
But, if it starts out as a pistol, then it can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol as long as the 16" barrel and 26"OAL is followed while a rifle...... and parts for both can be kept.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html#receiver-sale

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

scottr

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
Ahhh, short for, I'm Anal, it makes sense now. Perfect for lawyers. Or in this case I'm not Anal if you're a non-lawyer. Either way, it works.;D
FQ13

;D Indeed! I like it! And no, I'm NOT a lawyer. Thankfully.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
Also of note, last year the ATF made a new updated ruling on "parts kits" and pistol conversions (thanks to T/C Arms).

Once a serialized receiver is listed as a rifle, it can only be converted to pistol or SBR with the ATF paperwork and stamp.
But, if it starts out as a pistol, then it can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol as long as the 16" barrel and 26"OAL is followed while a rifle...... and parts for both can be kept.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html#receiver-sale

The specific regulation change may have been last year, but the original Thompson Center case was a SCOTUS ruling from back in the late 80's when I worked there the first time. (T/C, not SCOTUS, I'm not a lawyer either  ;D  )

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
The specific regulation change may have been last year, but the original Thompson Center case was a SCOTUS ruling from back in the late 80's when I worked there the first time. (T/C, not SCOTUS, I'm not a lawyer either  ;D  )

Yeah, I remember reading that it was an old SCotUS case. Heck of a lag-time.  ;D

You could probably do a better job than most Justices there.......... The paperwork was written a long time ago, all you have to do is read it.   ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »
Why not go with SIG's new ACP Tactical Transformer (LE version) as depicted in Guns&Ammo (Nov)? ATF makes life miserable, so why make their day?
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:22:03 AM »

rj112275

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »
Wow. Lots of stuff. So, the folding SBR is an option, but I'd have to wait out ATF paperwork... Or, buy pistol, have now, and file paperwork for SBR conversion?  Those sound reasonable?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk