Author Topic: Direct Tv moves Outdoor Channel  (Read 29835 times)

Long Armed Devil

• Forum Member
  • Think... then speak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Direct Tv moves Outdoor Channel
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »
Direct TV has move the Outdoor channel to an upper tier package.  I was very dismayed that I no longer recieve the Outdoor channel as part of my subscription package.  I guess the Outdoor channel got to popular and they decided to charge extra for it.  I called to complain and got a recorded message that said " if you are calling to ask what happened to my Outdoor channel...."  They said I can either order the sports package @ an additional $12.00 a month or go into the Premium level.  What a rip off. >:(  I am only one level below the premium level and don't think I should have to pay extra.  I waited to talk to a real person to express my dismay.  I even said give me back the Outdoor channel and take away Lifetime and TLC and Bloomberg and anything with Oprah on it.  No dice.  Got the we are so sorry crud. 

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Direct Tv moves Outdoor Channel
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
Direct TV has move the Outdoor channel to an upper tier package.  I was very dismayed that I no longer recieve the Outdoor channel as part of my subscription package.  I guess the Outdoor channel got to popular and they decided to charge extra for it.  I called to complain and got a recorded message that said " if you are calling to ask what happened to my Outdoor channel...."  They said I can either order the sports package @ an additional $12.00 a month or go into the Premium level.  What a rip off. >:(  I am only one level below the premium level and don't think I should have to pay extra.  I waited to talk to a real person to express my dismay.  I even said give me back the Outdoor channel and take away Lifetime and TLC and Bloomberg and anything with Oprah on it.  No dice.  Got the we are so sorry crud. 

When I switched from Dish to Direct, I checked ahead of time and found it was in the premium "Sports" package with about 40 channels I will never watch. I confirmed, however, that I could buy it ala carte.

When I got home the day of the install, I checked - no channels anywhere. Had to call to activate, then I inquired about Outdoor - no deal, I must buy the whole sports package. I went ballistic on the little minimum wage weasel who told me that, and said he'd better put someone on the line who could get me that channel. I did get another person on the line who (a) told me I could get it ala carte, (b) refused by not answering my many questions about why I had been told I could not, and (c) tried to sell me the sports package anyhow.

Very bad experience. Only problem is, I had worse when I hooked up Dish some years ago.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
According to the Outdoor Channel,  you can add the Channel to any existing program package for $2.99 per month. You will need to specifically request Outdoor Channel "a la carte" for $2.99 a month by calling 1-800-494-4388 and speak to a representative.

jphilb

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
Here is a copy of a letter I am sending to shows and advertisers for Outdoor Channel. 
I encourage everyone to send this around.  I believe that DirectTV is more likely to listen to their big reveune sources than to the individual subscribers interested in Shooting Gallery. 

I am modifying the details in the text to suit the people I am contacting.

I am sure you are aware that the Outdoor Channel has been moved off of the DirectTV main line up and put back in the Sports Package.  This makes it much less available to the intended audience.  I have no desire to pay a monthly fee to get a bunch of basketball and football games.  I am aware that it may be available ala carte for a smaller monthly fee, but how many viewers are likely to go to the great trouble to call into DirectTV to go through half a dozen representative who can't address the issue to finally get the channel added.  Plus, having to go to that much trouble, you don't get people who have not heard of the Outdoor Channel or Shooting Gallery surfing by and finding your wonderful show. 
I am asking if you could contact the Outdoor Channel and DirectTV on behalf of your viewers and lobby them to include the Outdoor Channel on their regular line up. 
DirectTV is much more likely to listen to the show providers and advertisers than to the individual subscribers. 
Thank you for your time and keep up the good work. 

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
I had the same experience last year with Comcast digital cable. I've been without Shooting Gallery since June last year. I wish OC would make episodes available for download...maybe through iTunes. I would gladly pay $0.99 per episode.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:31:58 AM »

a1abob

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
Come on I've been paying $2.00 a month for years to get OC on direct TV, and Shooting Gallery alone is worth the money, not to mention the rest of the Wed. night line up.  As far as I concerned the rest of the weeks line up is Icing on the  Cake.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
If anyone knows how to help us get it on Comcast cable I'd appreciate it. They tell me it's just not available.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
If anyone knows how to help us get it on Comcast cable I'd appreciate it. They tell me it's just not available.

Yeh, it's not available because they won't pony up the money for OC. And, since Direct TV moved it to premium means it must be a pretty penny to acquire the broadcast rights. That, and most cable companies are jag offs to begin with.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
Time Warner Cable did the same thing.  They re-aligned channels and started to charge extra for OC.  I e-mailed them and told them to charge more but don't use re-alignment as an excuse.  Unfortunately I had to cancel ($$$$$). 

Richard

PS:  They never did respond.  I guess I was right.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

poncaguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
I'm very pleased with Dish Network, better than Cox or   Direct  TV, have OC and Versus  channels which carry  outdoor stuff..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk