Author Topic: Connecticut school shooting  (Read 28672 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
Re: Connecticut school shooting
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
There will be a lot of debate and ranting on both sides over this.  A period of mourning needs to take place, and we can all be best served by saying "I feel bad, I pray for all touched", and then we need to just SHUT UP!  In the heat of spinning the event, and we are just as good at it as the other side, we all say stupid stuff, and even the good stuff looks stupid.

Respect the situation, pray for all touched, if you believe in prayer and its power, and wait for the proper time to deal with our issues in the proper way.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
Prayers are sent and my tounge is bit.

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »
M- Completely understand your train of thought and its one of genius and what should be. But you and I both know the opposition to the stance that we all feel strongly for and believe enough in to be on this forum is rallying the troops and probably sinking low enough to contract those touched to speak for their side.

Pray for those is the right thing to do but biting the tongue after and letting those that spew their Venom into everyone's ears without at least putting a bubble into their foundation I feel would be and will be detrimental to the cause. And really with so many of these crap events happening I feel a side will need to be chosen here soon and if not already.

It's already happening here at work and I work for the fed. Employees speaking their thoughts on gun control. I don't argue with anyone like some but I also can't bite my tongue out of respect for the situation. Even though it is 1000000000% the right thing to do. I have to at least give my best and most "educated" thoughts on gun control. I try to even use big words and mans voice to make my thoughts seem more indepth than the other screaming "ban'em all, save the children."
Did we win???

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
K - I know what you are saying, but trust me ... wait for it ... I can say it now and not only mean it, but have the proof and background to show it is true ... I am a trained professional in grief and PTS.  I know what I am doing, and I have done this for many years.  Trust me when I say that what the other side does during the next several days will not cost us.  What they do as a knee jerk emotional response will be easily discredited and undone.  In fact, if we act like rational adults we will gain the credibility to be the still voice of reason as we move forward to put the focus on the true issue.

There is a book, Don't Ask for the Dead Man's Golf Clubs, What to do and say (and what not to) when a friend loses a loved one by Lynn Kelly.  This book is the best resource to start an understanding of how the things we say and do are perceived and misconstrued by people in an emotional state.  It explains the error in playing the Don't let a good tragedy go to waste game that has been employed and will be utilized over the next few days.

Bottom line is to redirect you anger, concern and want to help to the people who need it.  Don't lash out and play politics right now.

I don't take my Faith lightly, and it is not a joke or tool to be used willy nilly.  However, I do strongly believe in Prayer, I believe it works for both the prayed for and the prayer.  I also believe that in the right time it can defuse situation.  What do you do when things start getting out of hand?  Look around the table, circle or whatever, and say "This is serious, there are people hurting here, there are people being put under stress as they deal with this aftermath, and we are multiplying the problem by ranting about it.  We need to change!  Will you pray with me right now for those who are hurting?"  This will not only put everything back in perspective, but it will let people know where you truly stand on the issue - It is not just a hot topic political thing, it is a serious social issue that we need to fix.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Ksail101

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
M- Truly great post.
Did we win???

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:37:47 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
THanks, Mike.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
Bottom line is to redirect you anger, concern and want to help to the people who need it.  Don't lash out and play politics right now.

Totally agree, great post.  I'd like to add one more effective thing we can do...  Make a donation to the NRA-ILA.  I just made my largest donation to date and challenge everyone to do the same.

http://www.nraila.org/about-nra-ila.aspx

"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
We have had constitutional firearm rights for over 200 years.  These type of incidences seem to have come to the fore in the last 10 years or so.  What has changed in that period of time?  Work on fixing that.

The news media make copy-cats more prevalent.

Teachers can be armed with self-defense implements other than lethal weapons without the fear of collateral damage.  Tasers like the T2 that shoots darts & has backup contacts, smoke bombs, teargas grenades, etc.  Keep the outside doors locked, although the recent shootings at the movie theater where the perpetrator jammed the door open makes this a weak defense.

Ksail101

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
M- Your post really has me thinking. Yes knee jerk reaction is to blame guns so my reaction is to defend them cause my vision of the problem is so much more far reaching. But I am going to take what you said and apply it. Social problem is right. This starts in and at the family dinner table. And some faith in higher power also needs to be there.

And if by me saying to the people in the break room "hey man or gal, lets not even talk about the guns that caused this and just think about the people whose lives just got ripped apart." Just maybe that will make them think for two seconds about their loved ones. And maybe evaluate something they haven't thought about in while.

I was listening to the radio on my drive home just now. And it is sad. "Whats the point of guns?" "Why is it soooo easy to get guns." "I hate guns." That is what every call said. Not one said "I am calling to tell your listeners to hangup sitting on hold and spend those wasted minutes to call their son or daughter and tell them what they mean to them"

M- I need your phone number cause with my turned upside down life at times it seems you may be able to make think outside the box. LOL
Did we win???

Respen33

• Packing IT guy
  • Forum Member
  • What round is 30 rounds if you cant hit the paper.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Perhaps a reflection on the situation is required before reaction commences. One side says ban all firearms while another says bring them into school. I know DC schools with metro police on premise and active SRT teams with gun violence/stabbings monthly. So obviously that isn't a solution

The need to commit doesn't change with limitations put on the law abiding. Nor does liberating the masses to openly carry prevent a massacre from being started. I think we all agree a focused manic is as dangerous as a frightened novice with a firearm.

The rules of reason and rational thought, something lost in translation, are what govern how we react to such events. Emotional lashing out only disqualifies the argument and lessens the impact the statement demands.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk