Author Topic: Chuck Schumer Says the NRA Is an Extreme ‘Fringe Group’  (Read 8720 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
Re: Chuck Schumer Says the NRA Is an Extreme ‘Fringe Group’
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 07:59:38 PM »
That is very democratic.   The majority gets to decide which religion gets to celebrate on public property?

That only works for me if any and all get to set up their displays also.  Might be distasteful to some and likely impractical due to space limitations.

Not majority.  We are a nation that follows the Constitution which protects us from the majority vote.  A community can put up what they wish, and they can't stop an opposing group from putting up what they wish, within reason.

Maybe those quoting the polls should brush up on their Constitutional history before infringing on our rights in favor of the 1% majority.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Not majority.  We are a nation that follows the Constitution which protects us from the majority vote.  A community can put up what they wish, and they can't stop an opposing group from putting up what they wish, within reason.

Maybe those quoting the polls should brush up on their Constitutional history before infringing on our rights in favor of the 1% majority.

I'll go along with that.   

But in my limited experience, it doesn't work out well.  In Cincinnati, the 'opposing' display on the downtown fountain area was destroyed each time it was erected.  And I do not approve of the philosophy of the 'opposing' display either, but, by allowing displays, the city has an obligation to protect them equally.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
I'll go along with that.   

But in my limited experience, it doesn't work out well.  In Cincinnati, the 'opposing' display on the downtown fountain area was destroyed each time it was erected.  And I do not approve of the philosophy of the 'opposing' display either, but, by allowing displays, the city has an obligation to protect them equally.

Nit picking like this is part of why the country is so f*cked up .
The Constitution lays out rules the Govt has to follow ,
There is nothing in the Constitution that says I can't kick your azz for being a Muslim, it just say the Govt can't make it a law that Muslims get their azzes kicked.
The destruction of the "opposing' display" is a more or less Constitutionally acceptable expression of public sentiment.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
Nit picking like this is part of why the country is so f*cked up .
The Constitution lays out rules the Govt has to follow ,
There is nothing in the Constitution that says I can't kick your azz for being a Muslim, it just say the Govt can't make it a law that Muslims get their azzes kicked.
The destruction of the "opposing' display" is a more or less Constitutionally acceptable expression of public sentiment.

Yeah..I know..The "opposing display" wasn't religious, but political being that it was a large KKK cross...

And my thoughts maybe a "solution waiting for a problem".  Until there is a rush of requests for other religious displays to share the town square, there is no problem.

The objection can't be that the Christian display offends you, it would have to be that your display was refused.

If it offends you, don't look at it.   But then, if a satanist group set up their display, the same would apply.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Use of "community property" is decided by what the majority of the people paying for it want to do with it .
What you do on your own land is your business as long as it doesn't impact your neighbors.
The worst mistakes the Founders made when writing the Constitution were the assumptions of good character and common sense.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:31:12 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Use of "community property" is decided by what the majority of the people paying for it want to do with it .
What you do on your own land is your business as long as it doesn't impact your neighbors.
The worst mistakes the Founders made when writing the Constitution were the assumptions of good character and common sense.

Ok...so a community that is predominately Muslim does get to tell the other 49% how the town square will be used. 

I don't like it, but to each his own.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
If the other 49% were worth giving a crap about they would have solved that problem .

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »
If the other 49% were worth giving a crap about they would have solved that problem .

Ok, substitute Wicans for the Muslims.  They harm no one, don't have a political agenda, live as honest and productive lives as anyone else, just would fill the square with pagan idols and symbols.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Wiccan's are nature worshiper, their "idols and symbols" trees and earth, are there year round .

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Wiccan's are nature worshiper, their "idols and symbols" trees and earth, are there year round .

You are partially correct Tom.  However, the Twin Cities has the largest Wiccan population in the nation, we hear about it several times a year, and they are much more than "nature worshipers."

They have departed from their historic roots, and it is amazing (scary) to see and hear their response to certain events up here.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk