Author Topic: No FFL 80% Polymer Lowers  (Read 25458 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No FFL 80% Polymer Lowers
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
Peg, here's the consensus. You MIGHT have a loophole if the thing doesn't have a serial number, if it does its a firearm. But once assembled it needs to go through the system. Just order it through an FFL. Its not worth the risk. Seriously, you're looking at 5-10 years if you freak around here. Just do it  right buddy.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
I have a polymer lower on a 9mm AR. No issues at all. I really like it. But I don't thing I would care for it on anything more than a 9.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
The advantage I see to something like this is that it's similar to a Liberator from WWII. You have a firearm no one knows about that can be used in a emergency situation and possibly to get you a better weapon. Ideally, it never has to have a full magazine run through it.

This isn't the lower receiver that you use to build your primary rifle. This is for one of two things. 1. Use it to build the cheapest rifle you can that shoots. It can be used and tossed with little regret if need be. 2. Use it to build a cheap, disposable, lower, or possibly, put quality of you want spare parts or to swap them later. Put the upper that is exactly what you want to your specs on it. Use it to "acquire" a better lower and put the upper on it. You basically have the rifle you want and some spare parts.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
If you choose to purchase through an FFL, an inexpensive truck gun option is available here.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-upper-receiver-w-cosmetic-blemishes

Palmetto State Armory has been running intermittent sales on their blems as well.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

mooner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »
Yes it is legal.  If the lower is not completed to a sufficient degree it is not considered a firearm.  (kind of like a block of steel is not a firearm).  Some of the companies selling these will offer a letter showing the ATF determination verifying it's legality. 

You do not need to serialize them if you do not wish to.  You can sell them  - however you cannot manufacture with the intent to sell without the license required. 

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:48:15 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
If you choose to purchase through an FFL, an inexpensive truck gun option is available here.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-upper-receiver-w-cosmetic-blemishes

Palmetto State Armory has been running intermittent sales on their blems as well.

I wouldn't want a lower with "forging defects", especially since they can't be returned. Any other cosmetic blemishes would be okay.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

Thanks for the link.... these are good prices for uppers and lowers........ good to keep in mind for building a rifle.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
I wouldn't want a lower with "forging defects", especially since they can't be returned. Any other cosmetic blemishes would be okay.

I agree, and have to admit that I missed the forging defects part on the page. I would say it is misleading when the page title says "cosmetic blems". Perhaps the forging defects are in appearances such as surface fluid runs? it has been my experience with the PSA blems that there is almost no discernable difference between them and non-blem. YMMV
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
They have good prices on the non-blems also.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
The tooling need to complete one of these is pretty extensive.  I have a tool collection that make most men get a hard on,  i have a bridgeport and a lathe, but it would still be a could hundred bucks in tooling( or making lots of fixtures/jigs) to complete one of these.   i supose you could do it with a kick ass drill press and a bunch of hand files, but most people can't even square the table on thier drill press let alone locate holes correctly.   its not as easy as you think. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk