Author Topic: No FFL 80% Polymer Lowers  (Read 25443 times)

mooner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No FFL 80% Polymer Lowers
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
If you have a mill, it really only takes a simple fixture that will allow you to hold the lower right-side up in a vice - accounting for the irregularities on the sides of the lower. 

Is it so easy the average Joe can do it in his garage?  Probably not. 
Is it difficult if you have the right equipment and know how?  Not at all. 
Is it going to save you any money?  Nope.  Especially if you account for your time.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
That's the ONE appealing thing about the poly unit.... the machining.
Technically, it can be done with hand tools. (providing that you have mechanical aptitude, and patience)
OPTIMALLY, a mill would be better.

From their website:
Mandatory items you'll need:

Drill press
3/8" or smaller end mill
5/32 drill bit for the hammer/trigger pins
3/8 drill bit for the selector
C-Clamps
Dremel tool with a variety of cutter bits and sanding bits
Files
Sandpaper
Level
Safety glasses
Gloves
and of course some patience.

Optional items that will help:

Drill press table with X & Y axis (available from Harbor Freight Tools)

I have the aptitude, applicable skill, and the ability to do something like this..........

BUT, like I said earlier, I doubt I would buy one of these units ......(unless I just had the spare funds enough just to see, for the mechanical challenge).

I was just mainly: A) Seeing if anyone HAD done it
                               B) Providing information for conversation on a gun-related topic
                                    (it is a firearms-related forum, yes?).  
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
[quote author=PegLeg45 link=topic=23469.msg285601#msg285601 date=138205
                                    (it is a firearms-related forum, yes?).
[/quote]

Some days it is.   
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
A few 1000s of these might be handy if you were equipping the New Revolutionary Army....but then the web site is probably staffed by the FBI, day shift, CIA evening shift and HLS graveyard shift.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:18:07 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
no way i would want to drill that with a hand drill.   they just are not accurate. I supose you could make a jig to keep is square( locating could be done by several means and get close enough)   drill bits don't produce that great of a hole anyways, drill, then ream.( hand is fine)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 02:00:01 AM »
You can also get a weldable lower kit here:

http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

Another interesting sight for building your own stuff.  I think this is Bill Holmes that has written a number of books on home made wepeons.

http://theredneckengineer.blogspot.com/

And another sight:

http://www.weaponsguild.com/
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
I have a poymer lower for my AR.  I've put a few thousand rounds through it and haven't had any issues so far at all. 
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

Respen33

• Packing IT guy
  • Forum Member
  • What round is 30 rounds if you cant hit the paper.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »

no way i would want to drill that with a hand drill.   they just are not accurate. I supose you could make a jig to keep is square( locating could be done by several means and get close enough)   drill bits don't produce that great of a hole anyways, drill, then ream.( hand is fine)

You can invest in a powered drill press for 139.99-199.99 from Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears. I bought a jig for 100 bucks too for my DPMS 308 lower. I'll be getting one for AR-15 soon too. Put in the time and I think it's a worthwhile investment. You can say you built your rifle to the point where you had to mill the lower. :D
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
I crowd-sourced an 80% lower thru Rockethub, and the durn thing is finally shipping. The reason I bought it is to write about building your own lower for the blog, but the time and money needed to complete the thing makes it a dodgy proposition compared to all the cheap complete lowers out there.

And I have a polymer lower, one of the last of the original CavArms builds, and it works great, no issues with it at all.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk