Poll

How often do you shoot in competition?

Never
I have once or twice
1 to 6 times a year
6 to 12 times a year
Weekly or more

Author Topic: Please answer the question how much do you shoot in competition?  (Read 20332 times)

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Please answer the question how much do you shoot in competition?
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
I train as much as I can, but competition is not training ,its a game. When you tailor your way of shooting to beat a timer or win the game you do yourself a disservice and create bad habits. If you like the game you should stick to proven learned responses and techniques and not short yourself. just my 02.

Bah humbug. Competition simultaneously improves your gun handling skills, increases your speed and accuracy, and makes you safer. It gives you a realistic understanding of your gun and your abilities. I can't imagine any training regimen for self defense that wouldn't include those elements. Just because a real life threat may not look like the Steel Challenge, I'm not going to say that shooting Steel Challenge isn't good training.

Consider - why do military and law enforcement agencies have teams, sponsor competitions, and encourage participation in our sports?

For that matter, why do basketball players practice their shots when there is no opposing team? Why do football players run laps? Why do baseball players lift weights? 
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Hot Damn!!!

The big clender on the desk says that one week from tomorrow starts the league time:

One week rimfire bullseye and the next centerfire bullseye;

One week smallbore and the other light rifle.

Four leagues to carry through the winter  ;D

The check has cleared the bank, so the Pro-Am is a go ... as far as I know  ;D

Only bummer is that by the time the family gave the oky dokey the Western States Single Stack was filled  :'(

Need to find something to do in that time frame that will be fun for me, give the wife a break, be warm, and go bang ... a lot of bang would be good  ;)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Trevor

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
I shoot USPSA Production Division once a month.  I shoot IDPA (SSP) twice a month.  I use a Glock 19.  It is stock except for the Heinie sights.  During the summer, I use the same pistol in Man-on-Match falling steel plate matches that run locally in Northern Nevada.  The benefits of competition have already been stated above.  Nonetheless, let me add that anyone who disrespects competition is a person who is afraid to learn, to put it midly.  Open your mind to the benefits of competition and get out there and shoot.  A person can currently get into Production Division or SSP with an expense of about $800.  After that expense, it is only ammo, gas, match fees, and what to have for lunch. 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
Trevor,

You need to put the word "only" in front of the $800 to get into it instead of the expensive ammo, travel, match fees, etc.  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

jimbob_texas

• Gun-totin' redneck
  • Forum Member
  • The Mud Bowl 2008
    • Texican Tattler
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »
USPSA once a week, minimum, sometimes twice.  If there's not a Sunday match for USPSA, I shoot steel matches at Dallas Pistol Club.  It used to be 3 days a week, but our Wednesday night match range got flooded out.  I shoot IDPA very occasionally now.

I count the primer trays of rounds I load annually.  This year, I quit counting after 13,000 rounds.

Competition shooting is where it's at.  You get to fling tons of rounds downrange, sure.  I shoot a lot more rounds practicing.  But the real fun is shooting with your friends and making new ones.

BTW - those who poop on competition as "not training" are full of it.  Speed IS a tactic.  Don't believe it?  Let's do some force-on-force.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sponsor

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »
Now I shoot in a rimfire match once a month. I shoot pistol and rifle. It has really got me even more interested in shooting and now I am looking at other forms of competition. Shooting in competition is way more fun than I could have imagined.

ranger351w

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »
 I practice 20 rnds every day. I am lucky enough to have my own range 30yds from the house.
 Shoot IDPA 5 to 6 times a year and USPSA a couple of times a year.
 I just enjoy it, and you never know when it will come in handy

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
I train as much as I can, but competition is not training ,its a game. When you tailor your way of shooting to beat a timer or win the game you do yourself a disservice and create bad habits. If you like the game you should stick to proven learned responses and techniques and not short yourself. just my 02.

Hate to be the bad guy who crosses Jerry Miculek,Mannie Bragg,Bob Vogel ect,ect. Mixing it up with proven learned responces and competition, a cross training of sort. Would make anyone better. JMO
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Smokey45

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
I shoot in competition a minimum of 4 times a month. Usually 5. While it may not be the best training for learning tactics, it really helps get you up to speed on gun handling skills and shooting under pressure. Those have got to be a plus in a real fight! Anyone who disagrees with that has never done any competition shooting, and darn sure no force on force!!!
s45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk