Author Topic: Down Range Cafe Recipes  (Read 10307 times)

Ron J

Down Range Cafe Recipes
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »
After posting the infamous HazCat Memorial Margarita, I wanted to follow up with a chili recipe. 

RonDog's Downrange Chili

The following recipe rates a MEDIUM/MILD on my usually twisted heat scale.  If you want more heat … add more cayenne pepper and leave some of the jalapeno seeds in.  Half of the fun to this chili is making it.  Enjoy! 

What you need …

•  A skillet to sauté meat.  A large stock pot with a lid. 
•  24 bottles of beer.  I prefer Negra Modelo or Bohemia. 
•  4 pounds of sirloin steak.  You will need to “cube” the steak into small cubes/chunks and take any “seams” out prior to cooking. 
•  3 pounds of 90% lean ground beef
•  28oz – 30oz of tomato sauce (not paste)
•  4 tablespoons of olive oil 
•  4 medium “sweet” onions (like Vidalia or Walla Walla)
•  4 teaspoons of Kosher salt
•  3 teaspoons of cumin.  Also know as “comino” which in seed form you will need to grind w/mortar and pestle.
•  7 cloves of garlic that you will need to smash and/or chop
•  5 tablespoons of chili powder
•  2 heaping teaspoons of paprika
•  5 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
•  5 fresh jalapeno peppers
•  2-3 Anaheim Chili peppers
•  4 heaping teaspoons of oregano
•  3 level teaspoons of cilantro
•  1 teaspoon of black pepper
•  1 teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce
•  5 heaping tablespoons of ground (yellow) corn meal

To start …

1.  Open up one of the beers and drink it. 
2.  Wash and then slice the jalapenos and Anaheim chilis under cold running water.  If you want more heat, leave some of the jalapeno seeds in.  Be sure NOT to touch your eyes after handling the jalapenos.  If you do, drink two more beers. 
3.  Slice and chop the onions and mash up the garlic. 
4.  Cover ½ of the onions and garlic and put them and the peppers you sliced back in your refrigerator. 
5.  Have another beer and dump the tomato sauce in a large pot.
6.  Rinse the tomato sauce cans out with beer and add that beer to the pot.
7.  In a large skillet, sauté the meat in the olive oil and the other half of the onions and garlic. After cooking drain any grease and add the meat to the tomato sauce and beer that is in the large stock pot. 
8.  Add the spices from the ingredient list (but don’t add the corn meal just yet).
9.  Add the remaining onion and garlic as well as the peppers you sliced.
10.  Over a medium flame, heat all the ingredients in the large pot for six minutes stirring occasionally then cover and reduce to a low flame to simmer.  Have another beer. 
11.  Occasionally stir and cover the chili for the next hour and twelve minutes.  At that time, take the corn meal and add enough warm water to make a paste out of it.  Stir this into the chili and cover. 
12.  Let chili simmer for 30 minutes to three hours stirring occasionally.  Longer it simmers, the better it will taste. 

To serve ... Chopped onion and shredded cheese are optional on top.  Crackers or corn meal biscuits go good with this chili … as does the rest of the beer!  Enjoy. 

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Down Range Cafe Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
Ron,

Yours is waaaaay too much work.  Chop onions, garlic, and about 2-3 lbs of ground wild pig in a heavy pot, add salt and course ground black pepper.  (medium to low heat)

Brown meat.

While that is going on chop your peppers.  Use what ya like.  I mix and match tasting the peppers as I go to get the heat I like.

Once meat is browned add a large can of crushed tomatoes (if ya need more wet add a dark beer).  Toss the peppers in, cook for a while, add some sliced mushrooms towards the end.  Eat.

BTW it all goes better if you have NOT finished the first pitcher of Rons' Margaritas.  ;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »
Sounds as if experiance speaks! ;D
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Ron J

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »
Too much work?!?  Naw!  That's half the fun! 

This recipe will DELIGHT people ... in your case Haz, you will get a lot of people purring over you! 

BTW .... Did I tell you that the Margaritas can cure furr balls?!? 

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »
Honest guys (and I bet a lot of ya know this), cookin ain't magic nor is it half as involved as it looks on the TV shows.

I remember back in my dating days I'd invite a girl over for dinner and they would melt when I pulled a nice pot roast out of the oven!  That's a meal that takes about 5 seconds to throw together, it just need to cook for about 2.5 to 3 hours at 325.  No big deal.  Breakfast?  Try a fretata (sp?) easy and good.  Basically an omelet from the oven, use what ya have for add ins (tomato, ham, veggies, etc).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:51:42 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »
Down Range Cafe Recipes

I was expecting find some favorite handloads in here.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:25 AM »

I was expecting find some favorite handloads in here.

I'm single, this could save my life as surely as a good handload  ;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
I quit buying stuff after the case of beer and still  had a good time with the recipe

A quote I once heard:   24 bottles in a case. 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »
Tom,
Here's the pot roast recipe;

Nice roast 3-5 lbs)

Brown in skillet (or if you are gonna use a good pot like a cast iron dutch oven, brown in the pot).

Peel and 'hunk' veggies, (onions, potatoes, carrots (not too many of these or it will be too sweet), turnips if ya like)

Place roast in pot and 'de-glaze' the pan (toss some red wine in the HOT skillet and scrape the bottom to get the brown bits loose).  Pour that over the roast.  (or if browned in pot add about a cup of red wine) (beer also works).

Toss it all in the pot, crush a couple of cloves or garlic, toss 'em in, add salt and pepper.  Stick the lid on it and place it in a 325 oven for 2.5 to three hours.

Done deal.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
Tom,
Here's the pot roast recipe;

Nice roast 3-5 lbs)

Brown in skillet (or if you are gonna use a good pot like a cast iron dutch oven, brown in the pot).

Peel and 'hunk' veggies, (onions, potatoes, carrots (not too many of these or it will be too sweet), turnips if ya like)

Place roast in pot and 'de-glaze' the pan (toss some red wine in the HOT skillet and scrape the bottom to get the brown bits loose).  Pour that over the roast.  (or if browned in pot add about a cup of red wine) (beer also works).

Toss it all in the pot, crush a couple of cloves or garlic, toss 'em in, add salt and pepper.  Stick the lid on it and place it in a 325 oven for 2.5 to three hours.

Done deal.

Dad raised me by himself, for his pot roast he would rub the browned meet will Dill and Black Pepper. He also used to put a few Bay Leaves in his Beef stews.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk