Author Topic: Building The Perfect Range ... Or "Range Me"  (Read 9860 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Building The Perfect Range ... Or "Range Me"
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 01:47:07 AM »
Sorry!  Can't discuss location at this point.  Will say that OK is not in the running (something to do with flying monkeys and tornados!).  Found two states that have favorable markets, sites and regulations to open a premier range facility. 

Since you live (still?) in OKC, you might want to drive over to Tulsa and take a peek at USSA.  You might grab some ideas you can take with you.  Their website has a nice aerial view to look at the layout.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Ron J

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
Since you live (still?) in OKC, you might want to drive over to Tulsa and take a peek at USSA.  You might grab some ideas you can take with you.  Their website has a nice aerial view to look at the layout.

Thanks Rastus!  I will check out their web site!  I am out on the road right now but will be back in OK at the end of August.  Have heard a lot of great things about USSA and would like to see their facility.  I will try to make the trek from Edmond to Tulsa. 

Having lived in CA, MT, TX, MI, WI, AZ (twice), SD, IL and OK; I have seen some good ranges and some great shooting facilities.  My intent is to design the perfect range.  Something that when you walk in, you say "wow" and beg your wife to let you stay for another hour. 

I have a list of "critical success drivers" that will need to be put in play.  Many consider the "no-brainer" variety such as customer base, safe, friendly and affordable.  Facility will be marketed as the destintion for the shooter and archer.  Need to guard against "trying to be everything to everybody" but the idea of having other income generating businesses on site (restaurant w/live music, cigar bar) would help the ROI equation. 

1776 Rebel

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
I don't intend to open a range but have always been interested in the technology. Check out the NRA source book first.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

They also have a range conference coming up next month in Las Vega NV that you should absolutely attend if this is a real interest.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/development.asp

You will be exposed to all the remediation and legal stuff that has become more important in some respects than the shooting end.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
If space permits I would seriously consider 200 yard range.  Where I live hard to find anything over a 100 yards.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »
  My intent is to design the perfect range.  Something that when you walk in, you say "wow" and beg your wife to let you stay for another hour. 

Or better yet.. make it so nice that the wife learns to like shooting and then begs to go with you and SHE wants to stay the extra hour.  ;)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:54:32 AM »

Ron J

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
Or better yet.. make it so nice that the wife learns to like shooting and then begs to go with you and SHE wants to stay the extra hour.  ;)

Great point.

Marshall is a lucky man. 

Mojave Desert

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
.22 shooting gallery would be a great idea.

How about a high power rife range 100, 200, 300 yards or meters....maybe 500...1000 in a military style range.

Rich people like trap/skeet and would love a ranges with lights for extended shooting.

How about an indoor shoot house for training classes?

Good luck with your project, would love to visit once it's done!

Ron J

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »
.22 shooting gallery would be a great idea.

How about a high power rife range 100, 200, 300 yards or meters....maybe 500...1000 in a military style range.

Rich people like trap/skeet and would love a ranges with lights for extended shooting.

How about an indoor shoot house for training classes?

Good luck with your project, would love to visit once it's done!

Great ideas ... depending on the location, I want to have the space for long range (1000m) shooting but may need to scale back given cost/availability of land.  As well, given the amount of bird hunters, shotgun sports (with lights) is also a great idea.  I like the idea of a "shoot house" that can be constructed to represent an actual house too.  Would need to find some qualified instructors (like Bruce Gray) to come in and offer classes several times per year. 

WymoreWrangler

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
I'd recommend a class room facility in the complex, it could be used for NRA Basic Safety Courses and CCW classes and the qualifications on your range.  Classes bring folks to the facility, once they see what they want, they will buy accordingly...

1776 Rebel

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »
RonJ check out this organization...I saw it in the weekly NSSF email.

http://www.rangeinfo.org/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk