Author Topic: Where's all the Powder, that's what I want to know. Where's the powder.  (Read 9398 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Where's all the Powder, that's what I want to know. Where's the powder.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »

The 300MP may give a lot of spitzen and sparken, but did group well.  Ain't no JM, but I'm pleased.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
The 300MP may give a lot of spitzen and sparken, but did group well.  Ain't no JM, but I'm pleased.

Don't think anyone can be JM. 

I watch him shoot and wonder how in the hell HE can be JM.   ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
Breaking News from Gun Bot.

NOT

Sportsman's Warehouse has 50BMG in stock.   DUH!
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »
Making my list of powders I will buy.   I mean, I want Power Pistol, but I'll take anything that suitable for 9mm and .38spl.  So I was making a list.

You know, Unique, Blue Dot, TightGroup, etc.  I'm trying to limit it to those powders I can also use in .357Mag, .45ACP and .44 Mag.  So I'm looking in my reloading manuals and I went on-line to check some sources including Alliant's database.

So when did BE86 come out?   (Rhetorical ?  don't answer that.  I've quickly caught up to speed from the other forums.)   That was about all Alliant had in their database.  Which is cool.  For those who don't know it's a reformulated cousin of Unique.  Not that there's any of if around, but still another choice.    But maybe, Cabela's has some for the grand opening.  And maybe I'm not the absolutely last, desperate reloader who's heard about it.

The real question is anyone actually used it?

(first person only, please.  Don't point me to other forums.  I'm already reading those.)

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Blue Dot Available
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:15 AM »
So this morning, Sportman's Warehouse has Blue Dot available.  An okay pistol powder.

That's good news.  Alliant is slowly getting powder out there.

Bad news is SM will only let you order 2#s.   So at $20/lb + $28 hazmat fee + shipping, it works out to almost $40/lb.   I'll pass.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:58 PM »
Found a supplier who has powder.  Not a lot, not every type, but a good variety.

The pricing, however is rather steep.  I'm not complaining.  That's the stores prerogative.  The higher prices keep people from buying it who don't really need it right now.  But it is a little steep for me.   But at least someone has some if you really, really, really, need it.

e.g., CFE Pistol is $36/lb.  They have 17 in stock.   With Hazmat though 4 pounds would end up costing almost $45/lb.

https://reloadingunlimited.com/

After tomorrow I may rethink this though.  If I don't score some soon, I may be willing to buy an 8lb container at their price. 

Got to remember that for pistols, powder only contributes about 10% to 15% of the cost.  So doubling the price of powder only raises the cost per round a couple of pennies.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk