Author Topic: Is more expensive better or just more expensive  (Read 11034 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Is more expensive better or just more expensive
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »

I'm one of those guys who takes the time to read reviews on items,

Real men not only don't need reviews, they don't even need the instructions on the first couple tries !
Of course by then the trash has been picked up and you have to come on here and casually ask how it goes together.  ;D

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
Real men not only don't need reviews, they don't even need the instructions on the first couple tries !
Of course by then the trash has been picked up and you have to come on here and casually ask how it goes together.  ;D

Hence why we have so many boards.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »

Well at least I didn't read the instructions with the brake.......
 (it didn't come with any)
 ;D

But once I figgered out which end had threads I'uz in bidness.   ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, MB got to rant on the podcast yesterday, now it's my turn. I understand the nicety of a compensator, or muzzle brake, but MY GOD MAN! When you have to shoot next to a guy who has one on his rifle for 3 days straight!!!! Even with plugs and muffs my ears got pounded! so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be considerate. If you are going to a class, spare the guy next to you, and take off the damn comp!!!!

+1

I was shooting an A-Bolt in .308 under a covered range once and the concussion caused by the BOSS brake actually rattled the 8' fluorescent bulbs out of one of the overhead light fixtures.

The brake for my AR makes the 5.56 sound like a .308.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »
I was shooting an A-Bolt in .308 under a covered range once and the concussion caused by the BOSS brake actually rattled the 8' fluorescent bulbs out of one of the overhead light fixtures. The brake for my AR makes the 5.56 sound like a .308.

You should be there when this goes off!  :o

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
Yeah... it is quite the ruckus, indeed.
I was over at my friend's range one day and a guy had a Barrett Mod 99 single shot. We touched off a few rounds and it made quite a fuss.

It's a toss-up on my fun-meter between shooting the Barrett and shooting an MP-5 full auto. One is brute strength and the other is full speed ahead..... I guess the Ma Deuce would be the best of both worlds.   :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:44:41 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
Yes, it is.  ;D

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
As the OP on this thread I thought that some might like to hear the out come of my build.

I completed my Lower build with very little issue.  The only problem I had was that the hammer was not turning freely.  I deburred the pin hole that improve the situation only slightly.  I ended up having to sand the hammer pin and the slots the spring ride in.  The lower parts kit was sold to me as a rock river, but there was nothing in it identifying it as a rock river product.

I did fall for the BHO panic and paid more than I should have getting a completed Bushmaster upper with Carry handle and A2 style front sight.   It included a no frills round hand guard and no rail attachment points.

As far as upgrades go that I was asking about.  I went with no name low end versions.  I found an AMBI safety, single point sling mount, and charging handle latch.  All of them were less than $60USD extra.  I am glad I did all three upgrades. 

I am sticking with the rear sight in the charging handle.  The main reason for that is that the flip up sights or aftermarket rear sights do not look as strong and sticking up that high I am afraid that the rear sight will take a bunch of abuse.  I will get a flip up rear sight when and if I decide to go optics.

The Ambi-safety allows me to safety off with the thumb and then go safety on with the trigger finger with less breaking of my shooting grip than I do with just using the thumb.  That could be overcome by training, but now I can safety on and off the same way with either hand.

The extended changing handle release, without an optic, is not a required change but it does make charging the rifle easier with the blade of the left hand.  You do not need to come over the top.  I do not have a lot of rounds down range and want to take a carbine class this year to confirm, but I believe that it will require less movement form firing position to activate in a failure drill.  Less movement will equate to faster clearing and back on target.

Still to come:
I am considering a white light.  That is going to mean a rail attachment pint some place.  I have not completely made up my mind but I am thinking about a rail that mounts to the A frame of the front sight.  Practicing with that will force my off hand up forward, where I think I want it, and should be accessible from either a Left index finger or a right thumb.  The other option would be to replace the hand guard with something like a Magpol where I can attaché a short rail at the 2 o'clock position.  I do not want a quad rail for what I do I do not see a reason for it.  No coffee makers or fish bubblers here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk