Author Topic: Tactical Build  (Read 12866 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Tactical Build
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
uh oh.  parts are starting to gather.  i predicte an  AR-nado.  Oh hell yes.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Tactical Build
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »
More parts showed up.   It's a storm brewing, I tell ya.

Along that line, Friday was .223 day at the range.  I took both rifles and both pistols.  The shorty, in-home, just didn't work out on the 100yd range, so I'll sight it in another day.

The AR National Match did pretty good.   Considering my eye-sight, here's the best of the 100yd targets.  Using some 62gr American ammo.   The groups with the 55gr weren't that much wider.  I will try and find some 68+ ammo to try as well.

My Varmint AR with 4-12x scope was next and there were a couple of flyers.   I'd blame the wind if there were any to speak of.  I shot several 5 shot groups and they were all about 2" without any wide flyers like this.   Will also try heavier bullets next trip.

Finally I took the bug out pistol and shot it off the bench.  It has Magpul BUIS sights.  After making sure I was close at 25 yds this is what I shot at 100.

All in all a very good morning at the range.  Hopefully the tactical rifle will be built by the next .223 day.    I've got to concentrate on my Glock for the upcoming GSSF Nationals, so it'll be October before I get back to rifles again.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Tactical Build -- the barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »
No I haven't abandoned my tactical AR build.  Just been busy with other projects and hadn't found the right deal on the right barrel.

TA-DAH-h-h-h.

Anderson 16"  1:8 barrel.  $110. 

BUT do you notice anything missing?  Besides the gas key and the FA and dust cover.  I'm taking this out first to play with it as a single shot.

This is the first build I've done that uses the traditional castle nut.  All my other fore ends came with a "flat" or smooth nut that didn't require alignment of the gas tube.  So what I'm missing are barrel shims.  Not a problem as my newest, bestest local AR parts supplier has them I'm sure.  http://www.fourtharmory.com/  There primary business is used car exports, but they're all shooters and so as part of their storefront they've become an AR parts dealer.  You can buy parts kits or just individual parts down to the gas block tube pin.

Anyway getting the shim isn't a problem as they're only about 5 miles either way.  The problem is where to install it.  I've looked at several on-line instructions sheets and videos.  Some say between barrel and receiver, and some say directly under the nut itself.  Advantage of the later is I don't have to cut the shim to get it on (naked barrel).    It does mean that the shim will be directly torqued, but it will also be up so tight against the barrel flange it should do any harm.  Putting it in front of the flange means a) cutting it to get it over the alignment pin, and b) it means moving the chamber forward ever so slightly.  Though 0.001-0.002mils isn't going to matter much the way the AR headspaces.

Opinions?     I'm about of the opinion that it doesn't matter.
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
I've worked on or inspected a couple thousand M16s and own 2 AR15s and to the best of my recall have never seen a barrel shim. What does it look like and what's it's purpose?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
If you keep the barrel nut within 30ftlb-50ftlb of torque, the castle nut may not be aligned to allow the gas tube to pass.  By using a shim or two of 0.001" you can get the nut properly aligned with in the torque specs.    Some people, from what I have read, just torque the nut on up to 90ftlbs to get it to align.

Other techniques?

And before you ask, yes I've put a light grease coating on the barrel/upper area and on the threads.  Yes, I've tighten and loosened the nut several times.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:23:37 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
And before you ask, yes I've put a light grease coating on the barrel/upper area and on the threads. 

What kind of grease did you use?  I've seen two varieties referenced, WC-33 (IIRC) & something I can't remember.  I hope to have my new barrel soon, wife permitting  ::)
He who dares wins.  SAS

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks Alf. That's what it sounded like but I never heard of it before.

Molybdenum di-sulfide grease is what I used. Torqued down 3 times and the last time tightened up 30-80 Ft-Lbs IIRC until it lines up right. I could look in my TM to be sure but I'm lazy. I have an alignment gauge that fits in the bolt carrier key that makes sure the notch is lined up. It works better than just sliding the gas tube through the hole.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
What kind of grease did you use?

This is a non-critical, non-wear application, whose main purposes are to aid in assembly and to retard galvanic corrosion between the aluminum frame and the steel barrel & nut.   There are mil-specs for this grease, but heck there are also mil-specs for toilet paper. 

I used Lucas Oil X-Tra heavy duty green grease.  It's property includes good coverage and "maintains a constant film of protection even under irregular maintenance."

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
I just checked my manual and it says to tighten the barrel nut down to 31-35 foot pounds 3 times and DON'T use the torque wrench to loosen it. I didn't see a maximum torque listed, just until it lines up right. I thought it was a maximum or 80 or possibly 90. I was able to find mil-spec moly grease at a place that sells ball bearings. After I was done changing barrels I started using it to grease the ball on my trailer hitch so it's not going to waste.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »
One other method suggested on other forum, if you just need 1mil is to take a fine file to the face of the upper.

1mil shims are on order from VeriForce Tactical.  (0.07mm actually)

And I also noted a neat shim kit for muzzle attachments that come in various widths.  Rather than use a crush washer you put utilize the appropriate width washer.  Ordered a package of those too.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk