Author Topic: Tactical Build  (Read 12868 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Tactical Build
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
I use a jam nut for the compensator on one AR and a peel washer for the A2 style flash hider on the other. I've seen crush washers advertised but never used one. I've reused peel washers but don't know if you can reuse a crush washer. Shims sound like a reasonable alternative if you don't like peel washers.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:17 PM »
I use a jam nut for the compensator on one AR and a peel washer for the A2 style flash hider on the other. I've seen crush washers advertised but never used one. I've reused peel washers but don't know if you can reuse a crush washer. Shims sound like a reasonable alternative if you don't like peel washers.

I've used them all but peel washers over the years for various projects.

My preferred method is a machined jam nut....then shims...... I hate crush washers, but will use them sometimes.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:43:45 AM »
So the shims came yesterday and now the barrel, gas block/tube, fore end, muzzle brake are all in place.

It's not ALL complete, as I haven't put in a FA or the dust cover.  Not 100% I'll add those.  And remember the different thickness shims for muzzle brakes?   Well turns out they're 0.75" in OD.  Oops, that's about what manufacturers make their recess size.  So the washer just barely don't fit.   I'll file them down, but had they bothered to look most crush washers are 0.74" for that very reason.  For right now a standard crush washer in on the muzzle.

The lower an upper are matching manufacturer.   I haven't built the lower out, no rush as I can borrow the one from another.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
I couldn't stand it, plus I had my monthly retirement check in my pocket.  I went ahead and built out the SDI lower to match the upper.   

I KNOW THIS IS JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE's 16" AR, but this one is MINE.

The Skyjacker Defense, SDI, is a local company who made the upper and lower.   Don't know if they're going to make it, but I am a sucker for local companies.  AAC, think 300Black Out and supressors, is another one.  So is C3.   Anyway, when I bought the upper/lower set I was told it was with very tight tolerances.  And I must say the lower is tight.   I used CMMG parts kits.   And no, I left off the dust cover on purpose.   I've given up on my single shot experiments. 

Next ".223" day at the range, this baby is going out.   Only change will be a cantilever mount for the sight.  I don't like bridging the upper rail to the fore end rail.  And definitely think the scope hanging by one mount looks weak if not funny.

Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:09:27 PM »
Yeah, that scope needs a new mount but the rest of it looks good. I like the long hand guard.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:47:29 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »
Took her out last Friday for a spin.  Just wanting to check functioning and adjust the Millet red dot.

GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS.

Not a lot of good news.   SOMEBODY, who will remain nameless, forgot to tighten down the gas block.  I actually got my chance to shoot an AR single shot mode.  DUH! 

The Millet scope has been around for a while, loaned out to other shooters and used on a variety of guns.  It was so far off that at 50yds it wasn't even close to hitting the paper and I mean a 3' x 12' piece of paper!   By the time I got that Millet scope cranked around I was tired of manually recharging the rounds.  GOT to get a better scope.   Going for one Michael recommended for tactical shooting.

IN OTHER NEWS (cause I know you hang on every word I type ;) )

I also took my 10/22 target out for the first time in 4 years.  Still putting them in tiny groups at 50 yds, but its scope was off about 6" right and a foot down.  Cheap Simons.  I spun the elevation knob round a whole turn before I finally got some noticeable movement.    GOT to get another scope for it.

But then, I had a good time on the bullseye range with my old Ruger MkI.  It can still, with a little encouragement from me, put them in the 10 ring at 25yds easy.    And I ran 250 rounds through my nifty little new SW 929.  So the day wasn't entirely a bust.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:14 AM »
Any day at the range is a good day !
Happy scope shopping :-)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 07:14:53 AM »
Which scopes and red dots are you looking at? I'm partial to Trijicon's MRO and the new Vortex 1-6 that retails around $400.
He who dares wins.  SAS

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »
Some thread back, Michael Bane posted here, or it may have been a blog, a trio of "value" priced scopes suitable for tactical shooting.   I think they were, the Lucid HD7 if you want a red dot, a Burris MTAC 1-4x and the Bushnell 1-4x BTR.   (I could be wrong about the Burris.)

I'm torn.   I'm favoring Nikon's M223 1.5-6x  at the moment, but the Bushnell looks good. 

Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
not really tactical, but just finished my 9mm AR that was my Christmas present to myself...New Frontier Armory complete billet lower and their Glock modular bolt... the rest came from MAS Defense... Aero Precision upper, barrel, charging handle, and YHM fore end... for a monthly run and gun mini match

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk