Author Topic: .45/70 Government  (Read 10731 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
.45/70 Government
« on: February 12, 2016, 05:51:42 AM »
Started playing a new game this winter - Cowboy long range.  I picked up a .45/70 lever action for the rifle cartridge, but I am having difficulty finding reload data.  I have a couple recipes from others, but would like a few more to try out.  Anybody done any reloading of .45/70 Government for rifle with lead bullets?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: .45/70 Government
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:57:11 AM »
What did you get for a rifle ? Winchester mod 1895?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
I heard that 70 grains of black powder works OK in the 45-70.........  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously though, I know a couple of guys who travel to shoot in BPCR matches and load with black powder. They say it is loads of fun. (was that a pun?)
I've done it in my .44 Rugers, but not in rifles.

Old school is still cool.

http://longrangebpcr.com/

http://bpcr.net/
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
First thing, if you are reloading, is to get/buy/borrow a current reloading manual, preferably published by the manufacturer of the bullets you are using.
There is a lot of data out there.  I have several CURRENT reloading manuals.  Be careful of any of the manuals that are over 10 years old, as those loads tend to be pretty hot.
Wolfe publishing has a web site www.loaddata.com which is very good. You have to pay an annual fee to use this service. They also publish the Rifle and the Handloader magazine.
Second, realize that a lever rifle does NOT have the strength of a Ruger #1.
Third, get a sissy pad or a limbsaver recoil pad, because you will need it with a lever rifle.
The drop at heel of lever rifles can make you very aware of recoil.
I would suggest 300-350 grain bullets as a starting point, and then you can go up to 400 grain bullets.
I have used all of the weight bullets, and of course as the weight goes up, so does the recoil.
The 45 caliber can be a lot of fun, and can be very accurate.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Can't get 70 grains of BP in a modern case,it will hold about 65 grains,I used to use a 405 grain lead bullet with a .45 cal wonder wad and a card cut from a milk carton over 65 grains of FFFg BP,It shot real well in my Marlin 1895CB.I even won the NY state SASS Long range rifle side match with it one year.Make sure there isn't any wax lube on the bullet,If you use a BP lube on it then you don't need the wonder wad.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:06:36 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
Fairly new Pederosli 1886/71.  Going to shoot smokeless with lead (rules).

I have several reloading and powder manuals, and lead is not the bullet covered in the ones I have.  Hornady doesn't even use rifle specs.  They use Thomson Center handgun.

Heading out for a load and delivery.  Will get back to this Saturday evening.

Thanks!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
Keep the greasy side down.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
I  some pig loads, but tgey are guide gun only as they are hot.   Kicks like a,mule.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:12:51 PM »
Keep the greasy side down.

The magic numbers are
12,000 - steer axle
34,000 - drive axles
34,000 - trailer axles
80,000 - gross

Five tries to get this balanced

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »

;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk