Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21165 times)

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1422
Related hobbies?
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
I have noticed that most of my shooting friends and I have a lot more in common than just firearms. My question is do you think there are other hobbies/interests that tend to overlap with firearms usage? (Other than the most obvious, hunting)

I can think of a few. Ham radio, Computer, Prepping/self-reliance. Any others?
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »
Most likely any "demanding" outdoor activity.  By demanding I hope to make a distinction between RV camping, say, and wilderness camping...the key being amount of "independence" required by the demanding type.

Computers might be totally coincidental...Many of the shooters you meet are online...and almost everyone will have some access to computers anyway...

I would guess that independence and self-reliance are the key common factors.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
Fishing, hunting...  I've worked with uniblabs for forty years so I HATE those... 

The Constitution.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
Guitars and motorcycles seem to be pretty common.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
All of my close friends own guns and ride ATVs for fun.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:42:06 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
Hobby if I had time...yeah, Ham radio, gardening is a wish along with hunting and fishing.

My boat will be 3 years in the garage this June.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 06:24:29 AM »
Don't feel to bad Rastus, I know retired guys who live with in a mile of the largest lake in the North East who are saying the same thing.
Then there's the people who bought snow mobiles.
They are priced like Harley's and the heaviest snow we've had this year MIGHT have been 2 inches.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »
I try not to because I am fortunate to have a job.  240 hours of vacation time at the end of December and I lost 160 hours of it on Jan 1.  I can take the time if I want to....because I can do anything I want on my last day.   ???
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:41 AM »
I don't know how related some of these are.  Outside of things like hunting, reloading and gunsmithing.

Ham radio, W4ADS, extra class. (I passed Extra, just to get into the vanity call sign pool early.  Not very noble reason I suppose.)   Not active much even on VHF.  Have 25' tower, but no HF antenna.  Really want a StepIR, but can't afford it. 

Electronics in general.  Building kits and circuits.   Yes, I use to own Heathkits.

Programming computers.  Old school stuff.   Assembler, machine code, drivers and things like COBOL, FORTRAN, SQL and CICS.  Heck I even knew RPG and PASCAL at one time.  Does SNA ring a bell with anyone?   I still enjoy collecting the odd data base and performing analysis on it, just for fun.  Want to know how many different first names there are among US ham radio licenses?

Theater/theatre, performing arts, is in my family blood line.  I'm more of a stage manager type, but also do lighting.  I'll probably do volunteer work for local high schools when I retire. 

Sailing and just spending time on the water in general.  Scuba diving which I haven't done in 40+ years.  Loyd Bridges and I could have been best buddies.   (My scuba instructor was murdered shortly after I completed my certification.  His wife cold conked him with a pipe wrench then cut him up in pieces and stuff him in a 55 gal drum. Nobody particularly faulted her for it.)

Fishing.  Nothing fancy.  Put bait on hook, toss in water, drink beer.

Airplanes.  Was in the USAF.  Went through ground school, but never got the flight time.   Worked on C-124s, C-141s and C5s.   Sadly, all my bases and missions were classified to some degree, so the only picture of me is with a B-52, which oddly wasn't classified.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 09:05:34 AM »
System Network Architecture.  PL1, DL1.   

Pascal was my favorite language, for the beauty of the code written in it, rather than it's productivity...rare exits to C and you could do anything...and still be beautiful   :D :D

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk