Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21002 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Boats....dang.  My bass boat has been in the garage 3 years...only out once in 5 years.  I thought I might be retiring but....not quite yet.  Maybe I'll get it out this winter and try to spoon up some deep water bass.

May not be open water and super fast....but 75 MPH is going more than fast enough on the water for me.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
among the old timers that have stayed in the shooting sports in my circle... a background in high performance engines... drag or sports car racing, motorcycle flat track or drag, and in later years cruising, or go fast boats

That was my game for a time.....then I got married.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 10:47:05 PM »
Boats....dang.  My bass boat has been in the garage 3 years...only out once in 5 years.  I thought I might be retiring but....not quite yet.  Maybe I'll get it out this winter and try to spoon up some deep water bass.

May not be open water and super fast....but 75 MPH is going more than fast enough on the water for me.

That's twice as fast as I've ever gone in a boat. I hope you get it out ASAP and blow out the cobwebs. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
Pegleg... I too was into drag racing

Rastus... I was down in the Keys (Ramrod Key) a couple of years ago and as we approached the fuel dock, a go fast was fueling ahead of us... not one, not two, not three, but four 300hp Mercs .... the owner retired a whole lot better than I

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »
1200 seahorses rippin' and snortin'...I like it.

When I grew up the hot motor was a Wizard Super 10 from Western Auto.  They could be jacked up to maybe 20 HP.  Everyone hopped those things up and put them on little homemade wooden speed boats.  I don't know how fast they were....but they seemed like they ran pretty fast at the races.  I doubt it was more than 45 MPH.

I saw my first fast jet boat around 1969...that was a big deal around town.  Then sometime around 1976 Mercury came out with the 175 HP Black Max.  Big deal...a friend of mine bought the first one in the area....and after 15-20 minutes spent the next 6 weeks waiting on warranty parts to fix it.  But that Black Max was a big deal back when....I dunno how fast it went but Doug was pulling his girlfriend behind the boat and she was waving to slow down...everyone on the boat thought to speed up and she didn't drop the rope.....after she came to she didn't ski anymore that summer.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:59:44 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
Rastus... I believe the Wizard was made by Mercury... my cousin built a kit boat advertised in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science... we also had a white painted Wizard with a little dremel work poliishing around the reed plate

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 12:48:12 AM »
Now that made me look I had forgotten that it was made by Mercury and was a Western Auto branded item.  So around 1955 the Super 10 was advertised for $329.50 as low as $4.25 a month but without the Powermatic (roller bearings?) it ran for $279.50. 

That was highly priced even if only goobers paid full price without dickering.  I think I paid $600 for a 1980 Johnson 35HP short shaft....as comparison.

Old age is oozing out everywhere around here these days.  I just picked up a used Kubota L3940 tractor to clean up some land so I can lay out an RV park for a retirement income.  I miss the days when the Wizard Super 10 was a big deal and eating too much was not an issue.  But then....I guess I'm just doting.   

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
Rastus... I had a similar problem relating to prices and ensuing inflation when I taught... when asked, I would tell my students that my education at UF was about $7000 for four years... of course that was the price or better of a Corvette in 1965..  four years at the Univ of Florida is still about the price of a new Corvette  :)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
a couple of years before 1965, the price of a Corvette was $4000, and I remember thinking that if I managed to get a job paying $1000/mo, I could afford that Corvette and still be able to live nice.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »
So Les the annual price of a higher education was approximately 1/4 the price of a Corvette fro that standpoint and Solus you said the price of a Corvette was 4 month of pay.

A base model Corvette is $55-$65k.  So...Solus you are saying you were earning the equivalent today of $15k a month and Les you relate that a higher education is around $60k.

Assuming a state institution, I came up with about $12k a year depending on where you go.  That says the Vette may have accelerated a bit on the curve.  I think the Vette is a nicer car than it used to be so what you guys say is relatively the same deal today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk