Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21016 times)

Timothy

Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 02:45:33 PM »
I saw a Ham radio once or twice!

It was on the bench at my best buddies house above his dad’s stacks of girly mags and x rated novels!  I didn’t learn much about it….

😂

tombogan03884

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
I saw a Ham radio once or twice!

😂

Nope.
But I do get acquainted with a ham sandwich on occasion.   ;D
3 reasons to not be Jewish,
#3 Ham
#2 Porkchops
#1 Bacon, duh.    ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
Radials:
DX Engineering recommends 32-60 radials, length doesn't matter if they're imbedded in the ground.  But that's for a ground level mount.
They recommend you do the same if mounted more than 3' above ground, but that they be angled downward at 45° and they be cut for 1/4 wave length, a portion for each band.

At the same time they admit it's "may" not be necessary.  My experience, limited as it is, was with my pickup truck and a Hustler mobile antenna.  No radials there and it worked great.  Could have been the whole truck was just the right lenght to form a ground plane.   I like to think of my vertical as just a dipole only up-and-down.  So if I drop 4 wires, each 1/4wl for each band then that should work....  right.  My plan is to put it up naked and see how it works.  If I'm not happy, I can add a few "tuned" radials draped on the roof.

Tower:
Here's pictures of the side mount where you can see the DX Engineering Genius clamps, which are quite a substantial and do a great job of creating a rigid side bar.   Then I use pairs of stainless saddle clamps to mount  the side bar on the tower.

And before I remove the top section here's the tower in all her glory with a puny Ham Stick on top and three little radials hanging down.

44 states now, finally got Nevada.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2021, 02:02:49 PM »
Looks like a radio intercept post .
You aren't subcontracting for the Russians are you ?    ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »
4 radials ought to do it....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #85 on: Today at 11:48:10 PM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Looks like a radio intercept post .
You aren't subcontracting for the Russians are you ?    ;D

He just might be. After all, Alf is an alien!
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
He just might be. After all, Alf is an alien!

That's true, and America has been sold to the communists, so there are no loyalty issues involved.   ;D
What's he care, it's not even his planet.   ;D   ;D

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2021, 09:28:18 AM »
Alf... I got spoiled at Clark AFB in 72-73... I had the best Morse operators and Chinese and Vietnamese linguists working with me... gratuitous and previously posted pic of the AN/FLR-9 antenna that was tasked primarily to my targets... scroll down... there are no more of these Cold War (and Viet Nam) relics in the world... pity, some day a HF communication system may be needed... Les USAFSS 202

https://sites.google.com/site/cobradensite/

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2021, 11:08:51 AM »
Wow, Les.   I'd seen pictures of such installations.   Of course there are still some very large log-periodics around.  Some have been abandoned by the military and taken over by radio clubs.  You drive out to them and hook up your mobile HF.   Of course in my book, log-periodic is another phrase for works equally poorly on all frequencies.

We may have passed by each other at Clark.  I was in and out 71-73 on C5's and C-141's.  They put us up in Clarkview and at least we got single rooms.  Traveling with an entourage of officers has its advantages for us enlisted types.  I developed an eating pattern with all my travel.  Pretty much stuck to one entrée in each country.  In the  Philippines is was red-rice and beans.   Didn't try eating any of the humongous bugs they used to catch/harvest out on the  tarmac, though. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
Alf... I got spoiled at Clark AFB in 72-73... I had the best Morse operators and Chinese and Vietnamese linguists working with me... gratuitous and previously posted pic of the AN/FLR-9 antenna that was tasked primarily to my targets... scroll down... there are no more of these Cold War (and Viet Nam) relics in the world... pity, some day a HF communication system may be needed... Les USAFSS 202

https://sites.google.com/site/cobradensite/

Could say the same for a map and compass.    ;D

This is no sh#t, The other day I overheard a lady explaining a CLOCK to her teenage daughter .    ::)

That's a hell of an antenna .
Bet I could even get channel 4 on that baby.
BBC 4   ;D

I guess they are doing all that stuff digitally with computers and satellites, as with GPS.
Might come in handy some day to know the old ways.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk