Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21017 times)

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
When I started this thread I was thinking of Ham Radio because a LOT of shooters I know are also into Ham Radio. I think ALf has it right. A lot of people are becoming preppers or trying to increase their existing resources.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2021, 06:45:26 PM »
When I started this thread I was thinking of Ham Radio because a LOT of shooters I know are also into Ham Radio. I think ALf has it right. A lot of people are becoming preppers or trying to increase their existing resources.

Talk about "Retro".
Most of us still have the gear we bought under Reagan. 
My "nostalgic" cartridge belt, and E tool"    ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
<snip>

Meanwhile the ham stick is good for 4-7 QSOs a day.  Have never heard Alaska or Hawaii, but might help if I tried some other time than mid day on 20m.   Have worked 4 stations, one twice, in NM and not one has confirmed.  grrr.

You're going to be amazed how much better the 5BTV is over the hamstick.  I'm surprised you don't have a 20M dipole up?  I've made contacts with Hawaii (20M) and down to Oz on a simple dipole when conditions were OK.

Confirmations...yeah, that can be an issue.  Sometimes you get a couple of them trickling in a year and a half later.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »
You're going to be amazed how much better the 5BTV is over the hamstick.  I'm surprised you don't have a 20M dipole up?  I've made contacts with Hawaii (20M) and down to Oz on a simple dipole when conditions were OK.

Confirmations...yeah, that can be an issue.  Sometimes you get a couple of them trickling in a year and a half later.

Have toyed with make a rigid dipole, but just haven't gotten around to it.   

One of the NM stations finally uploaded his LoTW data a month after our QSO!  Come on people.  This is a digital, computer based communications, that automatically creates the necessary log file.  It only take 10 seconds to do a manual upload.  OR, BRILLIANT IDEA, with just a little setup, Grid Tracker software will upload every contact for you in real time.  Duh.     So I do now have all 48 contiguous states confirmed.  I guess my retirement goals will be DXCC, 5band WAS, and Triple Play awards.

Ham stick is down as of this morning and the base mount for the 5BVT is on the tower awaiting #2 son to assist in mounting the antenna.  So I'm stuck on 6m right now which is dead as a doornail. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »
I leaned the Hustler against the house, next to the tower, climbed up and lifted the Hustler into place.  Easy peasy Saturday morning.  Miss Kitty isn't please I did it by myself and alone, but it was a one man job and it's not that heavy, just have to keep it balanced.  I also have the 1:1 DXEngineering Balum which is evident in the pictures.   Saturday was outdoor USPSA at River Bend, so I only had a few minutes to operate.  Made to 20m contacts with about equal signal reports.  Trying it today on 40m.  Maybe I'll do a 10m local net this pm.

Here's pictures of it from this morning.  Am also listening in on the Hurricane nets as well, in keeping with the disaster prep aspect.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #115 on: Today at 01:36:04 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »
Glad it worked out all right.
But you might want to listen to Miss Kitty.
You don't bounce like you used to .    ;D

I had a similar talk with my Dad.
He was complaining about getting feeble, and not being able to work like he used to.
I pointed out that at 90 his work ethic really shouldn't matter any more.    ;D   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
Glad it worked out all right.
But you might want to listen to Miss Kitty.
You don't bounce like you used to .    ;D

So we're sitting around the patio Saturday night and I had an icepack on my arm were I had gotten two spider bites just under the sleeve.  My youngest said they needed to compile a list of my injuries to read at my eulogy.  Nothing real serious, but  I've had some "unique" ones.

A few of them are.

Slid down a 30' creosote telephone pole.   Drove my self home, cleaned up, I mean you can't go to the ER with dirty underwear.  Then drove myself to the ER.

Got run over by the Ga Tech Ramblin' Wreck.  Got up and completed a 5K.  Coming in 49th / 300 in the race.  Went to campus infirmary where the ER personnel and a couple of distraught cheerleaders were waiting on me.  The cheerleaders had been on the running board and were freaked out by the fact they had witnessed it all.  No dates but I got hugs and kisses! ;)  There concern was no one knew who had gotten run over or what had happened to that person in all the confusion.  They'd called all surrounding ERs and med centers but couldn't find the "victim".

Have been bitten by any number of insects including a confirmed Brown Recluse bite.  Fast diagnosis and treatment just left me with a pock-mock scar.  Fortunate, because that thing can kill you.

Still I got one bucket list item that just might do me in.   I want to catch a venomous snake bare handed.  I came close a couple years ago but the sucker got away and hid from me.  I know it's more of 1 in gazillion opportunity I'll get the chance again, but I keep an eye out.

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
Still I got one bucket list item that just might do me in.   I want to catch a venomous snake bare handed.  I came close a couple years ago but the sucker got away and hid from me.  I know it's more of 1 in gazillion opportunity I'll get the chance again, but I keep an eye out.

That sounds like a seriously BAD idea.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
Yeah.  What Tom said.

Creosote pole? C'mon...you gotta give us more than that.  Just thinking about the splinters hurts...not to mention the chemical burns associated with them.

And how is the 5 BTV?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »
Creosote pole? C'mon...you gotta give us more than that.  Just thinking about the splinters hurts...not to mention the chemical burns associated with them.

And how is the 5 BTV?

Not a lot of "splinters"  more like chunks.  It was a well used pole.   When I went to ER, the DR said all the creosote needed to scrubbed away.  Gave two nurse trainees the task.  00 gauze and Phisohex.  At least they were cute.   That afternoon I had to pick my mother up at the airport.  I was wrapped with gauze from my neck down both arms.  I could bend them though.  So imagine her reaction having a zombie greet her at the airport.

5 BTV working well.   28 states on 40m so far.  I may add 3 vertical radial, 20m, 15m, 10m, next week to see what that does.  SWR is a touch higher than I'd like, but resonance seems to be pretty good. 
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk