Author Topic: Getting Set Up  (Read 14539 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Getting Set Up
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
Two weeks until the first Cowboy match I'll make this year, and I'm finally getting things set up ... and ordering more parts.

I own the Dillon 650 with a friend, and I got it home Thursday afternoon.  When I got home tonight (Saturday) I started checking out what I still need to order.

For components I am only short bullets and grits, but those look like they will be on the way beginning of the week.  For the press I will be putting in my Dillon order tomorrow, and I will count on their good service.

Among the surprises was my tote with some items in it:

2K CCI large pistol primers - $19.99 per 1,000
3 1/4 pound Longshot - $16.99/pound ($22.99 today on sale)
1 1/2 pound Bullseye - $15.99/pound ($26.99 today on sale)

A quick inventory of my DFL Nightmare room shows the following:
24 3/4 powder
25,000 primers
Enough lead to contaminate the entire California water supply
Enough ammunition to stock a small gun shop
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Getting Set Up
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:19:22 PM »
Here are some of the Bullet suppliers I have used, any of them will give(sell) you good quality bullets.Check their prices and see who is best for you.

https://rimrockbullets.net/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=f8efb6df89a966da6836e96f551def02

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/categories.php?cat=Hard+Cast+Lead+Bullets+for+Reloading

http://www.clarksbullets.com/
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
Damn It!!!

Truck is parked for the day, so I'm working around the house.  While waiting for a little drying outside it is interior.

I just found another five pounds of powder and 5K primers!

Time to up the insurance.

Majer,

Thanks for the links!  The supplier suggested to me by a friend, the one they use, had issues this weekend, so I went to Rim Rock.  Will see how their follow through is, but order experience was good.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:34:35 AM »
I've ordered from a small one-man operation called T&B Bullets with outstanding service.

http://tbbullets.com/shop/

I've used Travis' .44 bullets along side bullets from Oregon Trail-LaserCast and his is just as hard-cast. He is also one of the few that offer 100 round trial packs for a cheap price and free shipping.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck!

First glance said spendy, but then I remembered what free shipping is worth. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:25:29 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
Thanks Chuck!

First glance said spendy, but then I remembered what free shipping is worth.

Yep. The USPS bulk "if it fits, it ships" flat rates have went up over the last few years....but it's still cheaper for some things than UPS when weight/distance is a factor like lead bullets.

Three or four times a year we send one of my wife's homemade poundcakes to her aunt and uncle in Philadelphia. It used to run around $10 USPS and $14 UPS.... in January the USPS increased flat rate for the box we use to $18.75 and cut out the discount for printing your own label via the online store, which knocked it down a little to $15 per box through last year. We might have to go back to UPS for the next cake shipment.

I used to order from Oregon Trail because shipping was always factored into the price, which was reasonable to begin with. The last order I got from them was something like $63 for 500 .44's.
T&B has actually went up a few bucks. The bullets I ordered last were the 200gr RNFP .44's at $43 per 500 including shipping....now they are up to $50 and change, which still isn't a bad price for the postman getting a hernia.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
Dillon parts were ordered yesterday, and I am waiting on that for now - Shipped today, but no FedEx tracking info yet.  Hoping they arrive so I can assemble Saturday night/Sunday afternoon and reload for match.

Hornady single stage lock-n-load temporarily clamped to end of the bench, and first five rounds of .45/70 run through.  405 grain FP over 47 grain of Reloader 7 - That is a thumper and a half  :o  Five minutes later I am all out of loaded .45/70  ;D

Once Dillon is up and running I will decide how I am going to finish mounting MEC 9000 and single stage.  I think  all three are going to be done with T-Nuts under bench top and shelf storage.  The bench is only six feet long.

I read somewhere that you can make your bench more solid by storing bullets on it.  The bench is solidly screwed to the wall, but I have 200 pounds of lead and copper on top anyway.  Do you think I should add the other 200 pounds, and maybe the 150 of shot?

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »
Add a thousand more pounds, then it will be REALLY sturdy.  :o
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
Add a thousand more pounds, then it will be REALLY sturdy.  :o

Or the bench will be in pieces on the floor. :o
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
I made my reloading bench out of a hollow core door!  Really.  Mounted brackets for screw in legs and braced with aluminum strap 1 X 1/8".  Mounted my 550 to 5/8"MDX or somesuch.  Despite what you might think, I actually split the MDX and had to go to 5/8" plywood.  I have loaded thousands of rounds with this set-up.  No wobble or movement whatsoever and it is not screwed or fastened to anything.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk