Author Topic: Getting Set Up  (Read 14545 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Getting Set Up
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
I've ordered from a small one-man operation called T&B Bullets with outstanding service.

http://tbbullets.com/shop/

I've used Travis' .44 bullets along side bullets from Oregon Trail-LaserCast and his is just as hard-cast. He is also one of the few that offer 100 round trial packs for a cheap price and free shipping.

Travis is local to me and I've heard nothing but good things from the guys at the Range about his products and customer service.  I've never bought from him, I started casting and then didn't shoot as much (the powder/primer scare).  I'll have to get some ordered soon.
He who dares wins.  SAS

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
Another 35# of lead ballast arrived today while I was on the road.  I love the flat rate boxes, but I think the mailman gets sick of them.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »
I ordered about seventy lbs of brake parts a few weeks back off Amazon!  The poor UPS guy went to the wrong house the first time...  I met him half way..

:)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:01 AM »
OK guys.  I can see this is something I may need to start keeping on hand.  Just exactly what is it you order so I can start getting set up?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:15 AM »
Are you doing any reloading now Ken?  With your engineering background you should be good at it.

I enjoy reloading because of the details of figuring out what I want, how I can do it, and making it happen.  Attention to detail that many dislike is fun to me.

To me this is like potato chips.  Yesterday I received the box of supplies from Dillon Precision.  After I mounted the press on the new Strong Mount and unpacking everything, I mounted my MEC 9000 and got it adjusted for the featherlight loads (12 ga., 7/8 ounce shot, 1,200 fps).  I also installed a new large primer tray that holds over 200 primers.  I only completed about a dozen rounds last night, but this morning I sat down with my coffee to verify I had done all correctly - 100 rounds later I need to shift to work.

I will probably finish off 1,000 or 1,500 (all the 7/8 ounce wads I have) Saturday evening when I get home.  Then I will do the set up of the Dillon 650 with its new process.  Once the Dillon is ready, and before I take the MEC off the bench, I will post a photo of my small space.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:30:58 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Saturday Evening Update:

As reported earlier, press #1, Hornady Lock-N-Load single stage, is up and running and has turned out some very fine .45/70;

Press #2, Dillon 650, was clam ped down and parts ordered last weekend.  The parts arrived Thursday, and before bedtime it was mounted on the new Strong Mount and parts laid out for set up this weekend;

Press #3, MEC 9000, was set up, clamped down, and ran 25 test loads on Thursday evening prior to bedtime.  Tonight I sat down, and in 90 minutes +/- I ran, inspected and boxed 450 rounds of 12 gauge featherlights - 7/8 ounce shot over 16.4gr Red Dot - Should 1,200 fps with 7900 psi.  I ran a half dozen through the coach gun, and they are nothing for recoil as compared to standard target loads.  These are for SASS, so light is the name of the game.

Sunday's goal is to run another 1,000 featherlights through the MEC.  This will finish off the wads I have on hand for this load.  Then I need to put the caliber head together for the Dillon and start my run of SASS .38's.  This will be 125gr RNFP over 3gr Red Dot and 7gr white hominy grits.  The trick to this is I need to make a powder die extension to lift a second powder measure up about four inches, so it will operate next to the other measure (stations 2 and 3 are powder drops to pull off the special low power loads).

If all goes well on Sunday afternoon I will be writing a report that the 650 is ready and has proven a couple dozen rounds that work in the rifle.  I would like to then switch to finishing off the shotgun loads, so I can move the MEC to a shelf while I run a couple thousand .38 spl.  Those need to be cranked out between runs this week to be ready for Sunday match.

The following week will be to reset the MEC and run a couple thousand standard trap loads.  I believe I will run out of shot by that time - I estimate I have powder for 2,500 rounds and shot may run out around 1,750.

What next?  Well, there is a lot more brass, lead, primers, and powder around, but I think I will just work on emptying things for a few days first.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »
couple of comments... stand up to help prevent tendonitis in your forearm, a roller handle helps... add a light so you can check that an empty case is loaded, and power... if you load straight walled auto loading pistol cartridges, a Lee sizing die sizes further down the case and helps head off problems... when you adjust your charge bar, drop 10 charges in your scale and move the decimal point... 43 grains for 10 charges is 4.3 grains for one

when you start loading shot shells, be expected to drop a load of shot on the floor... and if you do, make sure there are no pellets lurking on the shell plate index the that could get under a primer... you will need to hand drop any shot larger than BB

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
Good words to live by Les.

I like to sit rather than stand with my Hornady.  Is the Dillion not lend itself to operating it seated?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
Alf... I did a lot of sitting in the early days, and developed a severe case of tendonitis, to the point of almost quitting the shooting sports... I reload found on range brass .... reloading .45, a lot of the cases had considerable drag on the up stroke of the 550, which put a strain on my elbow/forearm... standing and the addition of a roller handle eased the condition... I reload only 9mm on the 1050, and is not a problem

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
I built my new bench to allow me to work standing up, although my bar stools will let me sit if need be.  The 550 is still on a lower bench where I can run it seated.  Once my youngest moves out, she has until the end of August, I'll be relocating the new bench, cabinet and presses into her room once I do a little remodeling (mainly replacing the carpet with some hard flooring).  I just need to get caliber conversions for 9 and 223 for my newer unloaders  ;)  Maybe a 650 or 1050 dedicated to 223.....
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk