Author Topic: Caldwell Accumax AR-15 Barrel Cooler  (Read 13345 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Caldwell Accumax AR-15 Barrel Cooler
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
Now don't get me wrong.  Caldwell is owned by S&W and I'm a stockholder, 0.00000005%, so yeah anything Caldwell makes.

If they had attachment that let you stick it up most any pistol mag well and one that was a short hose to stick in any barrel, then maybe I could go the $50.

Here's my $10 fan in op at the range with the USB rechargeable battery pack.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
Alf,

Give me the skinny on that whole USB Battery pack you've got going. Is the fan a USB "plug in type"? What's the deal with the battery pack? How do you recharge it? 110 Volt outlet? What kind of batteries are they, and how long will they run the fan? I've seen chargers that plug into 110V, and have a USB port going "out" of them.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
If you have anything powered by a USB port, like these little fans, or cell phone chargers or LabRadar, then there are dozens of these "emergency" chargers. 

I stumbled on this one at Office Max/Depot just when I needed one for the radar.   It was on sale for $20 at the time and has Li-Ion cells inside.  It has a 6AH capacity if you don't discharge it too fast.  Has two USB ports that can supply either 1A or 2.1A.   There also a mini-USB port that is used to charge it from any of the USB wall warts.  So anything that will run off a USB wall wart will run off of this battery.

I used it Friday to run the little fan for about 4 hours, no problem.  And of course I run the LabRadar with it as well when I take it to the range.

Here's the Office Depot link for more details.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/408211/Duracell-Portable-Power-Bank-With-6000/

Here's Duracell's web site.  At work we're partial to Pro-Cells, Duracell's pro line, so I tend to prefer them at home as well. 

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/products/category/usb-battery-packs

Other manufacturers make USB solar panels and, especially in your weather, you could run a fan all day and charge multiple cell phones while still have power left over for the evening festivities.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Oh and from a prepper standpoint, you do want one of these rechargeable ones, a solar panel to keep it charged and also a recharger  that will take alkaline batteries in a pinch.
Will work for ammo

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »
Thanks Alf. I appreciate the info. I'm not up on a lot of this stuff.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:24:25 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 08:33:07 AM »
While I'm at it, do all cell phones require the same power? I have a Motorola Moto G Smart Phone. How do I know I'm not giving it too much power? I know that batteries don't "push current". But is there any way I could damage it using one of these type of battery packs?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
Not all cell phones have bought into the USB style charging system.  If the charging cable is a USB type,  socket pictured above, then probably any USB charging battery pack or wall wart, or even a computer port, could be used to keep it charged.

I was a little skeptical of these emergency chargers at first, looking down my nose thinking, "Stupid people If just keep your phone charged in the first place."  That was until I was on an extended trip and got caught in DFW for would could have been 2-3 days.   I commandeered one of the few pay phones in the place and only used my cell phone for texting until I could get out of there.   Now when I travel, I carry one of these in my carry-on bag.
Will work for ammo

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 04:45:45 PM »
Mine has that little trapezoidal port that the phone end plugs into. And the other end plugs into a 110 outlet. I've seen chargers for it that plug into a cigarette lighter. I have a 110 outlet in my new Jeep, but for my truck I'd need the 12 volt cigarette lighter deal. I have no idea what voltage or amperage the phone requires to run.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
A device you might consider...if you would have another use for it....is a Bio-Lite stove.  Several sizes and accessories including lighting arrays.

CampStove
Turn fire into electricity using wood

http://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/biolite-campstove

Also, a tip I happened to see the other day.  I found I had been making good emergency tinder for many years now.   Clothes dryer lint.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 06:24:07 PM »
Do they make wood burning cell phones?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk