Author Topic: Preparing for first build....Sugestions  (Read 16836 times)

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Preparing for first build....Sugestions
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »
   Spent a little time late last night after work, and this morning ordering some parts for a first AR build.  Will probably build this fall or winter when I have more time.  Figured I better get some of the parts now, before the election gets more heated and parts become unobtainable.   There were lots of sales this holiday weekend, and I'm trying to not break the bank with this build.  Ordered an Aero Precision stripped upper and lower and a Ballistic Advantage 16 inch midlength barrel.  Got upper and lower parts kits and charging handle coming also.  Trying to spread the other parts purchases over a couple of months as the funds become available.  Need to decide on and get a butt stock, fore end/handguards, and sights.  I have a BCG somewhere, I think Bushmaster, but may get something different.  I already have a basic stock and handguard, that I have had around for awhile, so I can at least put it together, even if it is not quite what I want in the end. I was going to do a build a few years back, but because of some issues and personal reasons it never happened. That's the reason I have some miscellaneous parts about.  I think I have all the necessary tools, but will need to double check.

I'm not going for a super light weight build, but don't want something that is big, fat, and club like either.  Round or oval shaped handguards are readily available if I go that route.  The ones I have on hand are fat like the M4 big fat guards, but I want something smaller.  From memory, it seems like some of the round hanguards on AR's at the store are trimmer than others.  Does anyone know what brand the smaller midlength hands guards might be?

I may go with some kind of free float handguard instead.  Again I want something trimmer, and not packed full of rails that make it bigger, fatter and heavier.  I'd rather have something that I can add a rail section or put accessories on as needed or wanted.  I don't know much about the key lock or M lock rails.  Any suggestions for a trimmer sized free float handguard would be appreciated.  Will need some sights too, but I haven't even really thought about those yet.  The barrel I'm getting comes with a low profile gas block, so any sights will either have to go on the handguard or I will have to use a different gas block.

Any suggestions or ideas on a butt stock?  Again I don't want or need something bulky.  Most likely I will go with some kind of adjustable stock, but I kind of like the Ace skeleton stock.

A few years back when I was contemplating a build, someone on here (maybe Frank or Tom) mentioned the Military Tech manual on Ar's, M16's and gave the number for it.  If someone knows the name and the number of the manual, that would be helpful to me.
Any suggestions or pointers for the first build I'm planning would be helpful and appreciated.  Thank you for your help.

Below are links to the major components I have ordered so far.

Upper:
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-upper-receiver.html

Lower:
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black.html

Barrel:
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Preparing for first build....Sugestions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:13:23 PM »
my primary 3 gun carbine is a 16" RRA mid with a Midwest Industries full float hand guard that is smaller diameter than the factory railed gas block, which sets ahead of it... not a problem for me as I index on the vertical fore grip...proprietary barrel nut, and not inexpensive...can't help you on the stock as I use a VietNam era A1...as it's a game gun, a RRA NM trigger, Enidine hydraulic buffer, modified Miculek brake... I use a fixed 4x32 TA31F, and knock off offset sights for close range...will post a picture if I can get Photobucket to load

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:44:01 AM »
Brownell's has a video series on building an AR that is much better than the tech manual as it shows you just how to do what you need.

http://www.ar15builder.com/

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »
I just finished my first AR (pistol, but the only difference is the barrel length). It was way less complicated than I always thought it would be. Brownells and youtube is your friend.

Get a good 1/2" drive torque wrench and a good set of vice blocks and an AR wrench. I already had a good torque wrench and found a vice block and wrench kit on ebay for less than $30 shipped.

Larry Potterfield has some excellent AR build videos on youtube, but also not that a lot of the "stuff" he tells you you "need" in order to build it is designed to sell you something. You really only need minimal tools, but you need the proper tools.

There are plenty of guys on here that can help you when the time comes to assemble.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »
There's several threads about us guys building them.  Not that we're experts, but it will tell you our process and travails.

My first AR build was just the lower, I bought a complete upper.   Then I got brave and have since build 3 from scratch. 

My experience is you decide on the barrel and upper first.  Put those together with the gas block and tube, then you can decided and put on the fore end.   Part of the fun is just deciding how you want yours to be unique.   Also knowing if you want to change it out later you can.

You should use a torque wrench on the barrel, but you can get away with out it.  The brilliance of the AR design is the lack of worry over headspacing.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:48:07 AM »

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:41:04 AM »
Watch the videos, especially the tricks for installing the detents on the forward reciever pin along with the tricks for installing the bolt stop roll pin and not scratching the lower. I would also recommend downloading and printing a step by step printout for your first build. It's not necessary but sure is handy. Ar15.com has some good tutorials available along with a life size layout sheet for all of your small parts too. I still use the layout because I'm to cheap to buy a good builders mat.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:52 AM »
I used a small putty knife on the detents.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »
You never posted any pics, Tom!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
a good roll pin punch helps from scratching the receiver when you pin the bolt hold open... a 1/4" slave pin inserted from the left side allows you to put the take down detent and spring in place then insert the pin, pushing out the slave...if you have a gas block attached with set screws... a second detent in the barrel helps, and make sure the gas tube is parallel to the sides of the receiver and trial fit the bolt to make sure the gas key does not touch

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »
Thank you all for the help, suggestions, and encouragement.

Got the stripped upper, LPK, barrel, gas tube, and forward assist kit this week.  Stripped lower should be here next week.  I goofed and still need to get an ejection port door kit.  I meant to get the kit that included it, but inadvertently ordered just the forward assist.  Still haven't decided on what stock and forend or handguard I want to go with, but I have time for that yet.

I think I have the tools I need with the exception of a good bench vise and a good work place to use it.

I have watched the Brownell's how to videos and a few other manufactures videos.  Still plan to watch the Midway videos and a few others.  Still want to get the Military Tech manual.

Again I appreciate the help and suggestions and still need opinions and ideas for a stock and forend.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk