Author Topic: Preparing for first build....Sugestions  (Read 16837 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Preparing for first build....Sugestions
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
My M16A2 TM is from October 1984. It has level 2 and 3 maintenance so it covers unit armorer (level 2 organizational) and small arms repair (level 3 intermediate) jobs and parts lists. This one is from the USMC and I don't think the army had an A2 manual yet when it came out. There should be newer manuals available. This one is TM 05538C-23&P/2. Appendix E has an illustrated list of tools you can make to help out with things like installing pivot pins.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
You never posted any pics, Tom!

Yeah, I didn't take any during the build.

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »

Yeah, I didn't take any during the build.

Got a camera now?

We never saw the final product.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:50 AM »
Frank, thanks for the heads up on the TM.  Been looking at it online and printing out some of the pages.
DPW thanks for the tip on the layout sheet on AR15com, I'll have to look for that.  Have been watching some of the videos.  Probably have the tools needed.

Decided to go with an ACE skeleton stock, which arrived last week.  Still need to decide on a hand guard.
My original plan was to more or less build this one decently, but on the cheap.  That may go a little by the wayside as I am thinking of getting a Midwest Industries free float forend.  MI can be a little pricey.  Not a quad rail, but a trimmer one with M-Lok as opposed to KeyMod.

I'll take some pictures when I gather all the parts and build.  I might need some help when it comes time to post them.  I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to to tech stuff like that.  Do you think a caveman can do it?

I haven't even built one AR yet, and already think of a second one, so ordered this lower.
https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/dont-tread-on-me-lower-receiver-2235-56/

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
Good going, Blackwolfe.   Building becomes habit forming.   Any excuse to start another one.  Like my last which started when Suarez sent me a flash suppressor.  The project hinged around that one part.    Now the indoor ranges are have 2 gun matches with PCC.

Hmm might have to build one for that.     OH WAIT, there's a 9mm boolit.  Got to build an AR round that.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:27:02 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 10:12:25 PM »
Alf... if you decide to build a 9mm PCC, let me know...have been through some trials with a variety of buffer and spring combinations... as well as a scope selection...shot a 250 round PCC match in Frostproof Sunday, on 8 of the stages from the USPSA Nationals... USPSA President Mike Foley was there, and we offered several suggestions on start position and bag/unbag tables... he and Troy McManus (NROI Director) are soliciting comments from PCC competitors

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:46 AM »
Cool, Les.

These are just local indoor matches and I hate to be excluded.   I sold off my Camp Carbine several years back, and now regret it.   I'm still in the stage where you figure out what priority this project is, really.   Just to get in on the fun I could go with a Hi-point or a Kel-tec.   But there's the lure of building another AR.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
I got my feet wet with a small Glock lower Mechtech carbine conversion, and then build an AR from a New Frontier Armory billet lower...

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
Still haven't built The MSR yet.  Still need to get a handguard/fore end.  Picked up a few more tools and a bench vise.  Been trying to spread the purchases out over a few months so I don't exceed the available cash flow.  I hope to order one soon.  Need to find the time to clean up the basement and mount the vise on a bench.

Going to AZ to see my new grandson.  Need to get tires for the car also, and the upcoming holidays.  All these things suffer the cash flow and available time.

Still open to ideas or suggestions on a free float handguard.   
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »
blackwolfe... if you are not looking to hang accessories on it, I built my last two ARs with plain Yankee Hill Machine fore ends... full floated...I wasn't sure of the length I wanted on the 9mm PCC but will probably keep it as shown...not much of a "cool" factor, but works well for a competition carbine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk