Author Topic: Preparing for first build....Sugestions  (Read 16910 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Preparing for first build....Sugestions
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 06:10:13 AM »
How strong of a set up is that free float hand guard (or any free float) ?
My only concern with the AR design is that everything forward of the mag well is hanging by only the barrel threads.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 06:23:10 AM »
Les that was like a "Duh" moment for me.  If I'm not going to hang a coffee maker and an aquarium from the dang thing why do I need key mod or m lock or picatinny? 

Unless I need a fold down front sight I'll stick with the tried and true even with a dot...and save a few bucks there too.

Tom I have the same concerns.  I have a DMR build that floats.  It seems sturdy enough but I always feel like, in the back of my head, that I need to be a bit gentle with the DMR just because.  I haven't shot it enough to know if its going to hold up or not.  Maybe after 4 or 5 thousand rounds I'll have an opinion...  ???

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 07:29:08 AM »
the $35 YHM shown has an aluminum barrel nut that is approx 1.5" long... it uses a 3 pin spanner to tighten... I go to 35 ft-lb and then line up the gas tube for a 5.56, not needed for the 9mm...the barrel nut is externally threaded for the tube itself, and once tightened is pretty stable, though can loosen... I usually add a drop of Loctite....I have a much more expensive $150 Midwest Industries full float on my primary 5.56 that uses a steel barrel nut,  and the tube then clamps to the machined surface of the barrel nut with a pair of cap screws...the top rail is aligned with the receiver with a pair of ears.... very solid

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
The only free-float I have (I'll be changing my carbine in the future as well) is on a short pistol, but like Les, there is a good 1.5 inches of fine threads...and mine has a locking ring and an extended set-screw that locks into the grooves in the center of the nut. It is very rigid and I don't think that would change if it were any longer.
I paid $30 for the kit that had the nut, fore-end, and four keymod rails with an end cover. I will probably buy the same version, just longer, for my carbine.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
Les that was like a "Duh" moment for me.  If I'm not going to hang a coffee maker and an aquarium from the dang thing why do I need key mod or m lock or picatinny? 

Unless I need a fold down front sight I'll stick with the tried and true even with a dot...and save a few bucks there too.

Tom I have the same concerns.  I have a DMR build that floats.  It seems sturdy enough but I always feel like, in the back of my head, that I need to be a bit gentle with the DMR just because.  I haven't shot it enough to know if its going to hold up or not.  Maybe after 4 or 5 thousand rounds I'll have an opinion...  ???

Do not go with the old fashioned front sight !  Unless you lift the red dot about 2 inches all you will see through it is the backsideof the sight post.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:43:18 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 07:07:20 AM »

Do not go with the old fashioned front sight !  Unless you lift the red dot about 2 inches all you will see through it is the backsideof the sight post.

Tom, I'm OK with an EOTech on that.  I dial it down until I see the 4 middle dots and line up front and rears for zero.  And it does block at the bottom but it gives me co-witness confidence.  It may be worse with one of the other dots. 

I've been working so many hours to hang on the last 4 years, and I'm blessed I know, that I have displaced myself from the shooting I love.  I need to get back up to speed.

Les, I see you like Yankee Hill and you mentioned the Midwest Industries.I've looked at YHM AR parts and like the quality.  I just wanted to make sure in your last sentence that the Midwest Industries was more solid than the YHM?  I'm interested in building some AR's over the next year and I'm trying to get on the bubble about what's new and improved from several years ago.  I am defaulting toward Geissele forends because of their rep 3 years ago but they are pricey and I know price is not a good indicator of quality and utility. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
Ruger announced that they'll be selling their AR lowers. I think it was $129 for a stripped lower.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
Rastus... I added the Midwest Industries fore end just before the 2014 Area 6 match as I wanted a smaller diameter off hand grip, so it is a couple of years old now...mine is short, it does not cover the railed gas block, as I wasn't sure I would put the off set front sight on the fore end or the gas block... at the time MI had a good reputation and was somewhat less expensive than others... since then I haven't kept up with what is available... the barrel nut is proprietary and comes with a special spanner to install... like I commented, it appears to be a very solid system with the alignment ears and cap screw pinch lock...I haven't been shooting the 5.56 gun as much as the 9mm PCC and .22 conversion on my SBR... the PCC and .22 upper have the YHM fore ends....regards

pic of the short 9 1/2" .22 for my SBR.... I like the look of the YHM solid fore ends for the shorter guns... shown without a charging handle and bolt as I'm still converting from the 16" .22... switching sights around on the PCC

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 11:23:56 AM »
Ruger announced that they'll be selling their AR lowers. I think it was $129 for a stripped lower.

Sportsman's Guide has them for $100.... ($90 for members)...limited quantities (3000 units) over the next few months.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-multi-caliber?p=e648n&i=689514&ecid=Email-e648n&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e648n&om_u=NshXQZ&om_i=_BYNafuB9VYq-hg&em_id=chuck.goins%40yahoo.com

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk