Author Topic: Duracoat Vs. Cerakote ??  (Read 10943 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Duracoat Vs. Cerakote ??
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:36:21 AM »
I'm reading a lot about both of these firearm finishes lately. The problem is I'm not familiar with either of them. Can anyone shed some light on these coatings who has guns treated with them? From what I've been able to gather, Duracoat is a type of high tech Epoxy paint. Where as Cerakote is more involved, and supposedly much more durable as far as resistance to oils, solvents, and the like. Duracoat can be applied at home, where as Cerakote requires a type of "certified service center" you need to send your gun to in order to get it applied, because it's a more involved process.

And then to further complicate things, you have the very popular camo dip finishes. They appear to be a kind of, "liquid decal", or some such. From what I've read, those are the least resistant to oils and the elements because they scratch very easily. When you see photos of guns treated with these finishes, most are new and look really good. I'm just wondering what they look like after a couple of years, and a few thousand rounds of use? Can anyone comment on these finishes who has a lot of experience with them?

Timothy

Re: Duracoat Vs. Cerakote ??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
My Para LTC was coated in their "Paracoat" as they called it.  I believe it's similar to the Duracoat.

It did not hold up well and scratched quite easily.  It was an aluminum receiver however.  I've read that guys used Duracoat sprayed over Paracoat and it held up better.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
I have looked at these things off and on for a few years too. Also looked into doing a  "rattle can" finish on my shotgun. It's just spray can camo(two or more colors). Rattle can does NOT hold up, but in a camo pattern you can do a lot of damage before it looks bad.
 Duracoat is supposed to be decent, but doesn't hold up under a lot of use (from what I've read- no experience).
I've read that cerakote holds up pretty well. I think it gets baked on and is much more of a process, and there are "certified applicators".
I"d thought about having a pistol done, but I just haven't seen any rock solid recommendations on durability. Plus every one of my guns was bought, in part, because I liked the way it looked. So changing them doesn't make much sense.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »
You can DIY cerakote...... kits are available at Midway and Brownells......there is a learning curve because the layers go on thin.
I had a friend/neighbor who used to do the Duracoat as a side business at his shooting range. He got away from it because too many folks expected it to be able to withstand more than it is designed to do. He says the ceracoat is more durable because it has ceramic particles that bake-on. They have an air-dry version, but from what I understand, the bake-on is better. YMMV

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
I had my 6.8 REM AR cerakoted FDE by a local guy here in KY, and I am very pleased with it. Matches the Magpul hardware and so far has held up - albeit I haven't shot it much. Have you seen the price of 6.8 lately? ? ? ? ?

The only drawback is that I had to turn everything over to the painter and wait, and wait, and wait some more.

I looked into cerakoting myself, but the need to bead-blast the aluminum was a non-starter as it would run about $1000 for a compressor large enough to drive even a small bead blast setup.

I am now looking into duracoating to see how that works, and I can do it myself. I had heard previously about the lack of durability, but since I don't shoot that much, I may just go with it. Besides, distressed paint jobs are all the rage right now . . . .

Did not know about the DIY cerakoting from Brownell's, will look into that as well. Duracoating also has a bake-on paint, but in a limited range of colors.

BTW, I actually painted a lower with Rustoleum FDE a while back, and it turned out well, considering I wasn't trying to be a pro at the painting. The finish appears hard, covered over the black nitrided surface (with multiple light coats) and does not obliterate any of the markings. YMMV
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:27:25 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »
Also check into the Alumahyde through Brownells. It is aerosol and air-dry. I have some, but have not applied it yet.

The guy I mentioned above uses Krylon Fusion aerosol paint on plastic and fibergalss parts and Rustoleum for the metal parts of his own "regular-use" rifles and shotguns. It seems to last well enough, and when it wears thin, it's easy to touch up or re-coat.

He also had one of his Glock framed hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber pattern. I can't vouch for the durability of this.

Another guy who used to shoot at the range painted his rifles using boat paint from walmart. It came in a four color camo kit. It seemed very durable.

As with anything involving painting or coating, surface prep is the most critical stage.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »
This is why I don't like paint of any kind on a firearm. Unless it's a safe queen, this is what it will look like after it gets any kind of use or wear.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Heck, that looks like a badge of honor.   ;D  ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
There was a good episode of "Gun Venture" on yesterday where Ryan Gresham went to the Cerakote "factory" in Oregon, I believe it was. They explained the process pretty well, and showed several guns it had been applied to, including Ryan's personal Springfield XD. Much of the firearm has to be stripped down, and the parts run through a specific chemical cleaning process, then oven dried before application. They said it comes in something like 100 colors, and all but unlimited patterns.

It's still a spray on coating that contains ceramic particles, that is "baked on". They didn't say what kind of temperatures are involved. That would concern me. Especially with high dollar scopes. (They did show scopes that were coated). Overall I would choose it over Duracoat because I think it's the more durable of the 2. But I doubt either are as durable as conventional rust bluing, black oxide, or Parkerizing. More rust resistant, yes. For me, I would only consider it on a gun that was severely worn, or else badly rusted, because part of the application process involves sand blasting every surface where it's being applied. That's pretty drastic.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
If durability is the most important feature, you might want to look at Armoloy

http://www.armoloyftworth.com/Armoloy_WebDevelopment/Web_Pages/Firearms_Applications.htm

Just one color, I believe, and they do not do springs or aluminum parts.

Haven't done business with them since the mid 70s, but I think they are still active.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk