Author Topic: Duracoat Vs. Cerakote ??  (Read 10944 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Duracoat Vs. Cerakote ??
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:55:09 PM »
When I worked at T/C in the 80's they used Armaloy.
Thickness of the coating meant that Armaloy barrels couldn't be used on blued receivers.
When I went back in 2001 they had dropped it in favor of plain stainless steel that was completely interchangeable.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
When I worked at T/C in the 80's they used Armaloy.
Thickness of the coating meant that Armaloy barrels couldn't be used on blued receivers.
When I went back in 2001 they had dropped it in favor of plain stainless steel that was completely interchangeable.

Don't know what tolerances are generally acceptable, and specifically not at T/C, but 0.0002 seems small?

" Armoloy’s thickness, with regard to steel, remains constant and predictable and will not reflect a buildup of greater than 0.0002 of an inch or about one fourth the thickness of a human hair! It has an equivalent hardness in excess of 78 Rockwell C when measured by conventional micro-hardness methods, making it one of the hardest coatings on the market. "
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
Tom's right. Fox Ridge Outfitters, T/C's custom shop, used to offer a service whereby they would make the Armalloy barrels and frames compatible with the others. They must have milled the finish off.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
Tom's right. Fox Ridge Outfitters, T/C's custom shop, used to offer a service whereby they would make the Armalloy barrels and frames compatible with the others. They must have milled the finish off.

I guess I wouldn't have it done to a T/C product then.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
The actual build up was more like 0.01
You could use a blue barrel on an Armaloy frame but not the other way around.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:58:22 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
That contradicts what Armoloy "glossy" says.....not saying they are being 100% truthful..but it does seem unusual.

Did T/C do the Armoloy treatment in house or did they send the parts out to an Armoloy shop?

Did T/C use any other treatments?  Duracoat or Cerackote?

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 06:06:31 AM »
They sent the parts out. That was long before Duracote or any of the other "super finishes". The only other finish I know of them using was the camo dip stuff they put on receivers rejected for porosity.
They did all their bluing in house as well as color case hardening. They claimed that was a Doug Turnbull process but that was bullshit, it was done right beside one of the machines I ran..

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »
I am not a fan of any finish that is not chemically or electrically( plating not powder coating) apply.

none of them hold up worth a shit.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
I am not a fan of any finish that is not chemically or electrically( plating not powder coating) apply.

TAB, I agree. All of this spray on crap looks like $h!t after any normal wear.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »

That is why I liked Armoloy...

Only have one firearm treated...  Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag...and had no tolerance but maybe a single action revolver is not that tight.

It just never took any wear...
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk