Author Topic: Bolt gun for defense  (Read 9453 times)

Sean LeMasters

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bolt gun for defense
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »
Financially this got shoved to the back burner, but it has given me more time to think things through. As much as I like the idea of a bolt gun for defense I can see the wisdom of using a semi-auto for the job. Probably something like the Sig MCX SBR, short barrel and folding stock and uses AR mags. I'm still thinking of something in the 1x-4x range optically.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
Have you ruled out lever action? 

I don't have any experience with it, but I find a takedown interesting for travel:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-Lever-Action-Takedown-Rifle-a-field-test-review/531840.uts

It's pretty expensive...but you have a lot of caliber choices and you skirt around a lot of stupid local laws with a lever action.
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/current-production/blr-lightweight-81-stainless-takedown.html
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

Bolt gun for defense
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
Mr. Bane just did a podcast about lever actions.  I've been saving for one for some time.  Can't buy AR's here anymore, at least and until they upend the AG's ban on them...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
I had forgotten about that.  How can he do that?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
I had forgotten about that.  How can he do that?

It's a she and she just did!

She reinterpreted the law and stopped sales the next day!

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:41:45 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
If you want to get a really lightweight AR the KSP US X-7 Monarch AR-15 carbine weighs a pound less than some AR pistols. It's barely over 4 pounds but more expensive than the average AR. https://www.kaiserus.com/product/x-7-monarch-ar-15-light-as-a-feather-rifle/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sean LeMasters

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »
Have you ruled out lever action? 

I don't have any experience with it, but I find a takedown interesting for travel:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-Lever-Action-Takedown-Rifle-a-field-test-review/531840.uts

It's pretty expensive...but you have a lot of caliber choices and you skirt around a lot of stupid local laws with a lever action.
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/current-production/blr-lightweight-81-stainless-takedown.html

That's a really good point, I had forgotten about a lever gun. A Browning BLR Takedown in 308 would fit the bill really well. Especially a suppressor ready SBR.

We don't have any laws about AR's to worry about here but my wife has been wanting to get a camper in a few years and a lever action would definitely travel better than a semi auto would.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
A suppressed .308 BLR would be cool but if you want a lever action you have lots of choices from .22 LR on up to .457 WWG, and even bigger calibers. I don't think anyone makes .50 Alaskan rifles anymore except a few custom makers, but Wild West Guns has brass for it, and Buffalo Bore makes ammo for it starting at $100 and change for 20 rounds.

Suddenly the price on .457 WWG ammo doesn't look so bad. Wild West Guns makes a great looking take-down model .457 WWG but it's priced way beyond the budget many of us have. https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/ak-co-pilot/
Corbon makes ammo in .457 WWG. It seems really expensive except when compared to .50 Alaskan. https://shopcorbon.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67_112

.45-70 would be a more realistic choice for a big bore and could be had in much more affordable rifles. The medium bore calibers would be better all around but not needed if you aren't in bear country. A .308 would probably be the best all around caliber because it's big enough to handle 2-legged varmints and most game animals, plus you can get ammo for it at a reasonable price practically anywhere that sells ammo.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk