Author Topic: 7" AR pistol with LAW folding stock adapter  (Read 11104 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7" AR pistol with LAW folding stock adapter
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
recently I've become fascinated with short barrel ARs....pic is of my latest, a 7" 5.56 AR pistol with a LAW folding stock adapter, my idea of a personal defensive weapon PDW... this is a proof of concept project, and with the muzzle blast it produces, will most likely be replaced with either a 10.5" 5.56 or an 8" 9mm barrel....depends on how much accuracy I get with the test platforms...if you build something like this, be sure to add a hand stop...mine is a piece of 1/2" aluminum with a shoulder turned that fits the fore end slots and attaches with a button head cap screw and rail attachment plate

tombogan03884

Re: 7" AR pistol with LAW folding stock adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »
My opinion ?
Stick with 5.56 .
Pistol caliber doesn't save you any size or weight for a significant decrease in performance.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
My opinion ?
Stick with 5.56 .
Pistol caliber doesn't save you any size or weight for a significant decrease in performance.

I agree.
Going with a pistol caliber in a gun this size is really no advantage....might as well just shoot a 9mm pistol (and use the weight savings to carry more mags and ammo).
IMHO, the whole idea of this type weapon is to get a rifle caliber in as small a package as possible for portable firepower.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »
Yes, I don't get the whole pistol caliber carbine fad.
They were proven inadequate  in full auto which is why we got the AK and the M-1 carbine and sub guns went away.
The only possible advantage is 30 rounds instead of 17 in a Glock.
But they are still 30 inadequate pistol rounds in the same package that could be rifle rounds at twice the velocity.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
I agree.
Going with a pistol caliber in a gun this size is really no advantage....might as well just shoot a 9mm pistol (and use the weight savings to carry more mags and ammo).
IMHO, the whole idea of this type weapon is to get a rifle caliber in as small a package as possible for portable firepower.

I agree 100%. It should be a 5.56mm, or possibly larger, but not smaller. If you want a 9mm pistol you could get one of the many plastic fantastic models on the market.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:30:41 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
As to the OP, Les that is a fine gun, and about as compact as you could get and still have a serviceable rifle round.
And I do get the muzzle blast issue (I have a 7" Pistol configuration also) and even with the linear comp directing much of the blast forward, it is still a noise-beast.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »
I'm a member at an indoor range with a 100yd rifle bay... did not get to shoot the 7" or the 10.5" for groups at 50 and 100 as the bay was undergoing maintenance... will try next week... that will be the deciding factor of the 7 or 10.5....I'm not sure I can get under 6" groups with the short barrel at that distance...the pistol does function so far with an H1 buffer, but have less than 80 rounds through it

I have an extra Glock lower for a 9mm PCC and extra 16" barrel that I may chop to around 8"... well, just because I can

re: pistol caliber carbines.... they are a lot of fun to shoot... I have a 16" and a 10.5 on my SBR...as you can use them for USPSA competition on a very frequent basis... I can shoot 3 matches a month within about a 1 1/4 hr driving time....exceptional accuracy combined with an optical sight provides  superb hit quality, with relatively cheap ammo ... I'd use the same amount if I shot the match with my G34

my original design criteria was to over match an AK's accuracy at 100m with as small a platform as possible....

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:53:50 AM »
Fun ?
Well, that trumps my argument. ;D

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »
The cheap ammo is probably the most valid point, IMHO....followed by the "because I can" and "fun" options (there's always that).  ;D

*My comments weren't meant to dissuade anyone from building what they want. I tend to view things from a practical/defense perspective and was merely offering that side of the coin. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
What Pegleg said ! LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk