Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32624 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »
Thanks for the education Brian.  I really didn't know.  All of that makes perfect sense now.

A larger sensor is a good thing for resolution too I suppose.  And I had no idea the mirror swings up in an SLR...gee..what a dummy.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

BAC

« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the education Brian.  I really didn't know.  All of that makes perfect sense now.

A larger sensor is a good thing for resolution too I suppose.  And I had no idea the mirror swings up in an SLR...gee..what a dummy.

Resolution is just a small piece of the equation (mostly marketing).

We aren't born knowing these things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
But SLRs allow you to see the shot in natural definition through the lens directly into your eye.   You can tell pretty precisely how the picture is going to turn out, exposure, focus and contrast-wise.   To quote Nikon:

With Nikon’s optical viewfinders, you see what the lens sees—without any delay and in real time.

Without SLR, then you're viewing the shot on a tiny LCD screen (~900kpixels).
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »
Of course then some of the greatest shots have been, guess at the settings, point and shoot, e.g., Iwo Jima flag.
Will work for ammo

BAC

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2018, 05:37:55 PM »
But SLRs allow you to see the shot in natural definition through the lens directly into your eye.   You can tell pretty precisely how the picture is going to turn out, exposure, focus and contrast-wise.   To quote Nikon:

Without SLR, then you're viewing the shot on a tiny LCD screen (~900kpixels).
SLRs don't show exposure, and most don't show you 100% of the final image.  Mirrorless cameras show you exactly what is going to be in the image, as it is showing directly what the image sensor will record.  Focus is also more accurate with a mirrorless, but focus is faster on SOME SLRs.

Sponsor

« Reply #135 on: Today at 02:46:49 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »
SLRs don't show exposure, and most don't show you 100% of the final image.  Mirrorless cameras show you exactly what is going to be in the image, as it is showing directly what the image sensor will record.  Focus is also more accurate with a mirrorless, but focus is faster on SOME SLRs.

Brian, you're certainly way levels above me, so I bow to your knowledge.

Having worked with video cameras I found most operators cannot do a good focus on even a 7" LCD viewfinder.  The director had to guide them sometimes since she was viewing on a 40" monitor.  I can't image than I could focus better with a 3.2" LCD than with the direct viewing of the mirror.   But then again my film and digital SLRs are the bottom of the Nikon line, not something top end like these.
Will work for ammo

BAC

« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
Brian, you're certainly way levels above me, so I bow to your knowledge.

Having worked with video cameras I found most operators cannot do a good focus on even a 7" LCD viewfinder.  The director had to guide them sometimes since she was viewing on a 40" monitor.  I can't image than I could focus better with a 3.2" LCD than with the direct viewing of the mirror.   But then again my film and digital SLRs are the bottom of the Nikon line, not something top end like these.
I should have specified "autofocus" when I was speaking of focus systems.  I can't see well enough to manually focus any of them.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
Since it's a camera thread I thought it would be a good place to post a picture. I use Bing desktop to change my desktop picture every day, then exit the program because I don't use Bing for anything else. Out of the 4 new pictures and 8 old ones it offered me Wednesday I picked the maned wolf.

It looks like the face of a fox, on the body of a wolf, with long legs like a deer. But they aren't dogs, wolves, coyotes, foxes, jackals, or dingoes. It's the only species in the genus Chrysocyon and it's not closely related to any other animal. The average adult weighs 51 pounds, stands 35 inches tall at the shoulder, has a head-body length of 39 inches, with an 18 inch tail, and it's ears are 7 inches long! Besides all its other unusual features, it has a black mane that can make stand up. I finally figured out how to save a picture of it and nothing else on my desktop. I used Paint to save it as a jpg and shrunk it down to 77% to get it under the 300k limit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maned_wolf

P.S. Every time I look at it I think its legs are a foot too long. It looks so weird that it looks like the picture has been altered.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
That is one odd looking dog!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2018, 05:53:21 AM »
Whoa.  That thing is definitely different.  I wonder how fast it can run?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk