Author Topic: Galil Ace .308 AK Platform "Pistol"  (Read 9305 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Galil Ace .308 AK Platform "Pistol"
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
I love everything about this weapon..... Except the price. Almost $2K out the door seems rather steep. But 20 rounds of .308 firepower out of an 11" barreled "pistol" is really impressive. And the short barreled velocity loss isn't that bad.

http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/308-winchester-7-62x51mm-nato-short-barrel-length-and-velocity-a-six-inch-308-bolt-gun/

That "brace" is like having a SBR without the $200.00 cost, paperwork, and waiting. I just wish I could justify the $2K cost for the weapon itself. Here it is being put through it's paces under unbelievable conditions. And it comes up without skipping a beat. The .308 version takes SR-25 / DPMS platform Mag-Pul 20 round .308 P-Mags.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=GAP51SB&mfg=IWI-US&mdlno=Galil+Ace+Pistol+With+Stabilizing+Brace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7q7kDCTZ0

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Galil Ace .308 AK Platform "Pistol"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
That brace sure looks like a stock. If you get an Ace pistol without it you save $100 and it's 1/2 pound lighter. That's the way I would probably go if I got one. $1,749 is still a lot to pay for what would be a toy for me. The 11.8" barrel is darned close to the 12" barrel you can get in pistol calibers for the Encore pistol but rifle calibers like the .308 in an Encore are in a 15" barrel. I don't think the 3.2" difference between that and the Ace is going to be a big deal. https://www.iwi.us/Galil/ACE-Pistol-GAP51.aspx
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:49:59 PM »
if you want a .30 cal pistol you can control, why not just build a 300BLK on a 5.56 platform... and forget the blade/wave and just shoulder the bare buffer tube?  ... just takes a new barrel

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »
if you want a .30 cal pistol you can control, why not just build a 300BLK on a 5.56 platform... and forget the blade/wave and just shoulder the bare buffer tube?  ... just takes a new barrel

That will be my next build (funds permitting).
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
One time I was talking to Tim LeGendre of LeMag Firearms back when he was making MAG-1 carbines and asked him about making a pistol version like the Iver Johnson Enforcer but in .45 Winchester magnum. He said he could do it but I never got around to ordering one. That would have been a handful. Now I'm wondering when someone will make an AR pistol in something like a .450 Bushmaster. I wouldn't want to shoot it but would like to see someone else do it. It would be pushing the AR to it's limits but it seems like someone would try it just because they could. .300 BLK can't be the upper limit for an AR pistol can it? With the .308 Galil pistol available I think that would be the way to go if you wanted rifle caliber performance from a pistol.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:46:29 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:45 AM »
if you want a .30 cal pistol you can control, why not just build a 300BLK on a 5.56 platform...

I don't want to get into another caliber. I've got tons of other guns in .308, and plenty of ammo around. And the .300 BLK has nothing on the .308.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
I don't want to get into another caliber. I've got tons of other guns in .308, and plenty of ammo around. And the .300 BLK has nothing on the .308.

All valid points, but I guess the "plenty of ammo" available would be a primary reason.

I see this as a "just because" gun.....and hey, I'm all about the "just because" factor, if one has the means.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I will say comparing the .300 BLK to the .308 WIN is an apples to oranges thing. It all depends on intended usage. Each has a place (with some overlap). A rifle caliber pistol that is used for home defense vs a "playing at the range" gun would be my two ways of deciding (this is all just my opinion, so pass the salt shaker). Inside a house, a subsonic .300 is the better choice over a full-blown .308 round. Outside, the .308 has the advantage to a degree (we are still talking pistols) because you can have a power factor at whatever the maximum range would be for accuracy.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
FWIW, I've been told that with modern propellants a barrel length of about 58 calibers of barrel diameter is needed to completely burn the propellant...

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
The first link I posted shows 2,139 FPS out of an 11" barrel with a 180 Gr. bullet in .308. (Winchester 180 Gr. Power Point load). That's some serious velocity and energy for such a short barrel. Multiplied by 20 rounds, and you've got serious power in a very small, good handling, controllable package. Albeit LOUD as hell.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
The first link I posted shows 2,139 FPS out of an 11" barrel with a 180 Gr. bullet in .308. (Winchester 180 Gr. Power Point load). That's some serious velocity and energy for such a short barrel. Multiplied by 20 rounds, and you've got serious power in a very small, good handling, controllable package. Albeit LOUD as hell.

And bright....probably bright too.  :D

A good friend did some experimenting with a spare barrel in a .308 Remington bolt rifle. He started with a 24" target barrel and cut it down in 1/2" increments to test accuracy vs barrel length. Surprisingly, accuracy didn't diminish much, but without reducing the load (which was optimized for the 24" barrel length) there was a lot of powder being burned outside the barrel which equals flash.

Man, can you imagine shooting an 11" barreled full power .308 (un-suppressed) in a hallway or small room.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk