Author Topic: Boyd's laminated wood AR furniture  (Read 11668 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Boyd's laminated wood AR furniture
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
Brian... check the fired brass around  1/4"  above the base, and see if there is a narrow band with longitudinal stretch marks...it might be an indication of a head space problem, or resized/reloaded brass... bottle neck cases grow when fired, and straight wall cases shrink...the mouth of your case looks funky, and if is brass flowing from a head space problem it might show on the base of the case

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
It's the area just above the extraction groove on the cartridge.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
Late to the party here. This is a Boyd's Coffee Laminate Thumbhole Stock I put on a Marlin X-7 I picked up in .223 a couple of years ago. The injection molded, black plastic stock it came with was too hard on the eyes. This looks so much better, and it didn't take all but 5 minutes to change it out.

BAC

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
Went out to clean it before work and, being a bear of little brain, remembered that I have head space gages.  Removed the extractor and ejector and, viola!  go gage don't go.

NO BUENO

Just called Stag Arms and they are sending an RMA and shipping label right now.  At least it's pretty.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
It looks great but at the same time wrong for an AR. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:57:23 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
It looks great but at the same time wrong for an AR.

It's less EBRish. I think we all get used to seeing the same ol' same ol' and anything different doesn't look right.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 10:46:06 PM »
Late to the party here. This is a Boyd's Coffee Laminate Thumbhole Stock I put on a Marlin X-7 I picked up in .223 a couple of years ago. The injection molded, black plastic stock it came with was too hard on the eyes. This looks so much better, and it didn't take all but 5 minutes to change it out.

Very nice indeed.

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Wood is pretty .
But polymer is dead to the effects of weather and what not.
Use those pretty guns for the range, keep the polymer stuff for beating around the woods.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
I've pulled apart and sealed some of my wood stocks.  It get's dry in the summer here in Oklahoma so that's when the deed happens.  So far there have not been any stocks that were finished more than a token if any on the barrel channel and receiver area....so it gets a stain and then a couple of coats of a good sealer on it.  Then everything gets oiled and siliconed down.

Not a plastic stock but I like it.... 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
A lot of these newer laminates have so much resin and glue holding the laminated pieces together, they're almost like a solid plastic stock. They do need touching up and sealing in the bedding area as you mentioned. I just brushed a heavy coat of paste wax everywhere inside, and called it good. Out here there is so little humidity or rain, it really isn't necessary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk