Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 183471 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #370 on: November 02, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Jumbo..

Thanks for reminding me that I, too, liked German food while I was over there.  I'll see if there are any local places that might come close.

Also, since you spent time there, I have been trying to remember the name of a liquor.  I did not like Steinhager - tasted like 90 proof pine needles, and I Jagermeister tasted like 90 proof Vicks Formula 44.  I did like Escorial and used to get it here, but they changed the bottle and it never tasted the same after that...they claim they did not change anything else but that was a lie. 

Now, what I am trying to think of was brown in color like the Jagermeister, but with a taste I much preferred over JM...

Any recollections?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #371 on: November 02, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
Turkey and bacon grinder/hogie/sub...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #372 on: November 02, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
Jumbo..

Thanks for reminding me that I, too, liked German food while I was over there.  I'll see if there are any local places that might come close.

Also, since you spent time there, I have been trying to remember the name of a liquor.  I did not like Steinhager - tasted like 90 proof pine needles, and I Jagermeister tasted like 90 proof Vicks Formula 44.  I did like Escorial and used to get it here, but they changed the bottle and it never tasted the same after that...they claim they did not change anything else but that was a lie. 

Now, what I am trying to think of was brown in color like the Jagermeister, but with a taste I much preferred over JM...

Any recollections?

I always thought Jägermeister tasted like Vick's Formula 44 too. You can't tell by the taste that it has 56 herbs and spices. One time I saw a guy in a bar in Germany drinking something green. When I asked what it was he said roctopus, which I later thought must be an American corruption of Ratzeputz, and he gave me a shot. I smelled Absorbine Jr. once and this stuff tasted the same as Absorbine Jr. smelled. It was the same color too. Now I see that Ratzeputz is brown and tastes like ginger, so I don't know what the heck that shot was.

Chartreuse liqueur would be about the same color but by the description I read its taste is much different. Carthusian Monks have made it since 1737 according to the instructions set out in a manuscript given to them by François Annibal d'Estrées in 1605. It has 130 herbs, plants and flowers, and everything under the sun but the kitchen sink.

Wikipedia says widely sold liqueur brands are Riga Black Balsam, Jägermeister, Killepitsch, Kuemmerling, Schierker Feuerstein, Schwartzhog, Wurzelpeter, and Underberg (Germany), Altvater (Austria), Becherovka (Czech Republic), Unicum (Hungary), as well as Bénédictine and Chartreuse (France). In Italy, amaro ("bitter") liqueurs include Cynar and Ramazzotti. Any of those ring a bell? I had Underberg in little paper wrapped bottles a couple of years ago. It's supposed to be good for your digestion.

P.S. Me and my roommate used to go to a little restaurant in Germany where we usually got Jägerschnitzel and french fries. The mushroom gravy on fries is good too. A couple of times the owner, an old guy name Pete, brought out a bottle of Yugoslavian schnapps. The 3 of us had shots and the term firewater is a perfect description. It was clear and it burned going down. It may have been distilled from fruit, like Rakia or Slivovitz, but tasted like 100 proof lighter fluid. Real schnapps is nothing like the syrupy, typically 30-40 proof flavored liqueurs we call schnaps here. It's distilled from whatever they want to make it from and doesn't have flavors added to it. It's more like grain alcohol than our schnaps.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: November 02, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Turkey and bacon grinder/hogie/sub...

Where's the beef? As Crocodile Dundee might say, that's not a sub, THIS is a sub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWfm_pap6wY
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #374 on: November 02, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »
Finished the last of the cheesecake.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #375 on: Today at 05:26:15 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: November 02, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
I probably would have finished that cheesecake 2 days ago. That's why I can't buy it. When I saw a variety cheesecake with every slice a different flavor on sale I was tempted. Fruitstand cheesecakes like this are good if you like fruit swirled into your cheesecake. I love sweet stuff that's too sweet for a lot of people and this would only be 3 servings for me.

https://richsfoodservice.com/products/61034/

I'm eating roasted garlic chicken smoked sausage on a roll with some sharp white cheddar on the side. I didn't know they make a good tasting sausage from chicken. I microwaved the roll before I put the sausage in. I like it better than just slapping a sausage in a cold stiff roll.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #376 on: November 03, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »

...Any of those ring a bell? ...

Thanks for all the research...but it's been a bit over 50 years and it might have faded. 

I'll have to do it the the hard way and take your list and try them all.  Oh well, another cross to bear.   ;) ;)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2018, 01:43:30 AM »
2 smoked turkey breast and American cheese sandwiches on 100% whole wheat flatbread. And sweet southern heat BBQ kettle chips. I forgot mayo and will get that now for my 1.5 sandwiches.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
Me and the littlest granddaughter had pancakes with butter and syrup. She had maple and I chose to have cane syrup from a local maker.
I remember as a child that cane syrup was all my grandmother ever ate with biscuits and sausage. I never cared for the cane syrup because it has such a strong flavor (less mellow than maple), but I guess tastes change as we age.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »
When I was a kid one of my neighbors ate his biscuits with sorghum molasses. And I know a guy who puts Karo corn syrup on his pancakes. He also eats cornbread with buttermilk on it. Both guys are from the south.

I have a couple of bites left of a Lemon Sesame & Ginger Tuna with mayo on whole wheat sandwich. In a few minutes I'll nuke a bowl of Sweet Corn and Roasted Poblano soup.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk