Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 185413 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »
I had Belgian waffles that I forgot I bought and put in the freezer.

I'll have salad later because I have 2 1/2 heads of lettuce to eat up.

In the 1920s and 1930s produce farmer Bruce Church grew and sold a plot of lettuce. He later formed an ice company to start shipping fresh heads of lettuce across the country in ice-packed rail cars. People started calling the produce aboard the ice trains "iceberg lettuce" and the name stuck. Before that it was called crisphead lettuce.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »
Bacon!   Bought a new cast iron skillet, so i have been curring it the right way.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
Bacon!   Bought a new cast iron skillet, so i have been curring it the right way.

If it was pre-seasoned then you are good to go.

Can't go wrong with bacon any day of the week..... we had some Saturday with cathead biscuits.

Side note on cast iron:
Only one true way to season a cast iron piece properly so that it becomes non-stick.
You have to coat it in a very thin coating of oil and do a high heat trip through the oven (above the smoke pint of the oil) which burns off the volatiles and leaves a carbonized coating that can't be washed off.

Works with aluminum and stainless cook surfaces also.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #733 on: April 06, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »
It was, but i was not impressed with it.  So i rubbed it with crisco and popped  it in the oven.  10x better but still not to my liking.  So everyday a couple of strips of bacon a good wipe and back in the oven.   A couple more days and it will be non stick like its supposed to be.  Lodge makes decent pans. Not as good as the old ones, but i cant exactly go thrift store hunyung to find a good 12" pan.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

« Reply #734 on: April 06, 2020, 09:09:04 PM »
I have about 10-15 years on a Lodge skillet.

It works...I can fry a perfect egg with nothing but budda!

One of many!

Sponsor

« Reply #735 on: Today at 09:34:29 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #735 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Another note on cast iron: Don't ever, ever, EVER, let anyone run it through the dishwasher. My ex did that with my 10 1/2 inch skillet and left big bald patches on it and it started to rust all over. I've never used a drop of soap on any of my cast iron except to get it ready to season the first time, or in that case the second time, after I sanded it down. It was perfectly seasoned before that, but I had to start all over.

It was "pre-seasoned" when I bought it but I had it solid black. I bought peanut oil especially for seasoning my set of skillets because it has a higher smoke point than most other vegetable oils. I found a bunch of skillets just like mine on eBay where I got these pics. I like the thumbrest on the handle. The Wagner company got bought out again but they still make the 3-piece set like mine. The smallest skillet isn't good for much so I let the ex take it. The other 2 are worth fighting over but we didn't, and I have sole custody of them.

http://www.wagnerware.com/ProductDetail.asp?Filter=PL&PLine=4&Prod=136&PSub=26

I usually don't add any oil when I fry meat unless it's very lean. I heat the pan until it starts to smoke, season and sear the meat on both sides, turn down the heat and cook it until it looks and feels about right. I put hot water in the pan and let it soak while I'm eating. By the time I'm done, anything that stuck to the pan usually wipes off with a Scotch-Brite pad without actually scrubbing. And no detergent ever.

I almost forgot to mention, I had 2 slices of bread, each with a slice of pepper jack cheese and 1 1/2 links of breakfast sausage on it. I microwaved them one at a time for a minute, and the cheese was mostly soaked into the pores of the bread. I didn't have any eggs to put on my breakfast sandwiches.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #736 on: April 07, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
It was, but i was not impressed with it.  So i rubbed it with crisco and popped  it in the oven.  10x better but still not to my liking.  So everyday a couple of strips of bacon a good wipe and back in the oven.   A couple more days and it will be non stick like its supposed to be.  Lodge makes decent pans. Not as good as the old ones, but i cant exactly go thrift store hunyung to find a good 12" pan.

Well done!

When I buy a new one, seasoned or not (it doesn't matter to me), it gets scrubbed hard in hot water with detergent and ScotchBrite (only because I have a hard time finding ChoreGirl any more).  Then it is in a 500 F oven for half an hour, wiped on all sides with Crisco, back in the oven for an hour, then a second wiping with reserved bacon drippings or lard (I prefer lard, because I never have enough bacon drippings for cooking), and in the oven again for an hour.

Once seasoned, I seldom do any scrubbing on the iron.  Wipe out with dishcloth, rinse, and dry by heating on the burner.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
If you have properly seasoned cast iron, using soap to clean it will NOT hurt the seasoning.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Timothy

« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
If you have properly seasoned cast iron, using soap to clean it will NOT hurt the seasoning.
Agreed...  mild detergent will not hurt the carbon unless you get real aggressive.  I avoid metal tools and only use wood or plastic.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #739 on: April 07, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
I have cast iron skillets that belonged to my great-grandma and I've been cooking on one of them since I was 8 years old and I've never had to re-season it and nothing sticks and it gets washed with Dawn after every use. If the seasoning is done right the first time, it will last. The secret is the temperature that you use to season. It has to be heated up past the smoke point of whatever oil you use and preferably heated until it stops smoking.

A fellow named Glen Carman who is a mutual friend of Majers and mine has a cooking forum as well as a facebook page dedicated to cast iron and chuck wagon cooking. He's been doing this stuff longer than I have and has written multiple documents on the history and uses as well as many how-to docs for stuff like sour dough bread, quick breads and so on. He's been giving demos at state parks and schools for many years on the subject of cast iron cooking.

This is one of his documents that I copied and pasted (he gives permission to use it for anyone) on care and seasoning of cast iron. It has a lot of good info, including the smoking points of most popular oils.

Cleaning, Seasoning and Care of Cast Iron Cookware

I will start with what is known as seasoning, perhaps one of the most misunderstood parts of cast iron cookware, this is the place where most fail, lack of a proper seasoning is where the majority of problems people have with cast iron come from. A true seasoning on our cookware is a thin layer of carbonized/polymerized eatable oils/fats that have had all the volatile substances burned off, leaving only the carbon behind and forming long chain molecules. If that sounds complicated, it?s not, it is easy to do and I will come back to that simple process in a bit, but first we need to have our cookware prepped to accept the seasoning.

Preparing Cast Iron for Seasoning

Our cookware we need to get ready to use can be newly made or it can be new to us, but used by someone else in the past, or even something we have owned for a while, but are not happy with how it works due to being poorly seasoned.

Most of the new cast iron sold today is what is called pre-seasoned, it is the easiest to work with, wash it with soap and water, dry it, add some oil, get the oil hot, add a couple eggs and then fry them, if it works fine, it is good to go, it is now ready for cleaning and care, if not, the factory did not get it seasoned well, but I?ll tell you how to fix that in a bit, start a pile for cast iron needing seasoned.

I will note before going further that when you get cast iron clean and down to the bare metal and dried, you will sometimes have a bit of red powdery rust on the surface, that is fine, no harm, no foul, the seasoning process will take care of it.

New but not pre-seasoned will have some sort of oil or wax to prevent it from rusting, often these can be removed with just soap, hot water and a good scrub pad, rinse well and dry it over the stove burner to remove all the moisture, look to see if it has that nice grey color of bare iron, you may have a fine layer of red oxide known as rust, but that is no problem, set the piece aside in the pile of needing seasoned and we?ll get to it after we get our used pieces ready.

Used cast iron often causes the most controversy as to how to get it ready for use, many say if the piece looks good and is well seasoned just use it, I don?t, I prefer to strip it and re-season it, others may not, it?s just what I prefer. As for the method used, it?s like the old saying, ?and that is when the fight began.? There are several methods; all will work if they are used properly, they all can cause trouble if used improperly, and the methods I know of can be heat, chemical, mechanical, electrolysis or even a combination of all of them. Before using any of these methods, like new pieces, I like to wash the piece with hot soap, water and the scrub pad to remove all the oils.

To me, the easiest is heat, although when it is discussed it seems to be the most controversial method with many saying you will ruin the piece, well you can, over heat it and/or heat it very unevenly and you can warp it, you can crack it or form an oxide layer often called red scale that makes it hard to season.(the red scale can be removed by mechanical methods because it?s just on the surface, hand sand with 120 -150 grit sandpaper till clean and shiny and don?t do it again.) Use heat in a sensible manner and there is no problem, but I will add this disclaimer I would hesitate using it on a really old valuable piece, if you do over heat it and warp or crack it, then that piece is lost forever because they are no longer made, practice on lesser pieces.

As for cleaning it with heat, I most often just take the piece or pieces with me to one of my camps and in the evening when the cooking is done (and before it gets dark, the time people want to sit around the fire) I just let the fire burn down to low coals spread out evenly and place the piece or pieces on top of the coals and let the crud burn off, removing it when clean and before the piece gets that red glow to it. I then set the piece aside to cool then take it home and finish it most times.

Others use a self-cleaning oven, very simple and easy, it might smoke the house up some, I have used it in the past but no longer have that type of stove. Others use a outside gas grill and that keeps the smoke out of the house, no matter what the method of providing heat, the goal is to clean it only and by not turning it red hot or beyond and heating it evenly it has worked fine for me for a lot of years. After it has cooled, I put it in the sink (or if too big for the sink I use our bath tub) and use warm water and dish soap on it and scrub it up well removing all the burnt material with a stainless steel pot scrubber, then dry it on the stove and it is ready for our pile that needs seasoned.

Chemical methods most often involve either an alkaline substance or an acid substance to remove rust and built up layers, the alkaline substance most often being lye, (sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide solution) it is often used in drain cleaners and oven cleaners, and it is caustic so some care has to be used with it. One method often used is to simply buy spray on oven cleaner and to use it on the piece then put it in a garbage bag for several hours or even several days, rinse, scrub well with soap and water and see if all residue has been removed, if not, recoat and let is soak again.

The lye method involves adding 1 pound of lye to 5 gallons of water (make sure the lye is added to the water and not the water to the lye) and soaking the cast iron in this, the cast iron can stay in it a long period with out harm. One must remember lye is caustic and one must keep it from contacting the skin and is best done in an area where children and pets can?t come in contact with it.

Lye does a good job of removing the old build up, but is not that good for removing rust, many recommend neutralizing the lye with vinegar after cleaning, but rinsing well should remove all the lye, one can do this to make yourself feel good, if there is lye left, there will be a bit of bubbling when the vinegar is added from the Carbon dioxide being formed as the lye is neutralized.

When using the acid method one of three acids are used, one being acetic acid the acid found in vinegar, citric acid found in citric fruits as well as molasses and phosphoric acid, which is often used as metal prep for cleaning new metal before painting, but is also used in soda pop to give it that bite, Coca Cola having what is said to be the highest percent.

Vinegar can be used straight or diluted, and any type can be used, I use white vinegar because most times it?s cheaper and I use the cheap store brand. Most vinegar is about 5% acidity no matter the brand. The method recommended by many for a vinegar bath is a non-metal container big enough for the piece or pieces and fill it with ? vinegar/1/2 water and submerge the piece in and let it soak for a few hours, remove from the bath, scrub as before and resoak if needed. I myself just use our bath tub since we also have a shower, it is not unusual to have cast iron being cleaned in my tub and it works great.

The citric acid method seems to most often use molasses as a cheap source of this acid, the recommended amount being 1 part molasses to 9 parts water, this method is said to take 2-4 weeks by those who use it and the animal supplement type found at farm stores is the cheapest. I myself have never tried this, but I?m relating it because some seem to like the method, to me it?s too slow.

The phosphoric acid is perhaps best used as Coca-Cola I have used this in the past as a cleaner for small steel and iron parts, having also used the higher strength metal prep in the past; I don?t recommend it metal prep for home use. The Coca-Cola works well to remove rust but making a vinegar bath although perhaps slower, is cheaper than the Coca-Cola by far.

Mechanical can be as simple as a good scrub pad, sand paper, steel wool or other similar items, or it can involve using compressed air to force an abrasive material under pressure, this is called blasting, the abrasive can bee sand, steel shot, ground corn cobs or walnut shell or baking soda. The baking soda uses the finest grit and is what I recommend if having pieces blasted. The other can leave a very rough surface, depending on the coarseness of the grit, the pressure it?s blasted as well as the skill of the operator using the equipment. Soda blasting is used for a lot of delicate restoration work so it will be fine on cast iron although it will cost more than the do it yourself methods.

The electrolysis method uses an electrical currant to remove the rust, it is a process similar to plating with chrome or other metals, but the process is reversed. The iron from the rust is deposited on another iron rod rather than the metal from a rod being deposited on the piece as in plating; in fact this method is used in restoration work to remove plating before prepping and replating.

The rusty iron and the so called sacrificial rod are immersed in a solution of washing soda (Sodium carbonate) available at most any grocery store along with the laundry detergent at a ratio of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. The sacrificial rod and the cast iron piece are hung in a non-metallic container so they are fully immersed. A manual (not automatic) battery charger is hooked up with the negative (black) to the piece to be cleaned and the positive (red) to the sacrificial rod and the current turned on, the rust them flows to the sacrificial rod and the whole process only takes a few hours. A battery can be added to the circuit if the battery charger is not a manual one, the current to the tank needs to come from the battery and the battery charger keeps the battery from being drained. (As anytime working around water and electricity one needs to be very careful, the washing soda is what is called an electrolyte and makes the water more conductive to electricity.)

As before, clean the piece with soap, water and a scrub pad, dry with heat and examine to see if you have reached the bare iron. If it is done, also add it to our pile.

Seasoning Cast Iron

Once we have the piece cleaned and down to bare metal, we need to get it seasoned, this is where it gets confusing for many, despite much of the information out there today, seasoning is not just a coating of an oil that has been heated up for a specific time in an oven at a specific temperature, usually said to be 350F, this misconception causes by far the majority of the problems people have with cast iron cookware with both cooking with it and cleaning with it. So what is seasoning and how do we do it?

The proper seasoning of a cast iron cooking piece is where a thin coating of oil is carbonized in a process similar to making charcoal, the volatile parts of the oil burn off leaving a polymer carbon coating (long chain molecules) that form a fairly non-stick surface on the top of the bare metal, filling the minute pores as well. Different cooking oils and fats carbonize at different temperatures; the point at where they start this process is called the ?smoke point? because the volatile substances in the oils start to burn off creating the smoke. The carbonized oils left behind that coat the iron will not burn off till temperatures of 800 to 1000F are reached, beyond any normal cooking temperatures.

Today there are products on the market made and sold specifically for seasoning cast iron, I have never used any of these, and I have never had any problems seasoning cast iron with the different cooking oils and fats, many of those who have used them claim good results, but I have never had anything less than good results using normal cooking oils and fats, also if you think these products are some sort of magic, think again, they are mostly either soy bean/Canola oil for the liquid ones, or beeswax based for the solid ones with some soy or other oils added.

A quick check shows the liquid ones are about $7-$10 for 8 ounce, the solid is around $10 for 6 ? ounce unless you decide to buy it in the handy container that looks like stick deodorant and then it is $10 for slightly over 2 ? ounces. For comparison a bottle of soy bean oil in the liter size can be bought many times for around $1, I find this interesting because no matter what oil you use as we discussed above, you end up with carbon, also most instructions that come with these do not recommend heating high enough to fully burn off the volatile substances, this is not seasoning, but heated up oils.

The following is a list of some of the common cooking oils and fats listing the smoke point, (sources will show slightly different temps, it depends on the exact composition of the fat/oil which can vary slightly, and this is just a guide with averages). I really don?t have a favorite for actual seasoning, I normally use sunflower oil (cold pressed) because it is fairly cheap and I use it some in the kitchen, the bottle is easy to grab.

Safflower Oil -------- 510F/265C
Soybean Oil --------- 450F/230C
Peanut Oil ------------450F/230C
Corn Oil ---------------450F/230C
Sunflower Oil --------- 440F/225C
Beef Tallow ----------- 400F/205C
Canola Oil ------------- 400F/205C
Grapeseed Oil ---------- 390F/195C
Lard -------------------- 370F/185C
Vegetable Shortening ---- 360F/180
Coconut Oil --------------350F/175C
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil ------ 350F/175C

Although seasoning is not difficult, it is a step that many seem to have trouble with, one problem many have is when they are done, the piece is sticky and gummy feeling, this is a result of putting too much oil and fat on the surface before attempting to carbonize it as well as not getting the piece hot enough to carbonize the fats/oils. The other is the piece does not have a good non-stick surface, also a result of not getting the piece hot enough to carbonize the fats/oils fully.

Let?s address the using to much oils and fats first, I prefer cooking oils which are liquid at room temperature for seasoning, just because they are easier to work with on cold cast iron, I take a rag with the oil on it and I wipe and coat the surface to be seasoned with the oil, I then take a clean dry rag (paper towel will work) and I wipe as much of the oil back off as I can, just leaving a thin film. With a fat that is solid at room temperature it is best to heat the piece up above the melting point of the fat and wipe as much back off as you can just like the oil, one just has to be careful not to burn yourself in the process. The secret to seasoning is to not get more than a very thin film on it; any extra will just make a gummy surface. I have often seen it recommended turning the piece up-side down and putting a cookie sheet under the piece to catch any drips, but if you have enough that it will drip, you have too much on the surface already, it is better to remove all you can with the dry rag, it?s ok to do it up-side down, but if it?s on right it won?t drip.

So now we are ready to heat the piece up and carbonize the oils/fats, so how high do we heat it? Well if one wants to make it a bit scientific, then look at the smoke point of the oil/fat you are using and go a little higher than the smoke point, many sources today say 350F for seasoning which is barely the smoke point of the lowest oils and who is to say 350F on the dial is 350F inside, instructions often say to recoat it and heat it several times to build it up, done right it?s not needed.

I have found that no matter what oil/fat I am using, I put the piece in the oven, turn the thermostat to the last notch before the broiler kicks in and let it run a ? hour or so or when it quits smoking. On my oven control it says 550F and my thermometer says it?s about 530F, I am not sure which is right, but when the piece cools I give it a thin coat of oil and it is ready to use. If you use the high temperature and really carbonize the oils, there is no need to repeat several more times; all you do is risk building up a heavy thickness that can even be prone to flaking off.

Our properly seasoned oven is now ready to use, forget these warnings about not using metal utensils in it, ?you?ll scrape off the seasoning? if it does you didn?t season it right.

Cleaning Seasoned Cast Iron

Once the cast iron is seasoned and is used to cook with, we come to having to properly clean it after use, this is another place where the methods differ between people, I have seen long internet discussions on this that have almost turned hostile, most seem to think the seasoning on cast iron is delicate, which as we discussed above, it is not if done properly.

I will state right now those words that cause all kinds of problems in discussions on cleaning cast iron, ?I am not afraid to use dish soap in my cast iron? in fact if something really greasy has been cooked in it like a pork roast, I will use it to help get rid of the excess grease which can turn rancid. I also am not afraid to use scrubbing pads such as the green and brown 3M type or even stainless steel ones. What are not hard to remove are any oils that are on the surface of the seasoning, these may have been put on to preserve the piece from rust or it may be left over from cooking. I often cook large meals that use 10-12 dutch ovens and most times I am doing everything on my own, it just makes things easier and quicker and since there is truly no harm in doing it, why make things more difficult than it needs to be?

Many times I have been told to not use soap because the pores in the cast iron will soak up the soap and anything cooked in it will have soap in it. Well the surface of the cast iron has some microscopic pores in it, true, although the carbonized oils do fill them, but what is more important is if these pores are not fully filled with the seasoning any soap that goes in is so minute as to not be noticed, plus it will rinse out just fine, the cast iron is not as porous as many think.

Another item to use for those really tough to clean messes is washing soda (Sodium carbonate which is not the same as baking soda or Sodium Bicarbonate) available in the same area as laundry detergent in most stores. This is not soap, but it does soften the water so it cleans better than plain water, a lot of the water in wells where I cook is very hard and this just helps my dish soap work better.

One item often said to be bad on cast iron is the dish washer, I do not having one of these devices so I can say I have never tried one with cast iron, but rather than the dish washer itself being the problem, my thoughts are it?s the piece sitting wet in that damp environment that causes the problem, wash a cast iron piece with any method using water and let it slowly dry in a damp environment and you will get rusting, not anything you can?t fix, but it will rust.

Care of Cast Iron

Once the cast iron is clean no matter what method you use, it needs thoroughly dried, it can be dried with a towel if desired, but it still should be heated up to drive any moisture out, then a light coat of oil put on to prevent rust. At home a stove burner can be used, in camp the fire, it just needs heated up enough to remove any trace of the water, often on hot days I save time and trouble by leaving the lids off with the oven in the sun, at 90 F or more they get too hot to touch in a short time and are dry very quickly.

After the piece is heated, it needs wiped with a very thin coat of oil, most do it while still warm, this makes the oil flow a little better and reach every corner. Just like seasoning this coat should be very thin, and if possible, a non-drying oil is best. Which bring us to another term that need explained.
Oils are classed as non-drying, semi-drying and drying, in other words some oils will oxidize to the point they will form a dry film, in other words, add pigments and you have oil paints, not really something we want on out cast iron cook-war, most, (but not all) cooking oils are semi-drying or non-drying. Semi-drying oils often have driers added to make them drying oils as well as drying oils having them added to cause faster drying. Where to class the oils is determined by an analytical process that determines how much iodine a specific amount of the oil will absorb, no need to get any deeper here, but for our use all we need to know is this is called Iodine Value and number of the iodine value determines where it is classed.

Iodine values of oils over 130 are considered drying oils and a couple common ones are:
Tung Oil at around 165-175
Linseed/flax seed oil at 135-180

These are true drying oils in their natural state, although Tung oil is not used in cooking, linseed oil is, but under its other name, Flax Seed Oil, when bought as linseed oil or boiled linseed oil it is not intended for human consumption, the boiled has additional products added to speed up drying. Other common oils ride the line on if they are drying oils or semi-drying oils, depending on the particular lot of oil, a value of 115 to 130 are considered semi-drying oils, these can include:

Sunflower at 125-145
Grape seed at 125-145
Walnut at 120-140
Soy Bean at 120-135
Wheat Germ Oil at 115-135
Canola Oil at 110-130
Corn Oil at 110-130

Non-drying oils are ones with an iodine value below 115:
Cotton Seed at 100-115
Rice Bran Oil at 100-110
Olive Oil at 80-90
Lard at 60-70
Beef Tallow at 50-60
Palm Oil at 45-60
Palm Kernel Oil at 15-20
Coconut Oil at 5-15

(Values are based on several sources and averaged.)

(Palm Oil and Palm Kernel Oil are different oils from different palms)

Non-drying oils are the best for wiping, because they won?t get gummy if it is put on a little thick and don?t risk getting rancid like others.

I have always preferred olive oil for wiping a piece that will be stored over a couple of weeks, just a thin layer put on with a rag works well, for short term I often use lard, this is one pieces that get used often, my most used kitchen pieces and my camp ovens when cleaning up to go home from a trip. Then for storage I clean them up and use olive oil on them.

I see mineral oil recommended at times for both seasoning and preserving cast iron; on the plus side it rates a 0 on the Iodine Value so it has no chance of getting gummy. But to me the down side is it?s a refined petroleum distillate and although there is a food grade mineral oil, it is intended more as a lubricant for food processing machinery, its use in food products is very restricted by law. One of the medical uses of mineral oil is a laxative and there are many cautions on its uses in that field, I just prefer to stay away from it, although some who use it swear by it.

When it is all said and done, just about any food grade oil will work for preserving our cast iron after cleaning, but we can see the true non-drying oils are more forgiving when you get it on a little thick and animal fats and the semi-drying oils do run a risk of turning rancid, to me it just makes sense to stick with a vegetable oil that always falls under the non-drying oil status. Of these for me at least the olive oil gets the go, it is easy to find at almost any grocery store, it is something I generally keep in the groceries because it is correct to the 19th Century and has some uses for me in cooking. To vary from this requires I buy another item and in camp it means I have an extra item I have to take to camp; I just prefer to keep things as simple as possible.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk