Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 183903 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #780 on: May 10, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »
Just got back from the daughter's house.  Her hubby left this at 0400 today for Florida - 18 hour drive at a fast pace, and they are currently on pace for about 16 hours.  she flies down tomorrow.  The reason he drove, along with a friend who also has a home down there, is that if you fly you can't golf at the country club for 14 days.

Back to the meal, she made her mother almond flour and almond crust chicken thigh, pecan and bacon brussels sprouts, and corn, and chocolate chip sugar cookies for desert.  Damn! Someone taught that kid how to cook!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #781 on: May 11, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
My younger son and I smoked 150 chicken quarters and 125 3/4" thick pork chops Saturday far a close friend's family get-together.
We used our Young Farmers chapter's big Southern Pride Rotisserie smoker that has fifteen racks. It made the task a breeze.   8)

Wife and d-i-l made the sides: tater salad, baked beans, green beans, and mac-n-cheese.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #782 on: May 11, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
Wow dude, I just stuck with weed and tobacco.
You might want to get some help.    ;D

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #783 on: May 11, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »
Wow dude, I just stuck with weed and tobacco.
You might want to get some help.    ;D

Yeah, animal fat is rough on the thin papers....but it does burn much faster.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
Younger son cooked us a ribeye and tater on his Pit Boss grill. He went ahead and got 'em from our local meat market before prices went up five more bucks per pound tomorrow....IF they can get any in stock, that is.
Oh well, freezers are full of venison.

Sho was good, though.

Sponsor

« Reply #785 on: Today at 01:41:27 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #785 on: May 14, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
Younger son cooked us a ribeye and tater on his Pit Boss grill. He went ahead and got 'em from our local meat market before prices went up five more bucks per pound tomorrow....IF they can get any in stock, that is.
Oh well, freezers are full of venison.

Sho was good, though.

A little inside information:

SJ_LS710
St Joseph, MO    Wed May 13, 2020     USDA Market News
Estimated Daily Livestock Slaughter under Federal Inspection

CATTLE   CALVES        HOGS     SHEEP
Wednesday 05/13/2020(est)        91,000    1,000     373,000     7,000
Week ago (est)                           82,000    1,000     312,000     7,000
Year ago (act)                           122,000    2,000     457,000     8,000
Week to date (est)                     266,000    5,000   1,091,000    22,000
Same Period Last Week (est)      237,000    5,000     885,000    21,000
Same Period Last Year (act)        363,000    6,000   1,370,000    25,000
Previous Day Estimated       Steer and Heifer  Cow and Bull
                 Tuesday        65,000               24,000

Things are improving, but we are still about 25% down from a year ago.  When you look at kill numbers, it takes 36 to 48 hours to get the animal through the line for hogs, and it takes about another 12 to 24 beyond that for cattle.

Pricing???  Our buyers are going strictly Hand to Mouth.  The market is very high and very volatile.  We are seeing some price drops in beef due to the negative media and sympathy for farmers and ranchers.  However, the packers are still losing money over all.  We are seeing some pull back from our customers due to price, but they still seem to have large demand.  Some of that is because more and more are buying 100% from us, because their other suppliers can't get it.

Our facility is emptying fast.  We have a 40,000 ft2 freezer that was down to 500 pallet positions (22 loads) on Sunday.  On a good day, that could all be gone!  Our main facility freezer is a little less, and our fresh coolers don't have much more than a single day's supply.

We ship about a million pounds per day.  We did 1.6 on last Friday.  Today we will receive in about 1.2, but this is our first receiving day over a million in almost a week.  The outside carriers we book to help bring in and take out are so slow we are getting emails and phone calls all day looking for loads.

Bottom line:  Buy what you need or want when you can find and afford it.  Eat what is in your freezer.  Sharpen up on your marksmanship for squirrel, deer, etc.  If you are rural and know a feeder, buy a critter and pretend you just dropped it with your good old 30-30.

We are Chicago, and the info above is for our Chicago location
https://amigosmeat.com/
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #786 on: May 14, 2020, 12:37:31 PM »
We have our own few head of cattle on the hoof and our own processing equipment....and our neighbor is a cattle rancher.....and if times get really hard, we have one old 'democrat' that keeps the coyotes and cats off the cows....meat might be tough, but it'll stave off starvation for a little while.  ;D ;D

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #787 on: May 15, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
Had some chips & salsa and enchiladas w/rice for supper.

First time since early March we went to a local dine-in restaurant. It was a new Mexican joint that had the misfortune of having their grand opening the weekend before the hysterical covid clamp-down. They were able to do some take-out business during the hoopla, but last week they were finally able to get back to limited dine-in serving. They have a big parking lot, so they improvised and put up six 10x10 pop-up tents with a table under each one for outside dining (also have three tables under the attached awning.

It wasn't the worst, but wasn't the best either..... I chalk it up to new restaurant growing pains and a very young staff. I'll give it a few months and try them again.

tombogan03884

« Reply #788 on: May 15, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
I went to the store yesterday wasn't buying meat, but checked. Prices on beef seemed normal, about half what they went to last month. Chicken was on sale but pork seemed high.
Just because I noticed gas was $1.85   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #789 on: May 16, 2020, 11:37:31 AM »
The very last of the elk sausage.  I thought i ised it up a couple months back, but i found 2 frozen patties.

I can not wait to get the barn built so i can have a proper freezer.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk