Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 180644 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #820 on: June 13, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »
It is like many foods.  We all have likes and dislikes.  I will eat raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and sweet potatoes, but if you cook them I am out of here.  Personal taste.  Someone tried to slip mashed cauliflower past me in place of mashed potatoes.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #821 on: June 13, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »
Majer, So it's like vegetable sausage ?   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #822 on: June 13, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Tonight is going to be a challenge.  For just at 41 years this month, we have enjoyed pizza every (we have missed very few) Saturday night.  Since we go married 40 1/2 years ago, it has been homemade.

Last week my bride was diagnosed with Insulin Resistant Diabetes.  Pizza is a no no as of this past Tuesday. 

Over the past year we have had a couple of dishes that used cauliflower in place of potatoes and crusts - AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!  I've been too busy at work to look for alternatives, so this may be a pizza free night  :'(

Mike,
Check out "fathead dough" ... it's an ultra-low carb/no sugars dough and can be made in the oven or microwave. I have a friend with diabetes and he uses it to make everything from burger buns to pizza dough.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #823 on: June 13, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
Mike,
Check out "fathead dough" ... it's an ultra-low carb/no sugars dough and can be made in the oven or microwave. I have a friend with diabetes and he uses it to make everything from burger buns to pizza dough.

Thanks!  I'll check it out.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #824 on: June 16, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »
I just ate about 1/2 pound of teriyaki marinated pork loin. No condiments or side dishes, just Famous Dave's Signature Spicy Pickles. I was planning on cooking the pork loin a few days earlier and don't know if I got around to cooking it before it spoiled. I guess I'll find out when I get up for the day, or maybe sooner. I cooked a peppercorn seasoned pork loin at the same time.

I have some Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes in the cupboard that I can't cook because I don't have any milk. I haven't gone grocery shopping in over 3 weeks. I have some RightRice I'll cook tomorrow. It kind of looks like rice and kind of cooks like rice but it's made of lentil, chickpea, pea, and rice flour. It's supposed to be good for you. I think I'll cook the Thai curry flavor Wednesday and the Spanish rice flavor after that.

https://www.rightrice.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #825 on: Today at 06:43:46 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #825 on: June 19, 2020, 02:59:25 AM »
2 slices of pork loin and some rice that's 90% vegetables. That RightRice has quite a bit of protein and fiber, unlike white rice which is practically all carbohydrates. Too bad the grains are so small and it doesn't have the same texture as white rice.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #826 on: June 20, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
Friday night:  Left over grilled pork loin.

What else do you eat right after making an emergency run to a distribution center 160 miles away with 41,550# of boneless center cut loins?

This morning:  See last Saturday's post!  These weekly meals are nothing but pure enjoyment, and an investment in my bride's future ... I think that is why she put my life insurance on auto pay.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #827 on: June 20, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »
Mike, I've pretty much ignored the fear mongering on running out of meat because of slaughter/packing plant issues.  How goes it for real?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #828 on: June 20, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »
Things did get tight at the height of the issues.  However, things are moving fairly freely now.  You can't find everything, because most plants used elimination of boning stations to adapt to smaller work force and "social distance".  At the height of things, when fresh ran out, the freezers got hit hard.  Before you really noticed a shortage the fresh was coming back on line, but the freezers are empty.

Right now, we are purchasing meat for half, and even less, than just three weeks ago.  The meat is flowing, and the plants can't move it fast enough, so people like us are buying.  What we can't sell in a few weeks, we are going to freeze and pull out when prices go up again.

As far as on the hoof, there are a lot of animals that have been growing that are waiting their turn to go to market.  The man I worked for as a fill in between careers just put over 500 head of over weight pigs out on corn stalk stubble to make room for the next batch coming in.  He has filled every old barn in the neighborhood.  He was, is, 100% Smithfield in Sioux  Falls for his market.  350 head per week, and he shipped nothing for five weeks - Do the math!

tombogan03884

« Reply #829 on: June 20, 2020, 06:55:08 PM »
That's where "Just in Time " manufacturing principles bite you on the ass.
One link breaks and the whole chain is in the crap.
It saves on storage expense and stabilizes through put of product, but all the parts have to work, or NONE of them will.
Although your end may be living on Pork chops and bacon for the rest of your life   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk