Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 180636 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #1040 on: November 17, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »
I just ate 6 slices of Authentic Motor City Pizza Co. Five Cheese Bread. It tasted really good. I baked it right after I pulled an Authentic Motor City Pizza Co. Supreme Pizza out of the oven yesterday. The pizza was good but the cheese bread was even better. I'll be buying it again. I didn't have any sauce to dip it in either. I had enough leftover sauce in the fridge, but when I opened the jar I heard the air pressure whoosh out. I already knew it was bad but looked at it to see the mold anyway. I had a glass of absinthe for an aperitif while the oven heated up. I took a picture to show the ouzo effect. As I dripped the ice water into it I kept thinking, when is it going to change? Then when it was about half water and half absinthe it suddenly got cloudy. I didn't have any sugar cubes to drip the ice water onto as it fell into the glass, so I put a packet of stevia in the absinthe and swirled it around to dissolve it first. The 138 proof is bitter but that was still two times too sweet. I used 1/2 of a 100ml bottle of 138 proof absinthe with 1/2 of a 500ml bottle of water, 50:250 or 1:5. I think that's only 23 proof, but it tasted a lot stronger than that. I didn't taste much else but sweetness and a lot of licorice. I only sipped at it until it was gone.

The ouzo effect (also louche effect and spontaneous emulsification) is a milky (louche) oil-in-water emulsion that is formed when water is added to ouzo and other anise-flavored liqueurs and spirits, such as pastis, rakı, arak, sambuca and absinthe. Such emulsions occur with only minimal mixing and are highly stable. [The ouzo effect occurs when a strongly hydrophobic essential oil such as trans-anethole is dissolved in a water-miscible solvent, such as ethanol, and the concentration of ethanol is lowered by addition of small amounts of water. Oil-in-water emulsions are not normally stable. Oil droplets coalesce until complete phase separation is achieved at macroscopic levels. Addition of a small amount of surfactant or the application of high shear rates (strong stirring) can stabilize the oil droplets. In a water-rich ouzo mixture the droplet coalescence is dramatically slowed without mechanical agitation, dispersing agents, or surfactants. It forms a stable homogeneous fluid dispersion by liquid–liquid nucleation. The size of the droplets has been measured by small-angle neutron scattering to be on the order of a micron. Using dynamic light scattering, Sitnikova et al. showed that the droplets of oil in the emulsion grow by Ostwald ripening, and that droplets do not coalesce. The Ostwald ripening rate is observed to diminish with increasing ethanol concentrations until the droplets stabilize in size with an average diameter of 3microns. Based on thermodynamic considerations of the multi-component mixture, the emulsion derives its stability from trapping between the binodal and spinodal curves in the phase diagram. However, the microscopic mechanisms responsible for the observed slowing of Ostwald ripening rates at increasing ethanol concentrations appear not fully understood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo_effect

I drank my last Joia sparkling Greyhounds with my Five Cheese Bread. The Greyhounds were made of grapefruit juice and vodka, instead of gin. Before that I finished my Malibu Pineapple By Breezes, and Cazadores Margaritas. I drank more than usual the last 14 hours or so, but not enough water or other non-alcoholic beverages. I'm still thirsty and just finished my third glass of iced green tea with lemon since I started typing. Time to switch to water and go to bed. Rite Aid called and has some of my meds I've been without a few days, but my feet are tired and I'd rather lie down than take a hike. If I get up before the store closes I can go later. 'Night y'all.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: December 03, 2022, 06:59:10 AM »
I just finished a bowl of Asiago mac and cheese with several thin slices of Italian dry salami. Now I'm getting ready for bed at 8 am.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: December 04, 2022, 02:23:29 AM »
Creole chicken and okra jambalaya with chicken andouille sausage and brown rice. It's been way too long since I had any jambalaya. It's the first time I had andouille sausage made of chicken instead of pork. It was good, but if I made it, I would have used real pork andouille.

JeremyScott

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1043 on: December 08, 2022, 04:09:26 AM »
Today I cooked air fryer pork chops for the first time in my life. In less than 30 minutes, I got the crispiest, juiciest, and full of amazing flavor pork chops. The recipe doesn't require fancy sauces, ingredients, or heavy breading. Bone-in pork chops and freshly grated parmesan are the main ingredients to obtain shine and delicious meat. In addition, two tablespoons of olive oil only are needed in comparison with traditional frying. All in all, a multifunctional air fryer is the main tool for obtaining delicious pork chops.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #1044 on: December 08, 2022, 07:44:30 AM »
How were the chops air fried?  Were they browned or blackened any?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #1045 on: Today at 06:09:40 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: December 20, 2022, 08:09:16 AM »
Today I cooked air fryer pork chops for the first time in my life. In less than 30 minutes, I got the crispiest, juiciest, and full of amazing flavor pork chops. The recipe doesn't require fancy sauces, ingredients, or heavy breading. Bone-in pork chops and freshly grated parmesan are the main ingredients to obtain shine and delicious meat. In addition, two tablespoons of olive oil only are needed in comparison with traditional frying. All in all, a multifunctional air fryer is the main tool for obtaining delicious pork chops.

One of my brothers has an air fryer and it sounds like I need one too. I love fried foods, but not grease. I want to try Hidden Valley Original Ranch Pork Chops. 92.7% would recommend. The ingredients are really simple:

6 pork loin rib chops, about 1-inch thick
1 tablespoon Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning & Salad Dressing Mix Shaker
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

And you can grill them, fry them, or cook them in an air fryer.

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/recipe/original-ranch-pork-chops/

I talked to a guy last week who bought a Char-Broil The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer in a pawn shop and used it to cook his Thanksgiving turkey. He said it was 10 TIMES BETTER THAN FRIED TURKEY! He's a Texan who should know a little about cooking outdoors. When he said the name was The Big Easy, I asked him, like Nawlins? I still don't know why New Orleans is known as "The Big Easy", but if you have handfuls of worthless beads during Mardi Gras, it's easy to see lots of titties. ;D 62 days, 15 hours, 50 minutes and 43 seconds to go.

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer-17102065

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: December 20, 2022, 10:09:39 AM »
Louisiana-style shredded chicken thighs with maque choux & chicken Andouille rice.

And I just finished a glass of absinthe. I used 50% more absinthe, 50% less stevia sweetener, and a little less water this time than the first time. It tasted MUCH better, but too weak. At least it wasn't sickeningly sweet this time. I have both my water bottles half full of ice in the fridge and I'll be making my last drink momentarily. I'll use less water and try filling the glass halfway which will be roughly 69 proof. Once I see the louche effect occur it should be watered down enough. I think it looks whiter this time from the extra absinthe in the water. But it looked even whiter as I added more water and stirred it, which seems contradictory. After I drink the next one I won't worry about it.

Maque choux is a a traditional Louisiana recipe of corn, green bell peppers, and onions, sautéed in bacon grease (because bacon grease makes everything taste better) until softened, and spiced with a blend of Cajun seasonings. It can be served as a side dish, or act as a base for a main meal, and use local ingredients such as bite-sized portions of chicken or crawfish. Shrimp is often added in the later stages of cooking as well. And to some people, even if you spell it crayfish, it's pronounced crawfish. But any Cajun can will tell you they're called mudbugs.

They do some things a little differently in the kitchen there. In French cooking they have mirepoix, a flavor base made from diced vegetables cooked, usually with butter or oil, for a long time on low heat to sweeten the ingredients rather than caramelize them. The vegetable mixture is onions, carrots, and celery, with the traditional ratio being two parts onion, one part carrot, and one part celery. That combination is used lots of places, as a recipe base, or the mixture is used as a stock base, but the Cajun/Louisiana Creole "holy trinity" is onions, bell peppers and celery. Etouffée, gumbo, and jambalaya all start off with the holy trinity.

The only thing I miss about Louisiana is muffuletta sandwiches and I think I only had one, once. And that was probably only a half since the sell quarters and halves at Johnny’s Pizza House. I think that's the right place. It was called Johnny's Pizza and this is a whole chain of pizza places. I think that's the pizza place that had big shakers or red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese on the tables, too. They describe the muffuletta as, "A hot buttery sesame seed bun with ham, spicy salami, melted provolone cheese, olive mix and mustard. Also includes chips!" I think the bun had garlic butter on it when they toasted it. It was really good either way. The traditional-style muffuletta sandwich from a century ago consists of a muffuletta loaf split horizontally and covered with layers of marinated olive salad, salami, ham, Swiss cheese, provolone, and mortadella. Quarter, half, and full-sized muffulettas are sold. I've seen places online selling olive salad for making muffulettas, and I bought mortadella at an Italian deli here before, so I could put that on one if I find the right kind of bread.

https://www.johnnysph.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #1047 on: December 20, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Where the muffuletta started.

https://centralgrocery.com/
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: December 21, 2022, 01:43:56 AM »
Where the muffuletta started.

https://centralgrocery.com/

The Wikipedia link about muffuletta mentions Central Grocery. "The muffuletta sandwich is said to have been created in 1906 at Central Grocery Co. on Decatur Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S., by its delicatessen owner Salvatore Lupo, a Sicilian immigrant." They've partnered with their friends at Goldbelly.com to ship muffulettas nationwide. But the cost! OMG! Original Muffuletta Sandwich - 2-Pack (Serves 6-8) $119.95,  Original Muffuletta Sandwich - 3 pack (Serves 10-12 )$159.95, Original Muffuletta Sandwich - 4 pack (Serves 14-16) $189.95, Original Muffuletta Sandwich - 5 pack (Serves 16-20) $219.95, but at least you get free shipping. :) And that's still less than the price of a plabe ticket from  Flint to New Orleans.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: December 21, 2022, 01:57:37 AM »
I finally got around to making my last absinthe and used 4 parts water to 3 parts of the good stuff. At 139 proof bottled, that would be about 59 proof. That was the best of the 3 drinks I made so far and didn't taste as strong as the first one, which was 1/3 as strong or whatever, I can't do the math right now. Half a glassful made me feel like I've been drinking all night. Bashing my head into a duct in the basement may have contributed to that feeling too. :) Judging by the size of the goose egg on top of my head, dain bramage is a real possibility. :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk