Author Topic: Summer!  (Read 11305 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: Summer!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
We have a heat advisory in effect from 10:00 am today until midnight. I used the A/C in the bedroom for all but a little bit in the morning, and ran the downstairs one constantly. The thermostat said it was only 71 degrees when I got up, but it felt higher than that. It was 72 degrees within seconds of turning the lights on, and is now 74 in the coldest room downstairs. If I sit near the thermometer it goes up pretty fast too. The bedroom should be cool enough.

It was supposed to get up to 95 or so with a heat index of 105-110 degrees today but AFAIK it only got up to 93 degrees and felt like 98 a few minutes ago. If it got as hot as they predicted yesterday, and the relative humidity didn't drop as the temperature rose, the heat index would have been 152 degrees today. You can calculate the heat index by air temperature and dew point, or air temperature and humidity at this NOAA website.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

The hottest I worked in for GM that I know of was 130+ degrees. Not fun times to be tossing frame rails into welding fixtures all day. They had people come around and give us a paper cup full of Kool-Aid while we took a 5 minute break twice a day. But 130 degrees is nothing compared to the heat index at Fort Polk, LA in the summer. You know it's hot when the post commander orders the whole division to take off their fatigue shirts and work in T-shirts for the day. If the air temperature is 95 degrees but the humidity is 99% that makes the heat index an even 160 degrees, and it was very humid there all year. We had a couple of big parades in the summer and people passed out at both of them. We were told repeatedly not to lock our knees, and if you thought you were going to faint you were supposed to move to the rear of the formation and the person behind you would take your place. Every once in awhile I could hear the crash of a steel pot hitting the ground. Of course it was still strapped on to the person's head at the time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
Clark AFB, Philippines.  It was definitely not  a dry heat.  We stripped to shorts immediately upon landing.  Wrenches became slippery from all the sweat.

I loved it though.  Given I can dress for the occasion, I'll take hear/humidity over cold weather any day.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
I'll take the cold over extreme heat any day. When I go outdoors, I can always add more layers of clothes, or just wear warmer clothes if I'm too cold, but when I'm down to my undies and still too hot I can't take anything else off without getting arrested. Don't ask me how I know that. :-[ When I'm indoors, it's very easy and relatively fast and cheap to heat my house, but cooling it down to a comfortable level is impossible and very slow and expensive to try doing. The good news is I got the humidity down to barely above 60% in here, but only because it's 15% lower than that outside.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
I'm with you Alf.  After years of working on offshore platforms I'm adverse to the cold.  in the summer it was always over 100 on the topside steel decks.  Nothing quite like picking up tools with rags to keep from burning your hands....better than cold.

Though I gotta say after a couple of decades out of Tulsa with the low humidity up here I do suffer a few days getting reacclimated to high humidity. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »
How many of you guys hose off your outside units? I'm told they work much more efficiently if you hose out the dirt and dust that accumulates in the radiator vanes of the condenser at least once a year. I get a LOT of dirt when I do it. It's amazing how much dust there is out here that gets drawn into the unit.

Yeah, I wash mine out.  We don't have the issues you do with dust but we do get leaves and debris.  Usually when it get's to be 100+ and I dribble water on them help out with cooling the house.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:54:16 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
I was at Clark AFB, Philippines from Mar 72 to Aug 73...90+ and raining the day I got there and 90+ and raining the day if left... 110" of rain in 40 days during the monsoon

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
I was at Clark AFB, Philippines from Mar 72 to Aug 73...90+ and raining the day I got there and 90+ and raining the day if left... 110" of rain in 40 days during the monsoon

That would really suck for me. My city averages less than 32 inches of rain per year. That's 7.55 inches less than the national average, but it's enough to keep my lawn watered most of the time. It keeps my roses alive year after year. We have 1/3 less days per year with precipitation than the national average too, only 1.3 days per week on average. If I get a decent amount of sleep but just can't seem to get going, when I look out my window it's probably raining. And if I've been up for hours and suddenly get drowsy for no apparent reason, it's probably raining. Someone once told me it had something to do with the change in barometric pressure. I don't know if it goes up or down, and if the pressure change is in my ears, or what's going on. I just know it happens way too often to be coincidence. It doesn't seem to make the arthritis I have nearly everywhere any worse, and neither does cold weather, so that's good.

Timothy

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
October 76 - Key West, 80-90 degrees.

November 76 - Keflavik, Iceland, NOT 80 degrees...

After a year in Key Waste, it was quite a shock to the system.  They turned the sun back on in mid March in Iceland...

Still prefer cool over hot any day!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 07:35:02 PM »
The heat advisory that was supposed to end at midnight got extended to 6:00 p.m. today. The heat index was only supposed to be 95-100 degrees, 10 degrees cooler than what they predicted for yesterday. I checked a couple of times and it was 97 this afternoon. I don't know if that was the was the high, or if it was already cooling down. I only went outside once today, in the evening, and did everything I had to in a couple of minutes. That makes 2 days in a row that it was too hot to mow my too long grass. We'll probably have thunderstorms tonight and/or tomorrow but it shouldn't take long to dry so I can mow after that.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 02:40:20 AM »
I've done 38 years in Chicago, and 28 years in Arizona. I wouldn't do another Midwestern Winter if you bought me a 7 digit home there, and paid the taxes and utilities for the rest of my life. I hated the winters and never got used to them. Your vehicles all turn into a rusty POS in 5 years or less, from all of the corrosive road salt they dump all Winter long. Exhaust or shock absorber work is done with air chisels, not wrenches.

Every year I managed to get the flu. As soon as the first cold snap hit, people would come into work, all snotting, sniffling, and sneezing. Within a week I caught it. My knees would ache from the cold, damp weather constantly. I lived on Tylenol from November to May.

You had 90 day Summers, (June, July, and August), half of which it was either raining, or else threatening to. I never knew how short a Midwestern Summer was until I bought a boat. I only saw it 3 months out of the year. The rest of the time I was paying monthly fees while it was sitting in storage.

As soon as the Sun dipped below the horizon, you had to go inside, or else get eaten alive by Mosquitos. In the Winter below zero temperatures were common after January. Praying your car would start, so you could get to work. And if it did, you froze your ass off scraping ice and snow off the windows, and while driving it until it warmed up.

Since we moved to Arizona I have never had to concern myself with any of that. I feel great. The Sun shines over 300 days a year. My house is cool, comfortable, and DRY. I never have had to pull guns out of my safes to wipe them down. (In Illinois I had to do it every month or risk rust). I can change 10 year old shock absorbers with a Crescent wrench. (I say that because I've done it.) And I have NEVER gotten the flu, or a Mosquito bite in the last 28 years we've been out here. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk