Author Topic: Summer!  (Read 11304 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Summer!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
One of the worst heat waves in North American history was in 1936, and killed thousands of people. But there were days this summer that were even hotter than the same date in 1936. When you have days hot enough to kill even healthy people, the fatties may suffer more, but they're not wrong when they say it's too hot.

How many homes had A/C in 1936? So deaths from heat waves back then are irrelevant when compared to today. Of course more died. Especially the sick and elderly.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 06:55:26 PM »
The other side of that people in 36 were tougher then they are now.   People bitch at 90.   I spent all day on a roof when air temps were 103 on the ground, 140 on the roof....
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:21 PM »
They were more at risk back then for sure....

Life expectancy in 1936    56.6  60.6

Life expectancy in 1998     73.8  79.5

http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

Summer!
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »
I’m fat, well...  not real fat... 

But I fart a lot...climate changes around my ass frequently..

I do know that 90% humidity just plain sucks...I hate hot!

Give me spring, fall and winter.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2018, 12:29:33 AM »
How many homes had A/C in 1936? So deaths from heat waves back then are irrelevant when compared to today. Of course more died. Especially the sick and elderly.

I don't know Bill. How many?

I didn't say more people died then. I said we had some days this summer that were even hotter than 1936, "days hot enough to kill even healthy people". I didn't have A/C for almost half my life, and as recently as the 1990s went without it. Heat waves in other years do seem relevant to me, especially when we have days hotter than one of the historically worst heat waves to hit the continent.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 06:11:50 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2018, 04:55:47 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Sorry everybody, the fat boy likes a/c. 

When I was working offshore Gulf of Mexico in the 70's and 80's it was 100% humidity most of the time.  In July and August we had to pick up our tools from the steel decks with rags to keep from burning our hands.  I wasn't fat back then...and I liked the a/c a lot during that time!!!!  Every now and then we'd have an issue with generators being down or the a/c being out...I've slept on steel grating to stay cool.  It's not as bad as it sounds.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
Some of this is relative.

Weren't the Brits complaining about the brutal heat wave gripping London just a few weeks ago.  Record high temp I think.  Got up to 23c.

That's just under 74f.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
Some of this is relative.

Weren't the Brits complaining about the brutal heat wave gripping London just a few weeks ago.  Record high temp I think.  Got up to 23c.

That's just under 74f.

;D ;D ;D

When I was in HS I remember reading a blurb in the local newspaper copied from a Fairbanks paper, I think it was.  It went something like  "Fairbanks roasts in heat wave as temps skyrocket to 38 below."

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »
Another bot.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk