Author Topic: The Ruger Charger...will this work?  (Read 24961 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Ruger Charger...will this work?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »
continuing the saga...tried a new 25 round magazine yesterday, and had innumerable jams (failure to completely extract, leaving the spend case blocking the bolt moving forward)... 15 rounder works fine...

I've been using the "taco" hold with both hands extended forward, but fooling around with the somewhat extended wood touching my cheek, I get a very good eye box and dot stability... will give it a try at an outdoor range with some steel...

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about your range session, Les. Hope the next one is much better.

I'm amazed by your story of building your own fixture to cut a sear notch. You're really a walking gold mine of info on the 10/22 system.

Though I'm between academic contracts (my side job is as an adjunct faculty member at a college -- it pays for ammo and gun parts), I hope to line up the funds for a used Charger and a few parts. I really want to increase my range time opportunities, and a small .22 is my best ticket to that.

I'm sort of obsessed with compact and portable vehicle guns because of what happened to me in summer of 2007. I was stopped at a light, and a guy came up from behind me in the next lane. As he neared me, he swerved into my car, spinning me around completely. He'd gone into a diabetic coma while driving. The EMS that showed up said he would have been dead in minutes if he hadn't crashed into me and gotten an ambulance ride.

Anyway, through no fault of mine, I suddenly had to grab everything from the car -- in full view of two responding police officers -- before the tow truck guy drove it off to the body shop. It made me realize that anything I transport needs to be able to be removed from the vehicle in public, unless I'm headed to or from the range.

Another reason is that if things turn weird while I'm away from home, I want to put my firearm bag in my lap for driving. If I have to bail out of the vehicle suddenly, I want the gun to go with me. I'm OK with my laser gripped .357, but my aging eyes don't do well with regular open sights anymore. An optic on something that I can shoulder -- or at least hold in a cheek weld -- is much, much better. Even with "just" a .22LR, I can be dangerous out to 25 yards or more. My wife had a close call with a school shooter (his parents noticed the stolen guns, made a call, and he was arrested at school before he could start his rampage), and I've had multiple encounters with violence, including two attempted murders (I was the intended victim in one, a witness in the other). Very scary stuff can happen.

Wow, I really took it off the road and into the corn field! Sorry about that!

Les, I really value your knowledge. When I finally get my hands on a Charger, several of my choices will be thanks to you!

All for now,
Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
Wow, I really took it off the road and into the corn field! Sorry about that!

Les, I really value your knowledge. When I finally get my hands on a Charger, several of my choices will be thanks to you!

All for now,
Bob

Don't worry, you're fitting right in...... drifting is a special talent for this group!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Agree on this too.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
Getting the train to take a dirt road is the thrill of the drift!

LOL

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
I was going to say, just call us the drifters, but the name was already taken. Here's some music. How's that for thread drift?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSddD6w5SKc
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:58:42 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »

I'm amazed by your story of building your own fixture to cut a sear notch. You're really a walking gold mine of info on the 10/22 system.

As I have said before I am continually impressed with the degree knowledge I see here about firearms and other areas.  Truly impressive and Les sits up there with the best.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
guys, you are making me blush   ;D... most of what was done was out of necessity a by product of being old, very old...

Bob... I think the Charger, even in a pistol form would fill your requirements....I'd get the polymer stock basic pistol, and not a take down model to save weight... a 1x scope with illuminated reticle that is etched on the prism so you will have an aiming point even if the battery dies... modify the bolt release so it can be activated by slightly retracting the bolt handle....get carry magazines that are 100 percent reliable... after the years playing with a 10/22 I didn't realize the ejector is actually on the rear of the magazine lip and I'm working to get the 25 rounder to eject better.... with the scope mounted near the mag well, it works pretty good for a two hand extended hold, and a chin/cheek weld that is more accurate...(with your hand on the grip, bring your wrist area to your chin, makes for a very accurate hold for rapid fire)... good luck on your challenge

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2018, 10:15:25 PM »
"I'd get the polymer stock basic pistol, and not a take down model to save weight."
And a considerable amount of money. The takedown model is 35-36% more expensive. MSRP: $309.00 versus $419.00. You could use the $110 you save to put toward a scope.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Dirty Bob

• Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
Hey, guys,

I've been mostly off-grid for several days, deaing with some urgent personal business. It feels good to be back home.

A quick update:
I'm in the process of selling an item to pay some expenses and start this project. Sucks having a semester without any classes, but such is the daredevil life of the part-time (hobbyist) adjunct faculty member. At least I'm in a great department, and we have campus carry.

I'm planning to start with the chassis, a buffer tube (paracord wrapped), a long rail, and a Burris 2x pistol scope that I already have, with the intention of replacing the optic later. I've always preferred the non-takedown version of the Charger, thinking that it's lighter, simpler, less expensive, and maybe more accurate.

Two I've been looking at are:
(1) Bushnell AK Optics, 30mm tube, 1-4x, illuminated 7.62x39mm etched reticle.
(2) Vortex Strike Eagle, 30mm tube, 1-6x, illuminated AR-BDC etched reticle.

With either, I'd have to figure out the distances for the BDC with my chosen .22LR ammo. I'm leaning toward the Vortex, on the basis of their customer service reputation. Their scope is also almost an inch shorter than the Bushnell, and almost an ounce lighter.

Ultimately, I'm really jonesing for an arm brace that's somewhat similar to the collapsible stock on a French MAT-49 SMG.

MAT-49 submachine gun - public domain image

I could make the "butt" narrow to allow it to be used as a brace with either arm. Being able to shoot one handed isn't a bad idea. Collapsibles on ARs aren't compact enough, because they have the buffer tube to mess with. I could use a very short "stub" tube for some storage -- probably of cleaning tools and supplies -- and have a really compact arm brace. When extended, a wire brace (of aluminum or steel -- probably steel) has a side benefit of improving the balance of a very muzzle-heavy firearm. Folding mechanisms add weight, but it's just behind the pistol grip, so I suspect balance isn't improved by much.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, but I just like that type of stock or brace, and if I make it myself, it cuts the overall cost big time.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

-------------

Dirty Bob

• Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »
Here’s a weird thought: why not make my own chassis? I might be able to put it together from aluminum sheet metal, primarily. It could be mainly a simple, open-topped channel of aluminum — similar to an AKM’s steel receiver — with a “trunnion” at the back end (aluminum) for strength and to attach my retractable arm brace. The pistol grip could also attach in AK fashion. I could use nylon rails inside the chassis for a close fit that doesn’t tear up the Charger receiver.

Attaching rails would be no big deal, and I can use the standard screw to install the receiver. This might just work.

Dirty Bob
-------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk