Author Topic: 22 Mag Semi-Auto Rifle Input Wanted  (Read 4612 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
22 Mag Semi-Auto Rifle Input Wanted
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:54:05 AM »
I am planning on buying my wife a semi-auto in 22 mag so she can address errant coyotes that may want to dine on her little show dogs.  Maybe in 17 HMR.

Anyway, I am wanting reliability in a semi-auto more than anything.  I saw the Kel-Tec CMR 30 which may be real handy for her but I'm also interested in the CZ 512 or the Remington 597.  The Ruger 10/22M is made from unobtanium so I know it's out. 

Any of you guys have a semi-auto 22 mag for input into the purchase?  Reliability first...accuracy next...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: 22 Mag Semi-Auto Rifle Input Wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »
I don't have one but I'm interested in the Savage A22 Magnum. It's a delayed blowback and it's supposed to eliminate problems that some other designs have had. And there's a $50 rebate on them. CCI makes A22 ammo that I saw in their online catalog a couple of weeks ago. It's affordable for a .22 WMR and very accurate. I just found this article about them.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/7/21/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-savage-a22-magnum/

Or if you want a 10/22 style you can buy an 80% receiver and try not to screw it up. :)

https://www.ruger1022receiver.com/MAGNUM%20Page%2011.htm
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 06:48:25 AM »
Frank, the Savage is on the list and it has the 17 HMR which I think is better.  I need to get the wife into a gun shop this weekend to find out what she would be happy with....a "classic" rifle or something like an AR platform.  Alexander Arms has a cool 17 HMR...very pricey though.

But when it gets right down to it...she may just want to carry the ultimate poodle shooter..one of our AR's... in her side x side.  Hard to get an answer sometimes.....

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:55:06 PM »
I'd suggest a good trigger and good glass with range finding reticle for an AR if not already equipped with them....I just got my MBT 2S trigger (in gift wrap) from LaRue... looks good, just don't have a lower to put it in currently  ;)

if they are a serious problem (lots of neighborhoods here in Fla are devoid of outdoor cats) the ultimate accessory would be a PVS-14 to spot the critters

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »
The only reason I would consider a rimfire AR would be to use cheap ammo in it, and neither the .22 WMR or .17 HMR is cheap compared to .22 LR. Lucky Gunner is showing .22 LR as cheap as 2.8 cents per round and the cheapest .17 HMR they list is 22.5 cents per round, over 8 times as much. And there's .223 Remington at 20.5 cents per round, so it's cheaper to shoot .223 in an AR than it is .17 HMR.

Winchester Super X .22 WMR 40 grain JHP ammo isn't as bad at 17 cents per round. I don't know how the price of an AR built for it compares to the Savage rifle but the A22 Magnum is what everything I look at would be compared to.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:08:56 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »
I'd suggest a good trigger and good glass with range finding reticle for an AR if not already equipped with them....I just got my MBT 2S trigger (in gift wrap) from LaRue... looks good, just don't have a lower to put it in currently  ;)<snip>

It's going to be riding in a side by side getting bumped around.  I don't know if she wants to have a scope because of the extra time to aim....I do have a DMR build she can use with a Bushnell scope and bullet drops.  Well heck, lettus know about that trigger....ain't doin' you any good in the gift wrap!

The only reason I would consider a rimfire AR would be to use cheap ammo in it, and neither the .22 WMR or .17 HMR is cheap compared to .22 LR.<snip>

Gotta remember this is for a quick shot from the wife across maybe a couple of hundred yards.  That pretty much rules out 22 LR.  22 Mag drops a good bit and the 17 is only 7 inches low at 200 yards but not much good after that.  She may not want the muzzle blast of the 223.  We have about 40 acres open in different fields so a 400 yard shot is not out of the question and a likely shot no more than 250 yards.  The most likely shot will be 125-175 yards if she has time to get it off.  I know everyone wants a clean kill but this is more to protect livestock so it's not a hunting exercise...it's a protection job.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:45:10 AM »
the stadia lines on a 4x32 ACOG subtend 19" (man's width at shoulders) at the indicated distance.... a coyote is a little less than two stadia lines in length... once you figure the distance, hold over  at that correct stadia line, give him a half stadia line lead on the front shoulder if he's moving, and pull the trigger  :)

as far as rugged, my first ACOG was a TA01 that I got from a good friend that carried it into Kuwait during Desert Storm (he purchased it privately)... very good price to me as he was moving up... and made it through 6 Ft Benning 3 gun matches and a bunch of local matches without any reliability problems...

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 06:46:30 PM »
If your wife is shooting coyotes shot placement will be very important unless she doesn't care how long they suffer. Some guy my dad and uncle knew shot 2 coyotes with a .243 Winchester and both of them ran away. When he got home he called my uncle and told him about it. My uncle got a couple of dogs out of the pen and me, my dad and my uncle got on our snowmobiles and hunted down the wounded coyotes. They ran a long way with bullet holes in them but eventually I chased both of them down and finished each one off with a single shot my 10/22. Just plain old 40 grain .22 LR round nose bullets. When you're so close you don't need to aim, a .22 has enough power for the coup de grace, but being wounded by the .243 they ran for miles. There's no telling how long they would have lived before dying a slow painful death. Now I just leave them alone. The doggies have to eat something and I don't own anything that's on the menu.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
Yeah Les....I think that's going to be a bit more complicated than she's going to want to learn.  And the ACOG is pretty dang expensive....

Frank this is old time farm driven pest removal.  She doesn't care how much I suffer....I doubt the yotes will get a better deal.   

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »
LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk