Author Topic: House plans  (Read 11709 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: House plans
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »
No, i have not, but when it comes to icf systems, look for one that has a solid pore rather than chambers.   Less chance of having things find thr foam pockets.  Also remember the mix you use in them is closer to groute than concrete, so adding things like fibers can help you a bunch when it comes to storm protectio.  I would also look at some of thr newer steel trusses rather than wood.  They can take a little more force before the blow off.  Also dont do the security  glass. You want your windows blow out so the pressure  is equal inside and outside.  There is a company in so call that makes a icf that is ~16" thick with a plastic web separating  the insulation.  The name escapes me right now, but the open nature of its design allows lots of room for reinforcement.  It was orginally developed for dod.  I will try and see if i can find it for you.  It use to be sold thru white cap.  I know they have a location not too far from little rock.  They use to sell mainly tilt up supplys, that has changed since hd supply bought them out, but still worth checking thier catalog for it. 

Sorry about forgetting  the name, i suffer from crs

Edit, a shot gun house is 4 corner and tradtional/ functional
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 06:17:26 AM »
Yes...please, get some contact info on those guys.  DOD...probably going to be expensive but it's a one time cost.  I have two homes in my development built with the Poly-Steel ICF system in the 1996-1998 time frame.  At the time, they guaranteed the homes to 200 MPH winds and fiber is definitely going into the concrete!!! 

Tilt up supplies....pre-cast concrete I'm guessing?  That would be good thing if the place out of Little Rock did the ICF system you are speaking of and the pre-cast panels.  That was a great tip on the basement to speed things up with pre-cast panels. 

Two things I need to research further are 1) earthquake proofing and 2) having sufficient support in the basement to hold up 3-4' of dirt and 2 stories.  The dirt is to shield radiation...the house will be less than 30 miles from a nuke plant and prevailing winds are in my directions during the summer.  New Madrid, MO, is less than 200 miles from here too. 

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
I know about fire protection, and good drainage, but what are the options for wind protection ?
You can't plant trees big enough to act as a wind break, what about positioning the building at an angle to prevailing winds ?

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 08:05:00 AM »
For precast walls in basement, my concern is always water.  Depending on your geographic area and the water table, can you get good protection against ground water infiltration with precast walls?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
For precast walls in basement, my concern is always water.  Depending on your geographic area and the water table, can you get good protection against ground water infiltration with precast walls?

Just like a tilt up, what you use to seal up the joints is key.  Most precast walls use stronger concrete  then is pored in a tipcial basement wall.  They are also pored in ideal condtions.   Inside, on vibrating tables and fresh mix.  So while you generally  have less thickness, you have better mud with less voids.

Wind is rarely an issue with a home.  Its also not that hard to desing a structure for wind load.   

A yard of compacted earth is 3000# a yard dry.  Might want to look into how much concrete  thickness you need, it might be cheaper.  A 12" thick post tensioned slab is not that much and it would be easier to find an engineer to design for that.  I want to say the icf system was about $30 a block. The were like 4'x1'x1.5'  and they key med toegther unlike most that use either tape or adhesive.   White cap did not do pre cast themselves but sold a lot of it .   If i  get some time i will dig thru my archives and see if i can find it.    Sadly the home i built with it is over 10 years ago so the docs are gone from the tax files.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:18:23 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »
I sent you a pm with what they currently sell, it looks damn close.  If my old sales rep bobby was still working i know he would remember the order.  Her retired adt 43 years in concrete supply sales.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »
New toy coming next week.

Volvo 210

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »

yep thats what i am diging the foundations  with lol

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
That's what you get when the marketing geniuses don't look back to see where they have used that model designation in the past.  Heck, most of these engineers weren't even a gleam in their daddies' eyes when this model rolled off the line.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk