Author Topic: Any "Open Top" (Colt revolver) fans?  (Read 3549 times)

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Any "Open Top" (Colt revolver) fans?
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:39:34 PM »
I've always wanted a "conversion" revolver to shoot primarily with black powder cartridges, and I've finally taken steps in that direction! I purchased a Kirst Konverter and am shopping for a "Sheriff" length Colt 1860 by Pietta to use the cylinder in. I'm looking at Taylor's as my source, as they seem to have a good reputation. I blame Michael Bane for this quest, as he's featured open tops in videos before and has talked about them in podcasts! They look so fun!

There's also no revolver that I like the look and feel of more than the 1860 Colts. They just seem perfect, though I'd like to try something a little more compact, hence the Sheriff length barrel.

I love the .45 Colt the way Mr. Bane loves the .44 Magnum. I'm looking forward to loading some ammo with "Holy Black" and having lots of fun at the range! I have prior experience with cap and ball, but I'd like to try BP cartridges at long last.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me in this endeavor? It's not for any purpose higher than having fun and shooting a "hipster" revolver with friends. I may go ahead and make my own "slim jim" holster for it.

I'm very interested in learning more about these revolvers. I have Mike Cumpston's book on percussion revolvers. If there's any source that would guide me in checking out the revolver's action and doing any needed minor adjustments for reliability, please let me know.

Respectfully,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Any "Open Top" (Colt revolver) fans?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 11:45:36 PM »
Check out this website, https://mikebeliveau.com/ 
Mike has a lot of good information on C&B revolvers and I believe Open top cartridge  guns. He has lots of videos as well.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »
Check the Italian companies.
I THINK Pedersoli has a Thuer conversion reproduction.
Originals turn up pretty regular at Rock Island auctions but they are pretty expensive and I would not trust one to be safe with out serious examination.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:42:19 AM »
A couple vids about various types, I love sharing these, I think Forgotten Weapons, and C&Rsenal are great resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWa6lie6t4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JUfUVAxvk

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »
Check out Taylor's Firearms

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers.html

Not all companies that make reproduction open tops make, or have, cartridge conversions for them.  After research I confirmed my uneducated guess that it is due to strength of the frames.  Back in the 19th century they didn't have the concern.  You had as much chance of blowing up a cartridge gun as you did a non-cartridge, but when smokeless powder entered the party, that all changed.

Today, if you look at the different manufacturers you will find that some have conversions available and some do not, and they will clearly state that there is no conversion available in many cases.  Maybe you will find an aftermarket for that revolver, but if the manufacturer chooses to make conversions for some and not others, do you want to fight them on it?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:07:05 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:34 AM »
Mike generally they were Cap and ball frames manufactured with the conversion cylinders.
The switching was usually back to cap and ball because the conversions really weren't that good.
No one would have wasted time on them if S&W didn't have the Cartridge cylinder tied up with patents.
Things like "conversion revolvers, and Tit fire cartridges were lame attempts to just stay in business till Rollin White's patent ran out.

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
Let me say up front that one of the real strengths of these forums is the quality of the discussion. Take a look: every single reply was helpful in some way. Following Majer’s suggestion, I read Mike Beliveau’s awesome piece on self-defense with a cap-n-ball revolver. Buried in that article was some great info on barrel length vs velocity with black powder. It really helped me decide on what barrel length I want.

I already have a Colt-pattern .45 Colt conversion kit (for Pietta) from Kirst and have been deciding on the host pistol. The grip frame got me to choose the “.44 Navy” over the 1860 Army. I don’t have big hands, so a larger grip doesn’t help me. I’m thinking I want at least a 6-inch barrel, maybe 7.5 inches, and I’ll probably make my own front sight.

The videos that tombogan03884 linked were a lot of fun. I always enjoy Ian’s videos.

Now the bad news: I called Taylor’s yesterday, and their Pietta Navy is sold out, so I’m on the list, waiting to buy my revolver. It’sOk, though, as it gives me time to read more, lay in some springs and other spare parts, and to be ready for when it’s in stock again.

This is a project just for fun that I’ve wanted to try for years, so a small delay is no big deal.

All my best,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
I like odd actions. I REALLY wish I'd bought a La Matt back when the repro's were $180, now they're $ 1800.   :o

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Let me say up front that one of the real strengths of these forums is the quality of the discussion.

Indeed, and I'll stack the depth of real knowledge on this one against many of them with five times the membership.
And can you imagine the fluff you'd get on the book of face if you asked?

Your project sounds interesting.........and why not have fun?  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
When I was about 14 my Dad and I had a pair of Navy revolvers, we were siting loading them, This Mic Mac we knew was watching for a while, finally say's "How the hell did we lose against that ?"   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk