Author Topic: Any "Open Top" (Colt revolver) fans?  (Read 3520 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Any "Open Top" (Colt revolver) fans?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 09:46:52 PM »

You might find this article interesting....

The Road to Perfection with the 1851 Navy Conversion
https://www.cascity.com/the-road-to-perfection-with-the-1851-navy-conversion/4035/

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 12:58:40 PM »
I’m not prone to jealousy, but WOW! Thank you, Marshal, that’s a great article! My all-time favorite open tops are the Merwin Hulberts. Out of my price range, but they’re awesome!   8)

See the movie “Bone Tomahawk” for a scene where one is reloaded “on the clock.”

-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »
What a mechanism.
That mechanical fit is awesome.    ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
What a mechanism.
That mechanical fit is awesome.    ;D

That really was amazing when the vacuum it created pulled the barrel back up. Other than being slow to reload, a modern reproduction of a 3rd model with the shorter barrel looks like the kind of gun you could use for EDC. Here's a video of Ian with a teatfire revolver. Most people pronounce teat "teet" nowadays but I prefer the alternate, and equally valid, pronunciation "tit". I remember Frank Zappa calling tits "mammalian protuberances" in  one of his songs but tits is so much easier to say. Here's the Moore mammalian protuberance-fire revolver. :)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/teat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WANLhJ-dvY&feature=emb_logo
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
Wow, what a clever little revolver design! Ian does a great job explaining, and I just learned about a revolver type that I'd never heard of before.

Update:
I was able to purchase a Dixie Pietta kit for the 1851 in .44 caliber at the beginning of summer. Time has been short, so I'm making slow progress on the frame, which needs some filing on the flats and some sanding on the back of the recoil shield. I bought a great little front sight from Dixie, so I'm thinking of a 5-inch barrel with a new front sight.

You can see the grip and grip frame also need some reshaping and polishing. Lots of work to do, but at least I have a revolver to work on! I'm thinking of something that looks like a scaled-up version of one of the Colt Pocket models without a loading lever. I haven't decided if I'll add an ejector rod, or just go "Outlaw" and have a cartridge revolver with neither loading lever nor ejector, like something a backwoods gunsmith might have put together.

Looking close, you can see some of the rough edges, tool marks and other fun parts that I have the chance to work on! Since I have to hog out a channel in the side of the frame to allow access to the loading gate, the kit sorta' made sense. Besides, it was all I could find at the time, with the coronavirus ravaging Italy. Things haven't gotten any better since then: the supply of cap-and-ball revolvers has been overwhelmed by the demand, along with almost everything else gun-related.
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:23:39 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 10:41:53 AM »
Watch the C&Rsenal videos on the Reich's revolver, or Russian Nagant.
Mae spends a good bit of time bitching about the lack of casing pusher outer.   ;D

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
I have an unfired Teatfire cartridge in my collection somewhere, will have to dig it out and try to post a picture.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
I have an unfired Teatfire cartridge in my collection somewhere, will have to dig it out and try to post a picture.

You should post about your collection.
Every one shows off their guns, but things like cartridges are a lot more rare.
 577/450, .43 Spanish, Teat fire, Pin fire, Who ever sees these ?
Clips, chargers and magazines are another subject for collecting we never hear about.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
It's not that big of a collection, more like odds and ends that I accumulated over the years, But I'll try to post some of the more interesting ones.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
Not sure how the Picture will come out,
But it's 7.62 Nagant.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk