Author Topic: Who's Good At Math ?  (Read 6096 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Who's Good At Math ?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »
BAC  Sounds like you need to find her a job in Indiana .    ;D

BAC

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 11:07:49 AM »
BAC  Sounds like you need to find her a job in Indiana .    ;D

As soon as we don’t have to worry about in-state tuition rates.  ;)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 03:52:20 PM »
My brain is wired for machine shop and carpentry....Thousandths and fractions men, thousandths and fractions.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BAC

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »
My brain is wired for machine shop and carpentry....Thousandths and fractions men, thousandths and fractions.  ;D

Thousandths?  That’s carpentry. We do tenths at my shop.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
Thousandths?  That’s carpentry. We do tenths at my shop.

Where I worked, we held tolerances down to thousandths on a lot of in-house parts. When you're polishing a spool for a servo control, .005" too much and it won't work.
Some of the equipment I tuned-up held alignment specs down to .010" clearances.  ;D

I've also done a lot of metal fabrication and general carpentry/wood working in the past....so fractions were the norm.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:47:55 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »
Wow. Ya'll are a bunch of hacker's   ;D

Some of the parts I made are smaller than the tolerances you are talking about.   ;D
Biopsy cups 1 mm total length,  Tolerance was +0.00005/-0.0
Sheet metal we never did anything with more than +/- 0.005  +/- 1 degree.
Used to piss the old man off, he'd say cut me a block about this long.
I've got no depth perception give me a f@#$ing dimension.
We didn't work together well.   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 04:37:34 PM »
My last major contract with the dod.   The exterior of yhe creates were +/- 1/16"   the cradles inside were . 001"  yet they wanted them lined with felt that had a tolerance  of .005"  yeah, it was fun working with the engineers to explain to them how with in 2' on the same roll the felt coyld vari by that much.  Then they said f that give us neoprene, which was down to .002" from thier manufactor.  Then they said f it hard rubber.  Cracked me up.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »
Wow. Ya'll are a bunch of hacker's   ;D

Some of the parts I made are smaller than the tolerances you are talking about.   ;D
Biopsy cups 1 mm total length,  Tolerance was +0.00005/-0.0
Sheet metal we never did anything with more than +/- 0.005  +/- 1 degree.

Used to piss the old man off, he'd say cut me a block about this long.
I've got no depth perception give me a f@#$ing dimension.
We didn't work together well.   ;D

We never needed that kind of precision. We had a dedicated machine shop for dies and tooling, and they also had two guys that made repair parts for us.
If the machine shop was down for the weekend or holiday, I was the only person from Maint/Engineering that was allowed to use the mills or lathes to make emergency parts. If we had an obsolete hydraulic valve on an old machine that needed a new spool or a piston for a cylinder I could knock one out fairly quick. Most tolerances on stuff like that I'd hold to +/- .003".

In your arena, .030" is BIG....but on a 2500 Ton extrusion press .030" clearance all the way around the stem kept things from getting ugly.  ;D  ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
Why is it that some of the smartest groups of people, scientist and engineers, are the ones pushing metric system because it's so simple?

While simpleton's, like me, just know instinctively that if a 7/16" is a little tight I need to go to a 29/64"

Not many tool kits have 29/32" wrenches, or drill bits, and most stores don't sell nuts or bolts that size. It's a lot simpler it the only wrenches you need are in whole numbers like 8, 9, 10, 11, 12mm, with no weird fractions like 29/64 or 15/32. Plus numbers are easier to add and subtract when they aren't fractions. Half of the time people use decimal measurements instead of fractions, and if you're going to convert to decimals anyway, why not use a decimal system to begin with, like metric? When you want to change from one unit of measurement to another in metric you only have to move the decimal point, instead of dividing by 12 or multiplying by 36, etc. You don't need a calculator to do it, and the only thing you need a pencil and paper for is to move the decimal point, not long division or any other such nonsense that a lot of people can't even do. And no converting "standard" measurements to the worldwide standard and back, introducing unnecessary possibilities for errors that sometimes have disastrous effects.

If a 10mm wrench is too small, I try a 12mm. I don't have to worry about whether or not there's anywhere on the planet I can get a 10 29/64mm wrench, and at what cost, or how long it will take to get one. If 10mm is too small and 12mm is too big, I know it's 11mm and not one of 128 sizes from 10-12mm 1/64mm increments. Unless it's something made to the "English" measurements, which the English don't even use, with a  metric label slapped onto it like 1/4" hex head screws that say 6.35 or 6.4mm on the label.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »
If the machine shop was down for the weekend or holiday, I was the only person from Maint/Engineering that was allowed to use the mills or lathes to make emergency parts. If we had an obsolete hydraulic valve on an old machine that needed a new spool or a piston for a cylinder I could knock one out fairly quick. Most tolerances on stuff like that I'd hold to +/- .003".

They would have freaking LOVED you at the old Thompson Center Arms  ;D
The head of Maint. was a Co founder of the original Company.
His hobby was restoring antique machines, when he ran out of barn space he leased them to the Company    ;D
The 2 Blanchard grinders I roughed out Contender receiver's on had serial numbers 0018 and 0020 made in 1918. They had Frankfort Arsenal Data plates, they had been used to make Dog leg Enfields.
That was the stuff that got burned up in the big fire in 1995.

Big Frank, I use caliber conversions to cheat. 6.35 =1/4 inch, 10 mm is a little under 1/5 then I wing it from there   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk