Author Topic: American made.  (Read 9632 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
American made.
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »
So recently i have been looking to buy some products, but can not find any that are made in the usa. Whats worse is i can get them from china ( illegally mind you, but from  the same factory  as the real thing) for 1/8th the cost the company sells them for. The material costs are litterely  a few dollars on something that sells for $80...

My sickness of not being able to leave things be has lead me down the road to actually get pricing for producing said products.  I have ball park pricing for a small trial  production run and a meeting with a lawyer tomorrow.
If so my big selling point is made in the usa, on us made machines at a livable  wage.   

Its a sickness i tell you, a sickness.

Ps and tom, thanks for the imput, funny thing it actually made me want to do it.   I a cnc shop, tube bender and a injection moulding shop on board now.  Just need to find/ buy a vibratory polisher and a hand reemer to de burr.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: American made.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
Look forward to learning more about this project.

Two Anecdotes:

During my brief hospital visit I decided to replace my toaster with a US made one.   Don't ask why this just became an issue, but when you're confined to a hospital bed with no visitors and lousy cable TV the mind does strange things.    Long and short I think I got took, it's from an Australian company with a US presence, but I think ultimately it still came from China.   

Today I was visiting Academy Sports and for some odd reason, decided to look at fishing rods (I haven't been fishing in decades and don't anticipate doing so in the near future).   Much to my shock most of them were made in China.    Really?     If do go fishing, I just might try making my own rod.  I didn't dare even look closely at reels.  My guess it there's not a US made one.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:25:14 PM »
Its just some bent ss tubing that for some reason cost $80.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 06:13:28 PM »
Seamless or welded tube?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
Seemless.   5/8 od .012 wall thickness.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:46:34 AM »

tombogan03884

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 06:39:21 PM »
Seemless.   5/8 od .012 wall thickness.

Stainless I presume?  Seamless is more expensive and small quantity can be costly. 

McMaster Carr or Grainger will be way overpriced so finding a large house for big quantities is a way to keep cost down

(30 years in manufacturing, purchasing and process development...)

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Fresh caught Norwegian haddock filets.
Come in boxes covered with Chinese writing where they were sent for packing.   :-\

TAB will wind up running another business.   ;D
Everytime he sees something he could build FT* gets a new product line.   ;D
Cool, some one to tell about my bright ideas .   ;D

*  Fabrique TAB     ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
Stainless I presume?  Seamless is more expensive and small quantity can be costly. 

McMaster Carr or Grainger will be way overpriced so finding a large house for big quantities is a way to keep cost down

(30 years in manufacturing, purchasing and process development...)
  only about $.40/  ft for 316. If i buy in 20' sticks.   McC wanted almost $2/ ft.

If your intrested i can show you the product in a pm.  Its basicly, some bending, cnc lathe, cnc milling , tig tacts and vibratory  polishing.     I would be shocked if you made some very basic fixturing  for the mill you could easily pop out 10 a min with load times.   The lathe with bar feeder would not be far from that.    Only real hand time is de burr and tig tact.  Which i am sure could be done in under 2 mins .

The prob is a very niche product and at its current  price point it is worth it.  Drop that down a 25% it gets less so.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
  only about $.40/  ft for 316. If i buy in 20' sticks.   McC wanted almost $2/ ft.

There is a theater lighting company that sells 1/2" black iron pipe for $10/ft also.   I was in the wrong end of that business, for sure.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk