Author Topic: Do You Find Yourself Sleeping More Or Less Since Retirement ?  (Read 26029 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Do You Find Yourself Sleeping More Or Less Since Retirement ?
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2021, 06:04:06 PM »
A finished one to move in or to build on your place?

I don't want to build it or paint it. So yes, fully finished, delivered and placed.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »

You should price out 2x3s.   They are about $3/ each.   The loss in strength  is no big deal for a shed

Yep.

And if strength is a concern, they are cheap enough to go on 12" centers instead of 16 and that increases the load bearing a bit. Skin it with metal siding.... metal is up as well, but nothing like wood.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
Yep.

And if strength is a concern, they are cheap enough to go on 12" centers instead of 16 and that increases the load bearing a bit. Skin it with metal siding.... metal is up as well, but nothing like wood.
   most commercial  wood sheds use 2x3 on 24" centers

They also use the osb t111, as it does not warp like traditional  t111 so you can get away with that.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »
   most commercial  wood sheds use 2x3 on 24" centers

They also use the osb t111, as it does not warp like traditional  t111 so you can get away with that.

I tend to "overbuild" stuff.  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2021, 03:26:45 PM »
I tend to "overbuild" stuff.  ;D  ;D
it is very easy to over build, it is very hard to build something that will just barely hold the load.

If you have a spec for a bridge to hold 10k#  you build it too hold 20k.  To build it to only hold 10001# is hard

Sponsor

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:23 AM »
Bill your in LHC right?   I have a friend that is a retired contractor there.  He does a lot of handy work, he might be interested in helping you out.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2021, 03:02:01 AM »
Bill your in LHC right?   I have a friend that is a retired contractor there.  He does a lot of handy work, he might be interested in helping you out.

I've been talking this over with the wife, and I think what I'm going to do is hold off until the Fall. Maybe by then the lumber prices, along with demand will ease up a bit. This can't go on forever. Then, as much as it doesn't thrill me, I'm thinking of building it myself. I've got everything I need, including power right where I can tap into it.

If I sign on to a commercially built unit now, the earliest possible delivery they can give me is July.... Possibly even late August. So it's not like I'll get it quickly. Not to mention most of them want 100% up front. That just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't know if it's Covid or what, but it's much the same with stoves and ranges. It's like they're not being built. Who the hell ever thought there would be a "shortage" of kitchen stoves? Lowe's and Home Depot don't have ANY of the nicer double oven models in stock. The wife has been wanting one for over a year now. And it just keeps getting worse. The house we bought here 20 months ago is up over  65%. The insanity continues.

Timothy

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2021, 06:58:30 AM »
I think we’ve discussed this before but I’ll still warn against buying appliances from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

I bought a Toro mower from HD and when needed, could not find an independent authorized dealer to service it...

Having worked at Lowe’s, I don’t bother with them for anything!  Probably the worst management I’ve ever encountered!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
I think we’ve discussed this before but I’ll still warn against buying appliances from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

I bought a Toro mower from HD and when needed, could not find an independent authorized dealer to service it...

Having worked at Lowe’s, I don’t bother with them for anything!  Probably the worst management I’ve ever encountered!

I agree with you on some of their products. Water softners, faucets, (except for hose bibs), and certain other plumbing supplies, I avoid them. But where are you supposed to buy appliances? Especially when no one has them in stock. Here we have Lowe's, Home Depot, and that's it. We don't even have a Best Buy. And I'm not driving to Phoenix or Vegas for a damn range. And even if I did their stock is bare as well. And if they had it, they'd kill me with shipping.

Both of the generators I bought from them, (Lowe's) run like raped apes. And they had them in stock when no one else did. So again, I couldn't buy from anyone else if I wanted to. They pretty much have a monopoly on this kind of stuff in a 50,000 to 100,000 population demographic town.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »

I don't know if it's Covid or what, but it's much the same with stoves and ranges. It's like they're not being built. Who the hell ever thought there would be a "shortage" of kitchen stoves? Lowe's and Home Depot don't have ANY of the nicer double oven models in stock. The wife has been wanting one for over a year now. And it just keeps getting worse. The house we bought here 20 months ago is up over  65%. The insanity continues.

Same with mowers. I think it's a combination of lower factory production cascading down from months ago along with folks spending the stimmy cash on stuff they wouldn't have bought normally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk