Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Stock  (Read 2659 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Smith & Wesson Stock
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 06:46:06 AM »
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »
Sell vs. Wait for spin off

This is the poker game played by speculators.  The wealthiest speculators make and lose large sums playing this game, but just like buying the stock in the first place, if you don't take the risk you don't have an opportunity to gain.

Speculation is all about the strength of your gut.  Alf's gut appears to be stronger than mine, but that is why my 401K is in a conservative area and returning below average.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
Sell vs. Wait for spin off
Alf's gut appears to be stronger than mine, but that is why my 401K is in a conservative area and returning below average.

I'm only risking 100 shares, not any of the family fortune, or as Miss kKitty calls it, the family mis-fortune.
And this money is kept in a separate account, kinda like a Christmas fund account.  Back in the earlier days of email and internet I had access to a news service which allowed me to get stock info as soon as it was released.  I played the stock split game, buying as soon as a company announced an upcoming split, and selling soon after they split.  While I made hefty returns %-wise, the amounts hardly ever exceeded four digits. So no I don't have a strong gut for this, and no I'm not rich. 

Retirement accounts, 403s and IRAs, are invested aggressively.  I'm taking out almost double the RMD and they're not shrinking.  That'll change in the next couple of years as my life expectancy decreases and the IRS wants its due.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 11:27:52 AM »
So its just "play" money.  100 shares is nothing in stocks.  Still it is $400 more than you had before.

I have a guy that i have used for a long time that has been between 15-20% return ever year, but he takes 20% of what he makes.   I gave him 10k in 2011. The account now has just under 50k in it. I have little doubt i am his smallest account.   I keep telling myself i should add a zero too it, then something  comes up and the money us needed else were.   Like now, my "play" money is tied up in 3 other projects.  1 is already  sold out,  thr 2nd and 3rd are long term projects.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »
I know you're just wondering, "How's old Alfie's S&W stock doing?"

Closed at $26.715 today.   I bought in at $18.  That's a 48% in 2 months or 288% yearly.   Wish I had put some real money into it.  But I only play with the cash-on-hand.   Here's the past year's chart.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:16:03 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »
Sell.   

Yeah.  What Tab said. 

A gain is a gain. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
Nope.  Not gonna do it.

The objective was to buy in before the split and wait for it to happen.  Nothing extraordinary has happened to change the plan.  Stay the course.

In fact with Karmla Harris nomination things can only get better for S&W, and Ruger, between now and November.

What would be even better would be if Biden declines the nomination and either Hillary or Michelle becomes the Dem candidate.  Oh that would really spike sales.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
SO HOW DID THAT WORK OUT, ALF?

Very well thank you.

The spin off was yesterday and they got all the cost basis worked out last night.

As of 1:30pm today.   American Outdoors (AOUT) has gone up 20% in one day.   S&W (SWBI) has increased 39% in the last 3 months.

As soon as my "play" account accumulates some cash from dividends end-of-the-month, I'll buy enough AOUT to make it an even 100 shares.  And the SW I'll let ride for the time being. 

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk