Author Topic: Civilians carrying handcuffs.  (Read 1845 times)

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1422
Civilians carrying handcuffs.
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:49:41 AM »
Looking for opinions here. What are your ideas of civilians carrying handcuffs in their car? While I NEVER intend to try to cuff someone (I am not a cop and not paid for that). The issue on another thread about Narcan and having to cuff someone before using the Narcan started me thinking. I have what I call an emergency bag in the trunk and "thinking" about putting in a pair of handcuffs or, as some of you have mentioned, flex cuffs.

Thoughts?
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Civilians carrying handcuffs.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 08:11:41 AM »
Check your local /state laws, In some states it is illegal to handcuff someone unless you're a sworn Police/Peace officer. Also if not properly trained on how to cuff someone you can cause damage to the wrists that will cause you to lose anything of value in a law suit.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
Long zip ties are just as good and multi use.
Lets see you use a pair of cuffs as a chamber flag .   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »
What is Narcan?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
My FA training has always been what you might call Gonzo First Aid.  Not a lot of niceties, the three "B"s I always called it.   Keep them Breathing and Beating and stop the Bleeding.   There might be a formal term like "field trauma" or something for it.  What's amazing all four rounds of training were done by vastly different groups, USAF, City of Jax, Ft Bend County and Cobb County but it all had the same message. 

Do what you can to keep them alive long enough for the pros to arrive
Don't put yourself in more danger than necessary
You can't save everybody.  (You can't carry every possible thing for every possible situation)

So my take is:  No I'm not going to put myself in jeopardy dealing with an uncooperative person.  When they wear themselves out then, yes, I'll do what I can from that point.   

Keep in mind also the weight/space/usefulness triangle.  You have trade-offs.  Everything you add to your kit takes space and adds weight.  How useful will it be?  I'd trade the handcuffs for another Israeli Bandage and clotting pad.   I can't carry everything needed for every situation so I carry only what to me I will most likely need. 

I plied the rock concerts venues for the City of Jacksonville for 2 years and we never once had an OD that needed to be restrained.  I doubt as a civilian I'll ever see one.   YMMV especially if you tread in the high drug areas.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:46:00 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:17:23 AM »
Have been thinking of the cuffs question   since TAB's post also.

As the world seems to be moving to the 'wild side'  there maybe occasions where you do need to hold someone at gunpoint for the safety of yourself and/or others.

In that case some means of restraint would mean some additional distraction would not break your 100% concentration on the perp and allow them to pursue bad action. 

I'd take my chances of getting in the dog house about securing someone I needed to hold at gun point.

And if that restraint would eliminate the need for the firearm to be deployed, everyone is safer.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
Zip cuffs wieght  next too nothing.  You can buy a single pacl for around $5 on amazon or a 10 pacl for 20.  Over the years i have arrested  more than a few people stealing from job sights.  When the option is hold them at gun point ir cuff them  its a no brainer.

Narcan is an opioid od reversal med.  The misses recently had to give some one a dose of it.  I screwed up, i should have cuffed him before he woke back up.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
What is Narcan?

The drug used to counteract opioid overdose.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
What I am hearing is to use a set of zip ties. They don't add weight and can be used for MANY things other than handcuffs. I do already carry a few cable ties but they are too small for restraint use. I will simply supplement them with the larger ties and keep them around.

To answer, I would not get close enough to put them on anyone that is already up and moving, especially if they are high, if I have ANY OTHER choice (i.e. hold them at gunpoint) but, as TAB said, anyone that is already overdosed, using Narcan and "ruining" their high can make some of them very mad. Having them restrained before administering Narcan is a good idea. If they are not acting up after administrating Narcan they can always be cut loose.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
if you seriously feel you should carry zip ties for use as restraints,  I think it would be a good move to look at TAB's recommendation of the specific use Zip Cuffs....  They sure look like they would make the process much easier, less cumpersome...which could well be a life saver in that situation...check them out...find a selection here:

https://www.amazon.com/zip-cuffs/s?k=zip+cuffs

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk