Author Topic: USPSA NATIONALS Revolver - 2020  (Read 1999 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
USPSA NATIONALS Revolver - 2020
« on: July 24, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »
On the bucket list has been the USPSA Nationals.   This year they're in Talladaga, AL and I got a slot in the Revolver Division.  It's on Sunday, 9/6.  L10 and Revolver will be shooting together.   I'm in squad 406. 

Anybody else going?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

Re: USPSA NATIONALS Revolver - 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
No but if I can find, I’ll watch on the tele!

Good luck or break a leg, since yer a theatre guy!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
No but if I can find, I’ll watch on the tele!

Good luck or break a leg, since yer a theatre guy!

You are a mean on Timothy!  Telling an old guy to "break a leg" during a run and gun game.  However, your theater guy add on, and the fact that he has made air time on a shooting show, may make it acceptable.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
I understand break-a-leg, Tim, thanks.

One theory is this arose from Vaudville, where many acts were on standby and didn't get paid unless they actually went on-stage.  The side curtains are called "legs", so if you break a leg it meant you went on-stage and got paid.

<MORE RAMBLINGS>  Ballet uses the term Merde! which mean shit.  One theory is that if you did good there would be a lot of admirers at the stage door afterwards, who possibly would treat you to dinner and parties.  The more admirers the more carriages would be on the side street.  The more carriages and the more horses and the more the manure. So a measure of a good show was how much manure, merde, was in the street afterwards.

There is a Limited10 Super Squad  (think Casey Reed)
A Revolver Super Squad (think Josh Lentz)
And a SafariLand Super Sqaud (think Phil Strader, Julie Golob, and Rob Leatham)  They are all shooting Limited10 except Rob who is shooting Revolver.

Shooting USA will undoubtedly cover these three squads and make a big deal of Rob competing with a revolver.  I'll try to take lots of pictures and do a write up afterwards.

I'm way down on the list.  Probably won't make the B roll.  But hey, if they're looking for a run-of-the-mill, first time Nationals shooter perspective, I'm always available.

By far, a step beyond IRC, this the biggest match I've attended in terms of sponsors, hype, prizes and media interest.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
Loved the rambling.   ;D
My head is stuffed with stuff like that.
I actually read U Haul trucks.   ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:17:42 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Warming up for the nationals. 

Got to brag.  The guys at my local IDPA indoor match were ragging on me being the only revolver shooter.  The organizer had posted on Facebook about how revolver shooters are like flowers.  We don't look left or right and compare ourselves with other flowers, we're just happy with being who we are.

SO...  last night skills stage.   4 targets, best 3 hits on on each target, WEAK HAND ONLY.   I'm decent with my weak hand.  ALSO, this format gave me a little bit of an advantage because I reload between targets 2 and 3.  So I only had to "acquire" 4 targets.  Semi-auto shooters have to re-acquire target 4 after their reload (they can only have 11 rounds to start), so they had to "acquire" 5 targets in essence.

I placed 8th out of 30 and was right behind the the guy making fun of me (good natured).   I even beat out 2 PCC shooters, who didn't have to reload at all.  (They probably had malfunctions, like FTF, FTEj, FTEx, terms foreign to us revolver shooters.)

So I posted this picture on our groups FB page with the comment:  "SSgt Sauve' did it, in bay 2 with the revolver.  Before you make fun of old, revolver shooters better be checkin' your six."

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 11:22:05 AM »
I'm back and so tired, sun burnt and sore.   Wow. 

Just right off the top, I didn't finish last.  Barely.

WOW:  We were right behind the Revolver Super squad after lunch.  They were a little slow because of Challenges.   And of course they score V-E-R-Y carefully.  But watching Poggie and Lentz and others shoot was cool.  Master shooter, John Koppi was in my squad, finished 9th.  He was a great guy and enjoyed shooting with him.   

I learned a lot more about shooting USPSA.   And I really appreciate the opportunity to shoot at this level.

-We had a Par Time classifier and I could have finished much higher but didn't fully understand the scoring. (my fault I was tired)

-Always double check your steel to make sure it actually fell.

-My Federal ammo makes PF with a comfortable margin.  Don't sweat it.

-USPSA provided lots of water and Gatoraid.  They had golf carts to shuttle you up and down the range.  A real plus.  Lunch was hamburgers and hotdogs with sides. Tasty and adequate.

-UPSSA provide a post match horderve buffet with a lot of real nice tasty food while we waiting for awards.

-While TMP is a great facility, shade is at a premium.  It really saps you after  a while being in the heat.  Glad I had my chair and umbrella.

-With only 10 on a squad you're busy pasting.  Maybe too busy.  You almost spend more time pasting than catching you breath between shooters.

-You can rent Golf Carts for personal use at TMP.  Getting me one next time.

-USPSA changed the squad schedule without notification.  Communications could have been clearer.

-Other than a sunglasses vendor and PremEar, there were no vendors and no souvenir shirt or accessories for sale.  You'd think the sponsors, Safariland, would have had a dealer out there with large tents, and Ruger would  be demonstrating the GP100.

-I enjoyed the courses of fire.  They were fun and challenging but not that complicated.  I would have thought at least some of the stages would be a little harder to figure out and provide for a lot more variety in shooting strategy.

No secret, I'm not a great shooter and do tend to emphasize accuracy over speed which means my Hit Factors are the pits.  Still I love the challenge and the game.    I'll go it again if it's close by, like TMP, but I miss IRC.

Sorry not a lot of time for pictures.  Just too busy and too tired.

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »
Superior Senior ?
Requirements :    Find car keys
                       #2  Find car.      ;D

Is this the first year for that group, or location ?
 Or normal vendors  just all FU due to the virus?
Rest and Hydrate !
Sun used to get me after every air show.   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
All I have this to compare to is IRC and GSSF.  Both of which have more vendors displaying and selling wares.  It could have been there were more vendors Fri/Sat for the Single Stack and that because Sunday was "JUST" the L10 and Revolver shooters the vendors packed up and went home.  it was a holiday.

We fist-bumped the ROs after each stage for a thank you, but when the match was over it was manly-man handshakes all around.  Sort of spontaneous.  When you sweat with 10 guys/gals for 8 hours, there's a bonding that transcends the protocols.  Then too, my squad was all revolvers.

One the bright side you know those 4 wheel folding carts many use on the range?  I can tell you they really can take a beating.  Dragged mine behind a golf cart for about a mile of gravel, not dirt, but chuncky gravel road, and it didn't fall apart.

So got to move on:
Thursday - USPSA indoor w/ 2 classifiers.  Going Production for the classifiers with a P320.
Saturday - ICORE postal match - Classic division
Friday - GSSF National match back in Taladega
Sunday(9/27)  -  USPSA GA State.  (1/2 day 10 stages)  Back to Revolver.
Friday (10/9) - GSSF Dawsonville (almost as big as Nationals)
And then all other Thursdays nights, IDPA indoor revolver.  (maybe SSP or CDP for fun this winter.)
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk