Author Topic: Insulated Garage Doors  (Read 1936 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Insulated Garage Doors
« on: August 10, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
When we bought our house last year here in Lake Havasu City, one of the biggest pluses for me was the large, boat deep, almost 1,000 sq. ft. 3 car attached garage it had. It was also evaporator cooled, which meant I could store temperature sensitive goods like ammo and other reloading components out there as well.

The cooler kept the temperatures low enough for safe storage of these items. The garage doors were non insulated. And when the late afternoon Sun hit them, the inside of both doors got so hot you couldn't hold your hand on them without having to pull it off. The double door had some damage to the bottom panel and looked crappy.

I ended up getting a good price on 2 brand new insulated doors, and had them installed a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe the difference! The garage keeps at least 10 degrees cooler in the late afternoon. And I don't have to start the cooler until much later in the day. I had no idea it would make such a big difference. I'm guessing this is also going to help in keeping it warmer in the cooler Winter months. And will allow much less heat to transfer outside.

If any of you are considering new garage doors, go with an insulated garage door. They aren't much more money, and with the energy savings, you'll be money ahead. Especially if you pro rate it over the life of the door.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Insulated Garage Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 08:53:14 AM »
they also help with noise.  just heaven help you if your spring breaks, they are very heavy.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 09:48:43 AM »
This house came with a 400# solid wood, double door.  When I finally could afford it I replaced it with a fiberglass one that was under 150#.  I don't want to go back to a heavier door. 

Insulated doors work both ways.  When you park the car and close up the garage then all that heat is trapped inside.  Before you suggest, for security we don't leave the garage door open unless we going/coming or working in the garage. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:50:04 AM »
This house came with a 400# solid wood, double door.  When I finally could afford it I replaced it with a fiberglass one that was under 150#.  I don't want to go back to a heavier door. 

Insulated doors work both ways.  When you park the car and close up the garage then all that heat is trapped inside.  Before you suggest, for security we don't leave the garage door open unless we going/coming or working in the garage.

I never leave mine cracked open either. A lot of people around here do. Especially in the hot weather. Some, like my neighbor across the street, even open them in the morning, and leave them wide open all day long until they go to bed at night. There is no way I would do that. It's just asking for theft. The overall property crime rate around here is pretty low. But with the schools all closed until God knows when, there are a lot of kids running around, bored to death. Many are just looking for mischief to get into. Out of sight = out of mind, as they say.

Before I had these new doors installed, I was considering those insulation kits they sell at Home Depot and Lowe's. They basically are a bunch of Styrofoam panels you cut and fit into your existing door panels. I believe once you get them in you apply some type of adhesive to keep them from moving around, and / or falling out. They sell for around $70.00 and up depending on size, amount of panels, etc. The better one's have the insulating foam backed with foil.

I'm glad I went with what I did. The inside panels look clean, with no gaps. If you decide to go with insulated doors, (or any new door for that matter), shop around. Prices on these thing fluctuate wildly. On 2 doors, (double & single), I found as much as almost $1K difference. I ended up going with a local guy, who was recommended to me by the people who painted my house. He was an excellent guy to deal with. He came right over after I called, measured everything and gave me a quote. And he got the doors in 4 days earlier than he said. And he installed them the very next day. And he never asked for a dime until the job was finished. Everyone else wanted deposits. Some wanted 50% or more.

Stay away from these national chains like, "A-1 Garage Doors". They charge as much or more for a non insulated door, than I paid for insulated one's. And both came with all new tracks, hardware, rollers, and springs. Some don't. Just new springs. It's like buying anything else these days. If you're not careful, you'll get clipped.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »
ALWAYS shop around !
A local friend of mine is a contractor.
He was hired to replace an entry door, the lady wanted as close as she could get to the one she has.
He found 3 places that had them,
1- $1209
2 - $599 (special order)
3- $299 cash and carry.

Guess which one she got .    ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:03:23 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
Another good indication of too high of a quote, is that once you get it, if you mention that you're going check around, and the guy comes back with, "If you find anyone lower, I'll match or beat their price". That tells you right out of the gate he's charging too much. If he wasn't, he would give you a price that he would know for certain would be hard to beat.

These guy's all know what their competitors charge. They're just trying to get as much as they can. I don't blame them for that. It's just a stupid way to let a customer know you're outright overcharging them from the get go.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »
On the other hand , and this applies to any sale, if the buyer snaps it up you know your price was to low.   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 07:10:37 AM »
they also help with noise.  just heaven help you if your spring breaks, they are very heavy.

Especially a double door.  I've replaced the spring twice.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Always had torsion springs.  Made my self a set of rods to loosen and tighten the springs.  Over the years I've replaced a number of them.  I guess they're typically good for 5,000 operations, but there are some variables such as  size of the wire, size of the coil, number of turns, temperature and weight of door. 

SO...  yes, after the last new set I've installed a counter.  When it breaks I'll be sure to post the count. We average about 5 cycles (open then close) a day, though I'm thinking it's become less since we retired.  I'll check because I periodically log the reading in case the counter fails.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:09:58 AM »
Always had torsion springs.  Made my self a set of rods to loosen and tighten the springs.  Over the years I've replaced a number of them.  I guess they're typically good for 5,000 operations, but there are some variables such as  size of the wire, size of the coil, number of turns, temperature and weight of door. 

SO...  yes, after the last new set I've installed a counter.  When it breaks I'll be sure to post the count. We average about 5 cycles (open then close) a day, though I'm thinking it's become less since we retired.  I'll check because I periodically log the reading in case the counter fails.

I would be interested in something like that. Could you post some links, or a picture of it? Is it a common item you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk